Do you guys like the DCEU/Worlds of DC Movies?

Do you guys like the DCEU Movies? I love Aquaman, Shazam, and Wonder Woman. Personally I don’t see that many problems with Suicide Squad. What do you guys think? What DCEU Movies do you want in the future?

This includes Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Aquaman, and Shazam.

5 Likes

I like all of them except for Man of Steel. Of the remaining films, my least-favorite is Justice League.

1 Like

:+1: The DCEU is the best superhero movie universe :+1:

2 Likes

Aquaman, WW & SS I quite liked. Shazam was OK. Justice League I didn’t like off the bat, but I have come to regard it as “cute”. I can’t abide MOS or BVS, I really think they are lousy.

1 Like

The only good ones are Wonder Woman, Shazam, Aquaman and MOS and the rest just should have never happened

I like the DCEU movies. SS and JL have its problems but I still enjoy them. I will say the animated universe is much better along with the stand alone animated movies.

2 Likes

I like all the movies. Some are better than others, sure, but there’s a lot of joy to be found in each movie.

4 Likes
 Personally, I think the DCEU is (for the most part) just bad from a technical standpoint. The one exception for me is Shazam!, which I do believe is a pretty good film (and I'll even give Aquaman a bit of credit for at least having some interesting cinematography and direction). Overall though, the DCEU has been lackluster at best for me. This has nothing to do with a dark tone. I think a gritty, dark universe could be fairly interesting and engaging; but the DCEU is just too lazy to do it well. I'm not here to discredit the extreme amount of work that goes into making one of these films. I'm sure that everyone directly involved probably cared a whole lot about each of their films. (And I'm sorry that Zack Synder didn't get to finish his vision for the universe, especially under the circumstances). But, overall, the DCEU had some pretty awful writing. Across every film (including Shazam!).
 Man of Steel spends an ungodly amount of time setting up a character the entire world already knows about, sets up stakes for the hero that the film ends up completely ignoring, and lacked pretty much any substance or depth. Dawn of Justice felt like a teaser for what's to come more than it felt like a film; plot lines are set-up with out any resolution or affect on the story at hand, there's hardly a narrative, and no character experiences growth or change. You may feel the need to say I'm wrong by pointing out Bruce Wayne learned the value or someone like Superman, but that was so rushed and ham-fisted that it's become a meme across cinema and pop culture: Martha/Why Did He Say That Name. Suicide Squad is forgettable at best. Genuinely, I can't count the number of times I've listed the DCEU films and just forgotten to include this film. Overall, it's a mess of a narrative, the acting ranges from sub-par to god-awful, the jokes are cringe-worthy, and (once again) there's no substance to the entire film.
Wonder Woman hurts the most for me. By no means is it the worst film in the DCEU, but it is the biggest let down. Wonder Woman has been seriously under represented in media (one live action film, a couple animated films/tv appearances, and not a single video game). Yet, she's the character we probably need most at this point in society. A person who pushes for acceptance, understanding, and love despite your flaws; while also being a bad-ass female who can hold her own. (What I'm about to say has been said many times before, but it's really my biggest gripe about the film.) Wonder Woman sets up this premise that sometimes there isn't a "big-bad guy" that causes all the hurt in the world. There's not just one thing you can do to end all human suffering. Humans, in general, are flawed. And it's only through love and support that they can be saved. It's a perfect message that perfectly aligns with the morals of the character. But then Ares shows up and the whole film ends in a cliche, grey monster, light show that superhero films are known for. It's such a missed opportunity and sours the moral the film tries to present. Outside of that, the action is sub-par, the VFX aren't integrated well, and Gal Gadot was a serious case of miscasting for me.
 Alright, I'll speed through the rest. Aquaman is a classic case of so bad/laughable it's good, but has some nice visuals and colors to make it a good blockbuster. Shazam! had great casting, decent writing, and an okay villain. Justice League isn't very good, maybe it's because it's a hodge-podge monstrosity of two director's visions, but I don't think it'd be good no matter what. Zack Snyder isn't that great of a director in my opinion (yeah Watchmen is good, but it's a panel for panel recreation of the source material). So stop asking for the Snyder-cut because it won't live up to your expectations and it doesn't make any sense financially.
Luckily, I think DC films have a bright future. I think having films not stuck within the same universe is the best decision. Every film could kind of act as an Elseworlds and lead to some unique stories that would make DC stand out. At the end of the day, you don't have to agree with me. You could go through and tell me you disagree with every single one of my points, and I wouldn't fight you. If you're able to find joy in something I can't, then I think you're the winner. That's why I have no intentions responding to anyone who may try to point out flaws in my argument. Not because I don't value your opinion (I'll read every comment) or because I think my opinion is correct, but just cause there's no point. Sorry for the essay, hope you have a nice day! :)
1 Like

I don’t think the DCEU is perfect or even good but I think it’s starting to head in a new direction.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion: I love all of it and my favorite is BvS. It’s very different from all the Marvel crap where they need to excessively use jokes to appeal to a relatively young audience.

