Does anyone else feel like DC hates Martian Manhunter, Swamp Thing, and Zatanna?

These 3 characters are my top 3 favorites. Yet, I always feel like DC has always disrespected them, by changing their origin like they did with J’onn, to having Swamp Thing retire, to Zatanna never getting enough spotlight because of the trinity. Can we take just a little break from the trinity? LOL

6 Likes

I greatly agree, particulary Martian Manhunter, he’s always getting cut out of the Justice League and is rearly being seen in other groups

4 Likes

I’m with u on Zatanna. She’s been around since 1964 & has one live action tv appearance Smallville ( Serinda Swan ) & 0 on the big screen. Hopefully that will change soon, cuz it’s been overdue & fans have wanted it forever. At least she’s getting love in the comic book realm. Although, she has only one solo title & Mystik U besides JLD & crossover involvement. Identify Crisis & some other JL appearances. Feel free to fact check b/c I didn’t. I know for a fact, as do most people, Hawkman #4 1964 is her 1st appearance & the start to Zatannas’ search. I’m also a fan & would support the others too, but Zatanna is my number #1.

5 Likes

DC’s current leadership doesn’t seem to have very much affinity for J’onn, which is a shame, because he’s a fan favorite and has long been closely associated with the League. Swamp Thing has a great history, but, you must admit, he can seem like an odd fit among superheroes (that’s always been part of his appeal). Still, I don’t see his retirement as permanent. That sort of thing has been done before. If a character’s death barely affects their exposure, retirement’s even more easily undone. Zatanna’s popular, but mostly as a guest star when the story involves magic. I honestly think many writers find writing stories for someone with her power set challenging.

2 Likes

Given that Martian Manhunter’s latest solo book is nearly concluded and that Swamp Thing has a current title (whose latest issue came out nearly two weeks ago) that features brand new stories in the 100 Page Giant line, I’d say they’ve both received a decent amount of attention recently.

As for Zee, she was in the current Justice League Dark series when it began (IDK if she still is).

Regarding Zee on TV, she’s been on:

• Batman: The Animated Series
  • Smallville
  • Justice League Unlimited
  • Justice League Action
  • Young Justice

I want to say she was also on Batman: The Brave and The Bold, but I don’t remember offhand.

Come this Saturday, she and Swamp Thing can also be seen in the Justice League Dark movie. It’s a good one!

1 Like

Zatanna has been featured in the animated films and some in Young Justice. I think of the three you mention that Martian Manhunter is represented the least outside publication. I can’t say he’s been forgotten though. Everyone shows up in print. The last year saw MM’s excellent solo series. I know I get frustrated with how the characters I love never show up in other media. When was the last time Drake or Todd was really featured in anything? Donna Troy, Captain Atom, Firestorm, Kyle Rayner, Power Girl, and Ted Kord come to mind too.

2 Likes

I always feel like J’onn is always 1 made ominous enough you question him and 2 is treated lke some OP guy they bring in every now and then. Swamp Thing is out of my area of expertise, but I feel like about five years ago he peaked, and is losinghis exposure. Zatanna, I feel never was set up as a stand-alone character, and so she has remained part of a group/team for so long.

1 Like

I became a huge fan of J’onn when I was introduced to him through Justice League International. And even though the writers left him out of a lot after breakdowns, he was always brought back in one way or another right through Grant Morrison’s JLA…
Then… J’onn got shoved in a corner. then killed…
What happened?!?
Of course, they eventually Brough J’onn back with Blackest Night/Brightest Day, but even then it was only a year later and we have Flashpoint.
After Flashpoint? J’onn’s nowhere to be seen! He’s replaced by Cyborg in the New52 Justice League as if he was never a founding member!
(The funny thing is, I recalled meeting a guy in a Comic Shop who thought that Martian Manhunter was never a member of the Justice League before the 80’s-90s and that the Archive editions that included him in the Justice League’s silver age were retro-actively altered to include him.)
The last few years have seen a steady increase in J’onn’s appearance (I was thrilled to see him in this most recent Incarnation of the League.)
His twelve issue Run is almost up, and while I had problems with the first couple of issues (J’onn written as a drug-addicted corrupt cop on Mars) I eventually warmed up to the series. f his look on the cover is any indication, It looks as if he’s going back to his classic costume and it looks as if it’s going to be a launching point for something important for him in the future. (Although I thought Wally West was going to get a push after Flashpoint, and then Flash War…still waiting…)

1 Like