Digitized Comics Unavailable (or in Alternate Locations) on DC Universe Infinite: A Directory

Special Update (4/24/21)

Additions:

Creator-Owned/Third-Party IP Titles Originally Published by DC

Added the following titles currently published by Dynamite Entertainment:

• The Boys (2006)
  • Django/Zorro
  • The Heart of the Beast
  • The Shadow (1986) (AKA The Shadow: Blood & Judgment)
  • The Shadow (1987)
  • Swordquest (1982)

If I’ve missed any DC titles that are currently published by Dynamite, please let me know and I will add them.

3 Likes

Speaking of which, I think this is a good place to note that Dark Horse has gotten the publishing rights to Masters of the Universe, so we probably won’t see any more He-Man comics here for the foreseeable future.

6 Likes

Even the DC crossovers?

2 Likes

Dark Horse published the 2003 Masters of the Universe tie-in series, right? At the very least hopefully they’ll put that out in trade, so that would excite me, not that it has any bearing on DCUI.

The question of DC Crossovers is a good one though. The He-Man issue of DC Comics Presents especially stands out, as I’m pretty sure it’s Prince Adam’s first appearance, and he’s not yet quite the same as he would be in the Filmation series later on. Adam definitely doesn’t appear in the earlier minicomics by Donald F. Glut, Alfredo Acala, Gary Cohn, and Mark Teixeira… but I digress!

It would be a real shame if that issue was pulled!

On an unrelated note to buff barbarians, I guess I hoped to see more WildC.A.T.s on that list than I did. Oh well.

1 Like

Special Update #2 (4/24/21)

Removals:

Digitized Comics Unavailable on DCUI - DC/WildStorm

Issues Missing From DCUI

Title Issue #s
JLA: The Secret Society of Super-Heroes 1-2 (Two issues)

JLA: The Secret Society of Super-Heroes, a two-issue limited series previously missing from the DC Elseworlds collection, has been added to the service! :partying_face:

3 down, 25 to go…

6 Likes

Weekly Update (4/27/21)

Additions:

Title Issue #s Available In Comixology hoopla Notes
JLA Secret Files 3 JLA (1997-2006): The Tower of Babel The Deluxe Edition JLA (1997-2006): The Tower of Babel The Deluxe Edition - Comics by comiXology https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/14111015 Excerpt (“Blame” & “Lost Pages”)

Digitized Comics Available in Reprints on DCUI

Title Issue #s Available In DCUI Link Notes
Batman (1940) 62, 73, 126 Batman (1940) #208 DC UNIVERSE INFINITE Excerpts
Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen 57 Action Comics (1938) #351 DC UNIVERSE INFINITE Excerpt (“Jimmy Olsen Marries Supergirl” [first half of story])
4 Likes

Weekly Update (5/4/21)

Additions:

Metropolis Grove Own title Metropolis Grove (2021) - Comics by comiXology https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/14114806 Graphic novel

Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen 57 Action Comics (1938) #352 DC UNIVERSE INFINITE Excerpt (“Jimmy Olsen’s Two Brides” [second half of “Jimmy Olsen Marries Supergirl”])

(Personal note: Beginning next week, this thread will be updated on Tuesday evenings, as I likely will no longer have time to update it in the morning.)

4 Likes

This is great. I’m using it to fill in some gaps in my own reading I didn’t even realize existed.

This may not be the place for this, but I feel it’s important to point out that Hoopla is definitely not free. It’s paid for by communities that care about and support public library services of all types. So please, use and support your local library and make sure your local officials know you support it so we can keep getting you this good content.

6 Likes

Special Update (5/8/21)

Removals:

Digitized Comics Unavailable on DCUI - Vertigo

Title Issue #s
Animal Man (1988) 1-89

Grant Morrison’s Animal Man, along with the rest of the 1988 series (with the exception of the “Children’s Crusade” annual, which remains on the list) has mysteriously, inexplicably, and totally unannounced returned to DCUI! :partying_face:

Many thanks to @LeonardoMyst for noticing this and pointing it out!

(While I’m very happy that Animal Man has returned, this kind of unannounced addition worries me, since I’m not really ever going to have the time to recheck every single title on my lists to see if they’ve been added. I’m going to have to rely solely on seeing posts around the community like LeonardoMyst’s. So if you yourself ever come across an unannounced addition like this one, I’d appreciate it if you could please help me out and post about it in this thread so that these lists can be kept up to date. Thank you.)

9 Likes

Whoooooaaaa! This is a huge windfall!!! We’ve been missing Animal Man since The Big 20K Update!

5 Likes

I will probably notice anything JSA related.

3 Likes

That’s so weird. There should’ve been a post, like what’s new.

4 Likes

Weekly Update (5/11/21)

Additions:

Action Comics (1938) 286 Action Comics (1938) #355 DC UNIVERSE INFINITE Excerpt (Supergirl story)
4 Likes

Special Update (5/16/21)

Removals:

Title Issue #s
Masters of the Universe (1982) Preview insert

The Masters of the Universe (1982) Preview insert actually is on DCUI, as part of Justice League of America (1960) #208.

(I never would have known this if I hadn’t currently been reading All-Star Squadron.)

3 Likes

I’ve made a new list:

DC Preview Inserts (AKA Prevue Pull-outs) Available on DCUI (1980-1983)

Even though there are only 6 of these (that I’ve been able to locate) on DCUI, they can be difficult to find if you don’t know where they are, and they are usually essential reading for the series that they are previewing, so I made a separate list for them.

2 Likes

Weekly Update (5/18/21)

Additions:

Adventure Comics (1935) 491-492 Shazam!: The World’s Mightiest Mortal Vol. 3 Shazam! (1973-1978) Vol. 3: The World's Mightiest Mortal - Comics by comiXology https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/14231083 Excerpts (Captain Marvel stories)
World’s Finest Comics 253-255, 260, 262-268, 272-282 Shazam!: The World’s Mightiest Mortal Vol. 3 Shazam! (1973-1978) Vol. 3: The World's Mightiest Mortal - Comics by comiXology https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/14231083 Excerpts (Captain Marvel stories)

Removals:

Title Issue #s
Wonder Woman (1987) 81

Wonder Woman (1987) #81 has been added to DCUI, (nearly) completing that series (only Annuals #7 & 8 remain undigitized). :partying_face:

5 Likes

:raised_hands:

1 Like

Wow @KookieSuperApe I am in awe of the amount of work you have put into this thread! I hadn’t even seen this thread until today, when thank the lord, I saw your post on OH. Thank you so much. This is definitely my “sweet spot” in terms of interest on this platform. Only a couple of hours ago, I downloaded Shazam Vol 3 onto my Hoopla app, and I see you’ve already updated your list to reflect it. Well done, well done.

3 Likes

Thanks to an inadvertent tip from @HubCityQuestion, I’ve added a new list to the project:

Digitized Comics Unavailable on DCUI - eBooks

These are a handful of titles released exclusively on eBook platforms, such as Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble NOOK, between 2011-2013. Before HCQ mentioned the Day of Judgment Kindle book in that post, I had no idea titles like this existed. I’ve included both Vertigo and DC titles on this list.

It’s very possible that I’ve missed some of these. Despite being a multi-billion dollar company, Amazon’s search and filtering options are atrocious and hard to use. And I checked 2010 and 2014 and didn’t see any titles like these, so I assume that none exist outside of the 2011-2013 time period. But I could be wrong. So if you’re aware of any titles that are missing from this list, please let me know and I’ll add them.

5 Likes

I only knew about Day of Judgment! But I do appreciate this legwork, and I’m happy to have contributed!

1 Like