5 Likes

Sure, I dig (even love, in some cases) the DCEU movies.

5 Likes

The only one I haven’t liked so far was justice league

1 Like

Suicide squad was OK I guess

I like them all.

2 Likes

Wonder Woman was good in an alright sort of way, Shazam was great, the rest are even more hamstrung. I’m not even sure I’m sold on the idea of a DCEU. Then again, I’m not even that big a fan of the Justice League. But I want DC movies for sure. Good ones.

Let me go through this. I thought man of steel was just so weird and did not feel like a Superman movie. Bvs is a really great movie my fav dceu movie in fact. Suicide squad is pretty decent. Wonder Woman was pretty good. Justice league was fun but I didn’t like aqua man or Shazam

Man of Steel - I will openly admit, I loved Man of Steel but I can see why people had problems. I think Superman is tonally opposite of Batman. Having him brood and be dark most of the movie and it be excessively explosions and destruction. That being said, Henry Cavill is one of my favorite actors to play Superman. Loved Amy Adams as Lois Lane (don’t care that her hair was red), and Michael Shannon was a threatening villain as Zod. But it needed to feel like a Superman movie, not a Batman one. 7/10

Batman v. Superman Dawn of Justice - This movie had its problems but I loved Ben’s Batman (one of my favorites). I wasn’t bothered by the fact he killed. since I’ve seen in Batman and Batman Returns and deaths indirectly caused by him in Nolan’s Batman films. (He left Ra’s to die in a train in Batman Begins, he’s culpable.) I also liked Gal’s Wonder Woman. But it felt like they tried to do 3 movies in one. It didn’t work. Didn’t like the version of Lex Luthor and Doomsdays should been saved for a Superman sequel. 6/10

Suicide Squad - Admittedly this movie was a mess. Story wise but again like Man of Steel and BvS, I liked performances in the movie namely Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, Amanda Waller, Deadshot & El Diablo (one of big suprises of the movie) the villain of the movie was weak and sorry not a Jared Leto Joker fan. 5/10

Wonder Woman - Admittedly I was not a fan of Gal Gadot in the role but she won me over in Batman v. Superman and she won me over in her own movie. Gal and Chris Pine had great chemistry, again maybe a flat villain but over all this was one is at the top of my favorite DCEU films. 9.5/10

Justice League - This movie is my weakest of the films. Felt like two different films, I feel like Batman kind of got ruined here. Would preferred more of Ben’s performance in Dawn of Justice. Didn’t care for the villain. Not a good look for the first outing of DC Comic’s greatest hero line up. Hope the remake does better. 4/10.

Aquaman - This was movie was awesome. Actually my 2nd favorite of the DCEU Films. Loved the visuals. Jason Momoa has completely turned Aquaman, who I thought was a joke of hero into a complete and total bad ass. Amber Heard was great as Mera and I loved the villains in the movie. 9/10

Shazam - Overall the most fun out of all the DCEU Films and why it’s my third favorite. Light hearted but with some heavy moments. Zachary Levi shines as Shazam. Loved the kid actors too and I liked the villain. 8.5/10

So it’s really a mixed bag. Some movies (Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam) were amazing while others were mixed (Man of Steel, BvS) and they ones could have and should have been better. (Suicide Squad, Justice League)

I am excited to see what happens with Joker, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 1984, Aquaman 2 and The Batman.

1 Like

I like them all. I’ve sat down and seen each and every one in a theatre with some great crowds and have had a blast.

I’ve always been confused by the bad rap they get. Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and Justice League got it the worst, which is funny when you realize those were the movies with the most studio interference.

2 Likes

I enjoy them. Some are better than the criticism they get, some merit the complaints. The one that surprises me the most with the backlash is Man of Steel. I really enjoyed it (favorite Superman film to date) and have come to appreciate it even more since reading Superman: Earth one. Generally speaking, I feel people only dislike it because they wanted another Reeve film. I think this movie would have been more appreciated if BvS successfully built upon some of the conflict and character development that MoS set up.

I’m excited to see where the DCEU goes from here. Hopefully it continues to climb up with more movies like WW, Aquaman, and Shazam! but I remain skeptical when projects like Birds of “Harley Quinn” are coming out.

1 Like

I love them all (I’ll admit I’d like to see the Snyder cut though) but Justice League was an awesome for me. It was the first movie I ever saw opening night. I had people with superman shirts cheering every 5 minutes, a little girl dressed as batgirl, and me with my Batman shirt with the dumbest grin ever. I loved it

1 Like