Don't Miss, Slugfest DC vs Marvel, Roku Channel, Free!

Don’t Miss, Free!!! Slugfest DC vs Marvel, Roku Channel

Roku Channel released December 24th 2021 a documentary version of the book, “Slugfest: Inside the Epic 50-year Battle Between Marvel and DC.” It’s free and so far I haven’t seen any commercials (one minute of commercials started showing up after the third episode, between episodes only).

Narrated by Kevin Smith.

Produced by the Rosso brothers.

Actors like Brandon Routh betray various comic book artists and writers.

DC archivist Benjamin La Clear makes an appearance too.

Thanks again to Super Fan @Nathan.Payson for telling me about the book that I purchased a couple years ago based on his suggestion! What fun to see it made into a documentary featuring the actual writers and artists of the time where they can.

3 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950
@msgtv

2 Likes

I don’t have a Roku device

Here is an article

Includes trailer

Just watched the whole thing earlier today. It was great, just wish it was longer. I really dug the style of it, and I think it would serve a more in-depth look at the topics.

Other thoughts:

• The “Reverend Billingsley” story was amazing, and not one I’d heard before.
  • A couple fun cameos along the way, especially in episode 5.
  • Great to see former community guest Benjamin LeClear giving a tour of the DC archives.
  • If anyone wanted to make a full-length Jack Kirby biopic, Ray Wise is right there. Great casting choice.
2 Likes

You can watch it on their website:

1 Like

Yeah the DC archivist appears in many of these episodes.

2 Likes

I suggest picking up the book If you like this mini series of six and a half minute episodes. It was published in 2017 and it contains a lot of material not in the documentary.

1 Like

Thanks, will check it oit

1 Like

Thanks

Watched all ten episodes.

Entertaining

At least two famous actors played comic book people

Brandon Routh (Young Jack Kirby)

Clark Gregg (Marvel President)

Should compare to

Secret Origins the Story of DC Comics

In that hour and a half you will get a good overview of most of our comic book library. It was filmed in 2009 so of course can’t talk about newer than that

3 Likes

Morena Baccarin playing publisher Jenette Kahn, then having her age between episodes, was a real treat.

1 Like

More on actors

Oh now I get the inside joke from when the parents tell the child playing with Superman and Spider-Man stuffed toys that they know someone that could beat them both, Helen Slater being the mom and Lou Ferrigno being the dad.

1 Like