Doc's Bootlegs

Well, it’s been a while…

At the request of @TravisMorgan and also because I need a break from work (Lord knows how much I need a vacation!!), I found a few things that y’all might like (although the one item that @TravisMorgan would probably like is a day or two away from posting).

Earlier this year, in the old Office Hours thread that @Applejack used to run, I mentioned that there were a series of games called Swordquest that were made for the Atari 2600 video game system. It was supposed to be a series of four games but only two were officially released. These games included miniature comic books produced by Atari’s then-corporate cousin DC and featured incredible art by the legen…(wait for it!)… dary!!! artist, Mr. George Pérez.

Submitted for your viewing pleasure, here is book one:

Book two shall follow shortly.

4 Likes

In the meantime, here is one of the first hardcover collections of DC Comics published by Harmony Books with a cover by Neal Adams (my apologies for the poor condition).

4 Likes

:star_struck: :+1:

5 Likes

Great stuff @DocAtlas! I love me some George Perez! When I first saw the scans I wondered how I missed it, but then when I read your text that it was a mini comic I realized how I had missed it. I can’t wait to see what you have in store for me and the rest of the community.

4 Likes

I’m glad you enjoyed it. (Edited original message here because my original text here sucked and bored the p— out of me.) Thank you for your appreciation. It means a lot.

I hope you and everyone else here are doing well!

4 Likes

Ok, here is book two:

2 Likes

For size reference, here are the originals with my framing square:

An aside: Atari also produced a mini comic for their game Yars’ Revenge.

DC wasn’t involved and honestly, the less said, the better.

3 Likes

I interrupt this thread for a completely unrelated and questionably important tangent: after considerable time on the fence and some prodding by others, I’ve decided to pack up the tickets I bought a while ago and my vaccination card and go to NY Comic-Con next month. So if I know you from this thread, or elsewhere on these boards, and you’re going too, please feel free to say hi.

I should be pretty easy to recognize. After all,…

…I’ll be the one wearing a mask!

(…HA! I just kill me sometimes!..)

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, this is a big one.

I wish it was in better condition, particularly the cover, but I think you guys will still like it.

Presenting the 1977 Super DC Calendar!

The artwork inside included works by some legends like Joe Kubert, Ramona Fradon, Wally Wood, and Neal Ad-…well, it says Neal Adams, but it’s not his regular signature, and this was the time when rumor has it that artist Michael Netzer (then Michael Nasser) was doing some ghost drawing for Neal Adams, so who knows. Regardless, the October plate is still pretty cool. Plus, as far as I know, none of it has been reproduced anywhere else.

Enjoy!

Now this one goes out to @TravisMorgan . Presenting the calendar centerfold featuring the Legion of Super Heroes by the amazing Mr. Mike Grell!

Another noteworthy item about this is on the back cover. Other than the cover credit for Jack Kirby when he started the Fourth World books, this might be the first item from DC where artists were given credit on the cover. Yes, it’s on the back, it’s very small print, and Mr. Garcia-Lopez lost half of his name, but I guess it’s a start.

4 Likes

This is amazing. Incredible spreads by some legendary artists. Love the Curt Swan Superman page. The fact that you have it in such incredible condition after so many years is impressive in & of itself. Thanks much for the high resolution scans.

Now I want a DC calendar…

3 Likes

Very nice @DocAtlas! Regarding the Mike Nasser/Netzer ghosting it is quite possible. Neal co-founded Continuity Studios with Dick Giordano and employed Nasser and many other big names of the Bronze Age. I love the Grell gatefold. Thanks so much for sharing!

4 Likes

Glad you liked it!

3 Likes

YW! I don’t know why DCUI displayed the Grell piece so small compared to the other pieces, or maybe that’s an issue on my end. It reminds me of the short lived Jon Sable television series where Mr. Grell’s creator credit was so much smaller than all the other credits. Oh well. In any case, a little Grell is better than no Grell at all.

4 Likes

Ok, this is a book from 1977 and would probably not have have been noteworthy except for…well, I’ll let you check out the cover.

Yep, it was co-written by the man who scored the most amazing deal for Batman movie rights and now has more Batman movie credits than Batman’s co-creator Mr. Bill Finger. It’s Mr. Michael Uslan…oops, sorry, it’s Attorney Michael Uslan, something I learned about him in the “Meet The Authors” section of the book.

“God knows what else!” indeed!

3 Likes

At this point, I intended to add another item. It’s kind of personal for me and some things would have to be edited out, but at this time, I can’t find it. Maybe some day it will resurface, but for now, maybe that’s appropriate.

Also at this point, I think I need to take a break from this thread and DCUI in general. Work has just become so all-consuming and stressful. I think there’s light at the end of the tunnel but it’s a very long tunnel and it will take a lot of work from me to get to the end. I’m not quitting DCUI (Before she left, @Applejack sent me a DC goodie box that was far too thoughtful and wonderful to consider quitting here), so if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to post here and I should be notified of that in my personal email to respond to it.

