Do you believe the Swamp Thing ending will suffer from the "creative decision" ?

@Gibbyhertz and @DukeGaga311
I’m actually glad the they left Titans as a cliffhanger. I think it shows they are committed to a second season. I’d be more concerned if they wrapped up everything with nice little bows. That shows a commitment to one season with an easy way out to decide not to do another season.

I think TV in general has moved to very bookended seasons BECAUSE they don’t know if they are coming back next season. Once you have a hit and have a contract for 2 more seasons, then you get more cliffhangers because they know they have next season to wrap up.

I’m sure on ST there are sooo many areas for “creative differences” to occur. Just the connection to the green, how far or aware is ST of his reach. Are you going to follow old school ST and give him a love interest he wants but feels he can no longer pursue. What do you balance?

I have been quite satisfied with the original content so far. Are there things to improve, sure there are. But, when isn’t there. I think we are heading for a cliffhanger with DP as well. With ST…who knows, I don’t see DC just leaving big cliffhangers.

I just finished watching The Brave and The Bold. It’s worth watching the last episode of season 3. They knew they were getting only 13 episodes for that season and it would end. The “Mitefall” episode was great! For those concerned about how DC feels about wrapping up things now, that is worth a watch, IMO. I found it very insightful. Look at the end of that versus the end of Batman Beyond 10 years earlier. DC has learned a lot.

They are doing (I think it’s 10) episodes of Arrow next year. The series has run it’s course, so do a few final episodes to tie up your loose threads. They could have just said “Hey, were walking away after 8 years” which is what happens with a lot of shows. But, I believe DC doesn’t want to leave big cliffhangers/what abouts/WTF it’s cancelled. They seem more inclined to put a finish to a project.

1 Like

My only complaint with the Titans ending is that it just felt more like an episode ending instead of a season ending cliffhanger. I’m excited for swamp thing the second season of Titans and any other piece of awesomeness they want to throw my way.

2 Likes

@ColdSmokeMike
I’ll give you the Raven/Trigon is reasonably well known argument.

I’m all for high standards when it comes to media (I was a drama major and am a lousy person to watch anything with because I was trained to look for flaws in every aspect.) With that said, I don’t think it’s a good idea to "yell at your kid for getting a B+ in AP History rather than an A+ either. It’s fine to say “Hey, these are the things that you might want to work on”, but, also praise the kid for what they did well.

I’m not sure you can ever really please the “hardcore fans”. For certain characters/teams the is minutia that for me is critical and when left out, I feel cheated. However, as an author & playwright, I also realize that there is only so much time you have to tell a story and some things are not going to get covered, even if they are gems, easter eggs/whatever you want to call them.

I’ve never seen anything that DC or Marvel has done that couldn’t be better. However, I’d rather have a B+ first attempt at doing original service streaming than not having the guts, not taking the financial risk in the first place to make that content. The first attempts by Netflix and Amazon weren’t grand slams either. IMO, the first season of Daredevil that Netflix did was awful. “Yeah, I get it, Matt does the catholic guilt thing…and??” In that respect I think Titans could have been a lot worse.

It seems to me that they are setting up a pair of characters, Starfire and BB, to have “ah ha!” moments about themselves and their powers. Where as Raven and Dick are a pair on these parallel yet opposite paths where they have to grind through baggage to become the heroes we know them to be. Is Raven’s grind slower and harder and more of a trudge. Yes. However, Raven is all about deep knowledge and control and having to discover that fighting that through the sheer fear of not knowing/being afraid to know the truth. Dick knows his truth and wants to create a new truth for himself/who he is/what he believes. Can both of their story lines be a bit of a slog. Yep, but I can see the creative team’s idea in making those choices. I don’t necessarily agree with all of them, but, that doesn’t mean they are bad.

I say all that because I think the same will be true with ST. We don’t know what the “creative differences” were. Was it strictly budget? Was the team going to far away from canon? Was it becoming to much just a duplicate of Morrision’s run? Or not enough?

Time will tell, in the end.

I look at Titans season one as the first act and we are now at intermission, it’s been interesting enough to stick around for act 2. Perhaps DP will be the same way? Maybe ST will too, maybe not.

P.S.
I mean can we just get past the whole CJ has 64 personalities thing already. That’s been more of a slog and banged over the viewers head more than Raven’s arc, IMO.

1 Like

I don’t know. Looks scary. Excited. But I remember the comic as a romance.

It could be a good thing. There are quite a few shows that I wish had shorter seasons, some of which are typically ~20 episodes and other that are ~15 episodes. Of course there are counter examples, but shortening a season could be a good way to keep the tension driven and story focused.

1 Like

Maybe?:thinking:

1 Like