Does an artist's personal life dictate your consumption? Should it?

To the group, is there value in consuming the art of scandallous artists?

When I view art, I don’t consider my viewing to be valuable. I’m not a promoter, I’m not an agent. I’m just some dude on the street.

For the radio, if I don’t like the song, I change the station.

For the tv, if I don’t like the show, I change the channel.

Movies are so expensive these days, that I won’t see a movie unless I’m truly interested.

Books, if it’s bad, I won’t finish it.

Comics, if it’s bad, I won’t buy the next issue.

I’m just not that valuable :grin:

The value of the art is separate from the value of the artist.

1 Like

@harley.333 But do you see any value for you in consuming art from scandalous artists? You must find art valuable to yourself in some way. Is that value changed by scandal in any way?

@harley.333 Don’t devalue yourself. I have found many of your posts valuable. Everyone is valuable. And I am sure you bring great value to much of the people and situations you encounter.

@msgtv That’s the point of view that I think I share. But @nu52 makes an excellent point about putting money in their pocket. The art is tied to the artist in that way. Does that mean the art should no longer be paid for in these circumstances?

@Batman

This is a reprint

No reprints have to be published

If DC reprints, they have to pay, which is an endorsement

If DC doesn’t reprint, no pay. No endorsement

I personally wouldn’t want the work to be reprinted, because you have to pay the person for the work that is being reprinted

Abuse of power is endless in the entertainment industry. That may not seem to subject, but it is. Because mob mentality is a human norm, too. Get the pitchforks-- and no corporation will have burning torches waved in their faces without reacting. Corporate heads step down. Hundreds of comics are pulled from comixology. But what if-- WHAT IF-- this time the individual can take a stand against real injustices. What if you can focus that mentality THIS TIME and shut down abuse of power. Yes, you lose some comics availability-- but that tide will likely turn-- the character and the other artists will become more important thing. But right now, use this moment that DON’T like, and find a cause, or a just a moment-- that you can stand for-- women’s rights, child protection-- whatever-- and make some noise with this same energy. And sneak some freedom of speech in there to keep your original point.

If I like it, I like it.

I remember as a kid liking Van Gogh. Don’t know why; I just liked it. Then, us kids found out that he cut his own ear off. Obviously, he was crazy; and you’re weird if you like art from crazy people. (You know, the logic of kids.)

But still, I actually liked his art. Even as a kid, I thought it was hypocritical of the other kids to turn a 180. So, in my mind, the art is separate from the artist.

I’ve heard Charles Manson actually has a really nice singing voice. I’ve never heard it myself. But what if he does? Do his actions detract from a nice song? What if you heard him singing, but you didn’t know it was him, and you liked the song? Are you a bad person? If you bought the album, not knowing the members of the band, have you promoted a killer?

I don’t think so. I think there are good people and bad people. Art is separate, and it could be good or bad.

1 Like

@TurokSonofStone1950 Putting aside the fact that they are reprinting the specific book at present in other venues, if the book were your absolute favorite, that book that you read every year, that hook just cuts right to your core, would it change your view?

Also, how do you feel about collaborators losing the money they would earn otherwise?

again not leading questions and not really trying to debate specific instance, I am just finding the discussion in general fascinating so far

William Marston and Alan Moore have led controversial personal lives. I’m not making any judgement here, just stating facts. And these are primary creators, not just a collaborator.

If the mob mentality decides to turn against these individuals, are Wonder Woman, Watchmen, or The Dark Knight Returns no longer “good?”

I think that’s the true question of this thread.

In my opinion, the art is separate. You can be a terrible person, but still, you can cook a delicious burger.

2 Likes

@MH I feel like you are missing the spirit of this conversation. I don’t think anyone is attempting to make a noise and call for resignations or anything like that. We are having a discussion about a topic that arose in this community. There is no endgame here other than better understanding about how people relate to art in these kinds of moments and in general. I have taken a lot of pain to make this about the abstract. But maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying.

If I know that an artist is a jerk in real life, I can find it distracting in how I appreciate their work. I might avoid their work because I’m angry. Hell, I’ve been known to skip out on movies I’d have otherwise watched because someone in it made an inoffensive-but-dumb political statement, let alone anything this serious. If the work is solely the product of the wrongdoer, I might continue to avoid it in the long run. Ultimately, though, I think the art outlives the artist, but it’s best to leave at least a little time for the sting to fade. Maybe I’ll go back and read Emerald Dawn in a few years. Probably not, though, because it’s not important enough to outweigh that distraction factor I mentioned at the beginning. Just my two cents.

1 Like

@harley.333 I put a lot of questions up there in the original post, but I think your question a good one. Some people have answered that it is a matter of degrees, it seems.

@BatJamags You raise a really interesting point. The distraction factor is almost unavoidable, I have noticed.

1 Like

Bows out of this one

@MH :pleading_face: sorry we chased you away.

There is no way for me to be abstract, here.

@MH I understand. For the record, it’s great to put energy to the things you said, but these kinds of conversations are valuable too. I’m pretty sure everyone here condemns what that guy did. It’s kind of an obvious condemnation.

But what’s harder to conceptualize sometimes is what we are supposed to do in relationship to the art. And most of the time, we are just hearing the mob response. I thought it would be interesting to hear individuals’ views.

"But what’s harder to conceptualize sometimes is what we are supposed to do in relationship to the art. And most of the time, we are just hearing the mob response. I thought it would be interesting to hear individuals’ views. "

This is wonderfully on point.

ducks back out

1 Like