Documentary About the Dark Knight Viral Marketing ARG

ex1

This YouTuber put together a comprehensive short documenting the Why So Serious ARG that was made to promote The Dark Knight in 2008, and which was the pinnacle of human achievement.

It’s so much cooler than it sounds. If you don’t know about it, learning will blow your mind! It REALLY HAPPENED.

7 Likes

I didn’t get to take part in the stuff that happened at comic cons, but I definitely remember the websites, the mini games, the news paper articles, seeing the Joker dollars that we’re at SDCC, etc. So much fun.

3 Likes

yeah, even just following along online was amazing! the phone in the cake!

2 Likes

The Joker defaced my high school senior photo of me wearing a Batman balaclava, gauntlets and a Batman Begins shirt :grin:

2 Likes

Oh wow! How do you mean?

1 Like

I remember watching those fake Gotham News segments online

2 Likes

There was a site where you could upload a photo to the Gotham Times and during the course of the marketing the Joker vandalized the site, including the pictures

4 Likes

I wasn’t here for that and had no idea it took place! That was fascinating! Did you take part in it?

4 Likes

I remember how fun that was, I still have my ‘I Believe In Harvey Dent’ shirt.:slightly_smiling_face::us_outlying_islands:

3 Likes

So jealous! :joy:

3 Likes

No waaay, this looks awesome!!!

2 Likes

i just monitored the scavenger hunts on reddit, and it was so exciting! the directions to a bakery; they arrive and receive a cake; as they’re driving home the cake starts ringing and they realize there’s a phone in it

GAH

3 Likes

that’s awesome!

2 Likes

I don’t know what i’d love more – being a part of the public that’s participating in that kind of initiative, or being a part of the team that designed it.

3 Likes

i know! i’m surprised that the model hasn’t been replicated, but i imagine it cost a fortune. it’s probably a miracle that it ever happened at all.

2 Likes

well ty for sharing! I doubt I’d have heard of it otherwise :slight_smile:

3 Likes