Do you prefer graphic novels or single issues?

I like both, but I think I prefer single issues more because I also like to collect & read. I do a little of both but I get more single issues than graphic novels.

2 Likes

I prefer single issues but sometimes trades if the back issues are too overpriced. Digital is the method of last resort.

1 Like

Graphic novels. There are no ads, the paper is thicker, and I can put them on my bookshelves.

2 Likes

Trades

1 Like

I buy the novels. I think itā€™s usually the best issues in one set.

1 Like

Both. If I had to go with one, Iā€™d go with single issues since thatā€™s how nearly everything is originally published, plus I like the logos and cover copy.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty much strictly single issues, pick ā€˜em up every Wednesday, new comic book day is a weekly holiday/event in my universe :blush:

3 Likes

Both have merits. However I lean more towards single issues as Iā€™m to impatient to wait for the trades. Now older stories is different . Trades are best for them.

2 Likes

I most definitely like single issues because my attention span is pretty non existent, but I feel as if I have to be careful when reading them because theyā€™re more collectible than most novels. The battle of OCD vs attention span.

1 Like

Novelsā€¦ Unfortunately with my hectic life Iā€™d have to buy complete storylines. Besides, they look great on a book shelf.

Novels

Novels

Novels with nothing to add just novels

1 Like

I used to prefer single issues when I would go to the comic shop every week. But now that I have gone mostly digital (no room for more physical comics), if I do pick up a physical copy, it is a graphic novel as I like to have a complete story if possible.

Graphic Novels for older stories, issues for current stories

I miss comics that featured a mix of ā€œdone-in-oneā€ and 2-3 issue stories, while also containing soapier plotlines that played out over the long term. I donā€™t think every story needs to be decompressed into 6-8 issues so that it can eventually fit into a nice trade paperback.

There were alot of stories like that during Rebirth (and after too). One of many great things about that material.

Due largely to budget constraints, itā€™s more feasible for me to buy collected editions. I also prefer having a mostly completed story arc in my hands because I have become an avid book reader, so I prefer most of the time a longer format. I still remember the joy though of going in to a comic store on Wednesday and being excited a title I wanting to read was in. Iā€™ve changed drastically as a reader though so I have more patience and have discovered how not to get them spoiled for me.

I buy both but when I can, I look at the series coming out and if it looks like something I would want to wait and read as a trade, then Iā€™ll wait. Of course, some are so good, I canā€™t wait and Iā€™ll buy the single issues and then end up buying the trade to read it in one easy sit.

I generally find the stories more satisfying when read in a collected form. Maybe because thatā€™s how I started reading comics. I really enjoy picking up issues every week, but I ultimately prefer reading collected trades.