Before I go, allow me the opportunity to hopefully make you laugh your a-- off! It did for me! Enjoy!

3 Likes

No questions. Just wishing you the best on your endeavors, and hope you find that light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for the good times spent here with us :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks. Feel free to ask questions, that’s cool. But right now, for example, scanning the calendar required me to go elsewhere to use a bigger scanner since I didn’t want artificial color changes to be introduced by layering separate parts. That takes time which is scarce now. But questions are quick, not a problem.

4 Likes

I hope work slows down so you can relax @DocAtlas. Thanks for sharing your great scans. I look forward to the future when you have more time and we can enjoy your company. Take care of yourself and your family, we’ll be here waiting.

3 Likes

Just found this thread and I :purple_heart: it sooo much. Looking forward to your return @DocAtlas.

4 Likes

@DC89 Thank you so much! Glad you’re enjoying the ride.

BTW, I won’t go too far. IIRC, I think you also do the NFL polls in the Iceberg Lounge. Truth be told, once a week, whichever of my kids and their friends are around know I’ll host a dinner and they’re all welcome. After dinner and before the group moves into a game of Setback or Catan or simply watching a movie, I’ll solicit their advice on the NFL polls. While I have final say, they all do fantasy football so its a fun activity for us. Thus, I’ll still pop up there occasionally.

@TravisMorgan Thank you kindly! While I don’t expect work to slow down (or even take a vacation since a vacation for one just sounds miserable), it would be nice to get back to the concept of “work smarter, not harder”. The past year has been the exact opposite. Fortunately, after too many candidates who gave horrible interviews and even more who didn’t even show up to the interview, I finally hired someone to help start replacing the 2/3 of my employees that left a year ago. Hopefully this will help.

Unfortunately, today, when I’d rather relax at my house, instead I have to go to my practice to write not one but two letters to two different entities to let them know, among other things, that they should find new and exciting ways to commit physiological impossible actions to violate themselves. Sadly, the overwhelming amount of writing I do lately is of this nature.

So, if you would kindly allow me a moment before I have to dive into that nastiness, let me tell the tale about something far more uplifting: Christmas.

For me at Christmas time, it never really feels like Christmas, what some may call feeling or getting into the Christmas spirit, until something happens. It could be seeing Heat Miser and Snow Miser, or a different TV special, or an unexpected song, or seeing a particular decoration, or, well, just something. Suddenly, right then and there, it’s Christmas.

But 2020 was different, as it was for everybody, and going into Christmas would be different too. This time, I knew simple twists of fate would be converging that day. I knew extended family would be avoiding me, especially since my job can make me a modern day Typhoid Mary. My kids would be spending most of the holiday with my ex-wife. I had broken up with a girlfriend about a year prior, although that was definitely a good thing (I later found out if I continued dating her, my friends was planning an intervention, as if I was a drug addict :slight_smile: )

So, all of these events added up to one thing: for the first time in my life, I would be going to bed on Christmas Eve night, waking up on Christmas morning and spending most of Christmas day all by myself.

It wasn’t something that made me sad or angry. After all, I was still healthy after putting my health (and actually my life) on the line everyday for a year simply for doing my job. I have the three best kids in the world. My friends and family are incredible. And I’m even friendly with my ex-wife and her husband. Consequently, whatever cross I have to bear, well, it’s a very tiny cross.

Still, it just wasn’t Christmas.

Heading into Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I decided to just treat it as some extra time to get things done. Yeah, there was some holiday type stuff to do. I put together a power tower for my boys as that was Dad Atlas’s main gift to them. I prepped food for Christmas dinner. But mainly I just did routine stuff around the house like cleaning and whatever. Did some office stuff too.

I also decided to do something else. A few days prior, the goodie box that @Applejack sent me (that I mentioned upthread) had arrived. I decided I would just save it for Christmas since it was close enough and It might be a little fun to look at then.

Well, what was in the box I did not expect. I don’t think I’ll get into the physical contents, but what was really in there was a considerable amount of thought and care and kindness. It was those contents, in that moment, that reminded me of a particular Christmas when I was a little kid so many years ago when my parents gave me my very first comic book.

Suddenly, right then and there, it’s Christmas.

So, for the gift of that moment, a moment that perhaps I needed more than I realized, to @Applejack in particular and DC Universe in general, I will always be grateful.

Oh, one more thing. She also sent me a second package. Part of me would really like to tell that story, especially since that story is so much funnier. Unfortunately I think that’s the type of story that doesn’t work well written on a screen. It really should be spoken. Besides, I think I’ve written way too much here as it is… But if you see me at NY Comic-con next weekend…

Ok, enough writing fun stuff. Time to write something evil (but they deserve it). Thank you for allowing me this indulgence. Take care.

3 Likes