Do You Prefer One Consistent Artist for a Series, or Changing Artists?

I’m working through the 2016 run of The Hellblazer, and I have to say, I wasn’t thrilled with the change from Moritart to Pia Guerra. Now in issue 7 they switched to Philip Tan, and I really don’t know how to feel about it.

The 2015 run (Constantine: The Hellblazer) was consistently Riley Rossmo, whose style has really grown on me (I’ve been collecting physical issues of Martian Manhunter (2018).)

I think I prefer one consistent artist versus various artists on a project. What do you guys think?

5 Likes

I guess it depends. I usually prefer one consistent artist. But for a story like the Sandman…it worked very well to have several different artist. It was a story about stories, after all, and no two stories are told exactly alike.

5 Likes

It depends, sometimes lightning strikes and you get a team like O’Neill & Adams or Wolfman & Perez. I like to have the same writer/artist combo for a specific arc, but I also think that an arc shouldn’t go on for more than 4 issues, 6 is really pushing it. I’d like to see a consistent style (which is not a specific artist but a style which has some artistic flexibility) If a book goes from hyper realism to more abstract style it feels very jarring for a few issues.

Folks have talked about “house style”, which I don’t think is necessary across the board, but should be kept for a title. Or at least 24 issues, when looking at something that has a long run like Detective or Action.

4 Likes

I generally prefer it when the art can stay consistent, but I also realize that’s becoming more and more rare w/ today’s comics. I did like seeing some titles utilize multiple artists in creative ways at the start of Rebirth, like how Wonder Woman had 2 ongoing storylines each w/ 1 artist or how Batman would trade off artists w/ each arc. It’s not something that’s necessarily going to kill a book for me if it doesn’t happen, but I do feel like pulling that off usually elevates the quality of the comic

3 Likes

I come from a time when the “house style” was preferred–and in the case of Marvel Comics–was dictated. Ditko did #38 straight issues of Spider-Man (plus two annuals) Kirby, with various inkers (most notably the late Joe Sinnott) did over 100 consecutive issues of the Fantastic Four. And the creators who eventually replaced them were strongly encouraged to draw in their styles. John Romita is on record as saying he didn’t get comfortable and “good” with his work on Spider-Man until he stopped aping Steve Ditko. Newcomer Rich Buckler was “encouraged” to draw in Jack Kirby’s style at Marvel and “asked” to mimic Neal Adams with his DC work.
Long, consistent runs were commonplace and just the natural order. As a kid, I was pleased when Don Heck (a fine artist) was replaced with John Buscema with issue 41 of The Avengers. Over at DC, after a decade long run of Carmine Infantino’s Flash he was replaced by Ross Andru–and all hell broke loose. (Carmine got kicked upstairs to editorial director of DC Comics). The fans hated that move, and made it known in emphatic terms on the letter pages. Even this devout devotee of Mr. Andru was not pleased with him replacing the man who was born to depict The Flash.
I guess all this ancient history, is just my way of saying I prefer a long run as long as the artist is up to the task. Wasn’t very happy when Win Mortimer replaced Curt Swan on The Legion of Super-Heroes. Did cart wheels when Dick Dillin took over for Mike Sekowsky on Justice League of America.

4 Likes

I find it really annoying when they keep switching the artist on a book. Especially when it happens mid story arc. I prefer it when they find a good artist and keep them on the book long term.

One exception is collections of short stories or stories where the switch in art is used as part of the narrative.

6 Likes

I agree, certain comics have a better time adjusting to new artists either due to style or the plot. I would much rather have a consistent run such as Batman 2011 rather than something that changes repeatedly. That being said change can be good. Jeff Lemire Green Arrow was a big change from what came before, but it worked so perfectly with the story that it enhanced it instead of subtracting. It definitely varies from comic to comic. IF there is a new writer taking over or its a new story arc I’m usually not bothered to much as long as it works for what the writer is going for.

3 Likes

I like them to have predominantly one artist with some guest artist spots to shake it up a bit a couple times a year. Once a new writer comes in, it is nice to see the art change as well. It sets the mood.

I prefer one consistent artist per story arc. I don’t mind too much if artists change from story arc to story arc.

1 Like

I was in the middle of an arc and suddenly the art changed.

So I guess I like consistency.
Especially in mini series.

12:23pm 7/11/2020

1 Like

I have been reading Superman comics released in the year 2000 following the triangle numbering. I do wish the artist would have been same on all of the books because one book everything has a serious or dramatic look to it and then the next book everything is very cartoony. While each book has a different writer and art team, the narrative is pretty solid but that art can be a bit jarring.

1 Like

I prefer when the art style stays the same. If the new artist can use the original artists work as inspiration, then it could be okay.

2 Likes

I don’t really like artist changes. The art is a defining feature of comic stories, and artist changes can affect the whole feel or throw you for a loop if it is after one artist has already worked on the series for a long time. In my reading experience, the quality of art tends to also go down with artist changes. I have stopped reading a series before because I didn’t like looking at the art anymore.

1 Like

What I really dislike is artists changing during an arc, it flow. And, a good writer should be writing to the strength of their artists, you can’t do that if you’re flipping in the middle of a story

I like a consistent artist for a story arc. I liken it to a director or a cinematographer for a film. You want one consistent look/tone to a movie when you watch it. Be it style, be it camera angles, whatever. When someone else takes over mid production, the end result just feels weird and feels like you’re watching two separate movies with the same script. Same with the art on a story arc in comics. I feel the story is best when it’s depicted in the same style. While I respect that there are many different and talented artists that can depict a story at the company, I just like it when it’s one consistent style per story arc.

oh god, consistent. i love bombshells until sandy’s comics roll around :frowning:

I am not picky when it comes to art. Don’t make it ugly with purpose (i.e. ren & stimpy style). And I’m good.

If I do have my pick of artist I would happily run with the same one, someone who evokes good feelings with their art.

Bengal, Mike Maihack and Agnes Garbowska are examples of artists whose art instantly puts me in a good mood. They could be the resident artist and I am sure they would brighten my day.

I don’t mind a rotating artist as long as the work is higher quality and consistent. I’m not good with changing writers though.

Much depends on deadlines, I woukd think. Those event arcs will have multiple pencil/ink credits, the pages having to be divvied up due to time constraints. But I do enjoy comparing and contrasting styles.