[Doom Patrol Club] Doom Patrol Comics (1964-): Issues #98-103 (March 16-22) (Week 6)

“The Death of the Doom Patrol.” During a training session, the Doom Patrol are called to the control room by the Chief, who explains that he is disbanding the group! Plus, “60 Sinister Seconds!”

Welcome everyone to another wonderful week of Doom Patrol Club! This week we’ll be reading more of the beginning issues of the group! And learning more of their strange adventures! Here’s the link below to jump in!
:robot:Doom Patrol Comics #98-103

You’ll have until these dates here-----> 2020-03-16T05:00:00Z2020-03-22T05:00:00Z

Once that’s done, as always put what you think down below! Love to hear what you thought about it and…Let’s Discuss! :robot:

3 Likes

Thanks for faithfully posting these weekly. I will continue to shovel out from 3 weeks behind. It’s funny how much longer these gems take for me to read than modern comics do.

2 Likes

No problem! Happy to post each week for everyone to read and enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, thank you, @ProActress2O!

Same! They’re so much simpler and less demanding, but sometimes it’s still a slog. I don’t know why!

1 Like

No problem! Yeah, feel like back then was a bit different than it is now.

1 Like

Good heavens, those of sensitive feelings be warned, #98 has some vicious insults

4 Likes

Oh my :scream:

1 Like

The bad attempts at insults don’t stop there.
I think if I let loose on these kids with real insults, the would all end up as puddles on the floor.

3 Likes

the head of lettuce one is pretty good. filing that away in case i ever see a green person.

1 Like

Genetically I don’t know how that works. Pa is frightened by Iceberg Lettuce which is strange enough, but it changes his DNA? I like mister dissertation about penicillin to try and get out a slam.
This is an insult “Hey, snot boy!” See that’s how it’s done.

3 Likes

i believe the “was your [parent] frightened by a [thing]” was once a common insult format. i don’t know why i believe that.

1 Like

Stupid anti-science kids

2 Likes

Hey Doomsters,
Couple of issues in, but thought I’d drop a note. Of course our big development is the introduction of Craig, the Beast Boy. I like the intro, though I think the “Cliff is a jerk” thing goes a touch too far, but I guess it is 1960s comics. It does give the team a new dimension. I’m still enjoying the more serialized nature of the story telling, particularly the jerk that is Beast Boy’s guardian. Terrible person, but adds an interesting challenge to “Craig” and the DP.

The backup story of Robot Maniac (bonus points for the name) is starting to get really interesting.

So now he’s suddenly Gar, and he’s going to be killed. Connection?

Now the sad news. The main story in #100 leads to the Challengers of the Unknown. Unfortunately, Challengers jumps from I think issue 8 to 82, which is 1959 to 1977. So, the rest of that story isn’t here
More issues info. Searching for Suicide Squad info, I found two more DP stories not in their main title that do not show up in a search of Doom Patrol series

From 1966 Brave and the Bold teamup
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/the-brave-and-the-bold-1955-65/fc7bf480-6952-4962-b270-a33b7cb992a0

From the 80s a Secret Origins that has the original and next generation teams
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/secret-origins-annual-1987-1/5ff23d85-3979-414d-a415-4fb666b0bbf2/

3 Likes

Reading through this, I’m definitely liking the studying and added insight! Thanks for the thoughts on this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Finished for the week. It’s interesting that Mento and Gar are heavily involved but are not official members, yet. Clearly, Gar was added for the kid sidekick role of giving younger readers someone to identify with, but he’s sure not Robin telling Batman how awesome he is. Waiting to see what happens with the whole guardian tryin to kill him thing.

3 Likes

Beast Boy’s transformations are upsetting when he keeps his hair and human ears

Ehhhhhhhghhhb

This was a cute little moment just a couple of pages after Cliff was desperately trying to kill BB

Be best friends already!!

And I got a legit lol from Beast Boy saying he was going to be murdered at 8pm, and Chief reassuring him they’d bring him back in time

I was pretty disappointed Kranus turned out to be a red herring, though. He’d have been a cool addition to Doom Patrol’s rogues gallery.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t want to miss your own murder

2 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

Just finished with these, continuing to really like these issues. Adding Beast Boy into the picture adds some fun dynamics, though I agree with @biff_pow that having him keep his hair and ears when he transforms is just straight up Nightmare Fuel.

I also had a thought – it’s funny how in the 60s, Gar has this curmudgeonly relationship with a human with more metal parts than flesh that calls him “lettuce head,” and in the 80s, Gar has this curmudgeonly relationship with a human with more metal parts than flesh that calls him…“salad head.”

3 Likes

Nice! And yes, feels like the beast boy of the 60s and 80s is different than the beast boy we know today

3 Likes