Do you read all of the tie-ins for large events?

This is a question I have had for a while, but I’m bringing it up now just because I’m trying to read through Batman No Man’s Land for the first time, and the 80+ issues that are collected in the “Storylines” section of the app are kind of daunting. Of the comic events I’ve read before I usually follow the essential story and fill in the side story gaps as I read through the surrounding series’. As far as No Man’s Land goes, I’ll probably follow a similar strategy, but out of curiosity I figured I’d ask what you all do on here.

5 Likes

No Man’s Land might actually be a reasonable exception to the “focus on the main event” rule. That particular event is more an opportunity to see how various characters react to the crisis than it is some grand plot.

5 Likes

Yes. It’s why I’m still reading comics from the 2000s. I should be caught up with y’all in about 2053. Please wait for me.

15 Likes

I’ll never be caught up because I started reading last year…looks like @CynicalPink is going to beat me…

7 Likes

@AnonymousHQ At last I can say, I WIN!

4 Likes

Interesting to note. Maybe I’ll try out reading it chronologically for a bit and see how I fare :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To put it another way, No Man’s Land isn’t an event so much as it is the status quo for all Batman titles from January to December 1999. :wink:

7 Likes

Good luck. Maybe in another life for me.

3 Likes

And then I’ll have to catch up to you! Maybe we should set up a tag team system, that way we can conserve our energy to the end of the race.

4 Likes

Maybe…:rofl:

3 Likes

I try and read all the tie-ins, but sometimes I just wanna get right to it!

3 Likes

I read every single issue, & if there’s a way to make it even longer, I go that route.

4 Likes

I used to back during the “Annual” events like Armageddon and bloodlines but after a while it just got to the point where I wasn’t that invested in the other books enough to care how or if they were affected by what was going on

2 Likes

Finances, and indifference have weaned me off of these bloated story lines.

1 Like

I used too. I picked up every tie in to the millenium event. I have most of the zero hour tie ins and through floppy and trades almost the complete lead to and tie in to infinite crisis. The last time I did anything like that was the Nu52 superman doomed, and futures end, and convergence. Anymore I don’t care and am not interested in events. ■■■■ em. Give me good solid regular writing monthly, not some ■■■■■■■ cheap gimmicks that doesn’t mean ■■■■.

2 Likes

I started reading Dc last year too

2 Likes

On no man’s land I own every issue I’ve read basically all tie ins from ifinite crisis to new 52 after I only pick what actually goes with main story like green lantern.

2 Likes

Yes, I always try to read the entire event including tie-ins.

As far as No Man’s Land goes, I have all 6 of the graphic novels which are inclusive along with Road to No Man’s Land parts 1 & 2.

But I’ll usually go to one of the reading order sites to get the order and then read individual issues in that order.

1 Like

I have almost reached the point where if there is a tie in.to the event, I will not buy that issue.

Trades almost always exclude the tie in because

It diseupts the regular story

Usually doesnt add anything to the event.

Means nothing outside the event.

Tne publishers are trying to get more money through tie ins to an event and the reader gets nothing in return.

This approach should be discouraged by us not buying the tie in.

1 Like

Haven’t attempted to read all the comics associated with a storyline since I was a teen. Way too many comics to purchase now with these major story lines

1 Like