Did they really though?

@MajorZuma

For me, Nolan’s Batman was true to form but just my opinion: Christian Bale just wasn’t as good as Ben Afflack’s. Sure the voice change when putting on the suit gave a disguise but it also made Batman sound constipated, like he’s going to crap his victims to death. Really couldn’t stand that particular thing.

However, the villains in Nolan’s movies were definitely not true to the characters but that’s another discussion.

Also, I don’t think you sounded like a hater. I enjoy readin everyone’s comments, even if I don’t agree with them. I’m sure any member here thinks the same as me in that respect, so no worries! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks @MattMcNeilly

I would like to also point out the Jokers main goal in The Dark Knight is trying to get Batman to kill. Trying to get Batman to “break his one rule”. The whole interrogation scene and the scene on the road where Batman almost hits him with the bike, is Joker literally playing with the idea that Batman doesnt kill.

And in Batman Begins he even blatantly states, “Im not gonna kill you, but I dont have to save you neither.” And in the Dark Knight Rises he stops Catwoman from killing Banes henchmen. And then Catwoman even comments at the end about the whole not killing thing not working for her.

And then going outside of the Nolan films and other adaptations. Look at Under the Red Hood, where the basis of the conflict of the whole movie is about the philosophy behind not killing the Joker and Jason Todd trying to be a better Batman by killing criminals when they act out.

Or how about in Titans when explaing Dicks origin story and how he was ashamed for what he did to his parents murderer.

To me, not killing, is a vital part of the Bat mythos. Who the character is and what separates him from others.

4 Likes

Thanks @Gibbyhertz

Funny enough, I agree about Bales Bat-voice, especially in The Dark Knight Rises it was a little ridiculous at times. I think Batfleck using the voice disruptor is the better way to go and I have a feeling future iterations will have it.

2 Likes

I always said Christian Bale’s Batman was better than Ben Affleck’s. I clicked on a youtube video with the title something like ‘Why Ben Affleck’s Batman is better than Christian Bale’ and I was ready to drag the video in the comments. Then I watched it all the way through and concluded Ben Affleck’s was better. I think if you read the comics, that’s probably the case. Bale was a better movie Batman. Affleck was just a better Batman, if that makes sense. A lot of people I talk to who don’t read Batman comics think it’s Bale hands down. But those I’ve talked to who read the comics, even if they didn’t link BvS agree that the Snyder universe’s batman is far more inline with the comics. The biggest selling point was that Bale’s Bruce Wayne was a drunk douchey playboy which doesn’t really reflect the comics at all. Affleck’s Bruce Wayne and his Alfred were far more accurate.

5 Likes

There won’t be another Batman like Affleck’s. Actors like him are in a league of his own.

3 Likes

Okay, this picture isn’t talking about Afflec vs Bale, this clearly states that Snyder is the one who brought the best Batman. Snyder didn’t bring the best Batman—Nolan did. If for anything that Nolan knows that Batman doesn’t kill. I think Snyder fundamentally misunderstands Batman as a character, and at that, so does Burton. Batman kills in the 1989 Batman as well. So the only live action versions of Batman that don’t kill are Nolan’s, and whoever directed the 1966 Batman tv show. Of those two, I think that Nolan’s is the better version (although the campiness does have it’s appeal).

I also aggree that Nolan’s joker is the best because he uses the joker to push Batman’s no killing rule. The joker in the burton film however, is supposed to be an artist, I guess? Burton’s joker doesn’t complement Batman with his motivations which is why I prefer Nolan’s.

@MajorZuma brought up HiTopFilms’ video which is great; I would highly recommend it.

And of course, in the end, BTAS beat everything in all categories

4 Likes

Between the two Batmans, Bale’s morals were way more problematic than Affleck’s. Bale’s Batman was perfectly himself, when he spouted out the biggest cop out to the “no killing rule” we’ve ever seen: “I won’t kill you, but I don’t have to save you.” I don’t know how you can even justify that nonsense as adhering to a no killing rule :thinking:

Meanwhile, all the accusations that Snyder doesn’t get it conveniently ignore the key point that Snyder’s story did not embrace what Batman was doing. Snyder’s movie made clear that Batman’s actions were wrong. Batman was practically the villain for most of the movie.

Purists who call that unacceptable are just refusing to allow Batman to evolve as a character at all insist he’s gotta be a perfect hero throughout every story and never make a mistake, but I commend Snyder’s version for allowing Batman to reach such a low point, because that allows him his redemption arc, which was a beautiful thing.

And to those who’d deny that Batman ever would reach such a low point, again you’re just refusing any growth or change for a character. Realize that Batman always was a man on the brink of losing it. If he was a normal well adjusted person, he wouldn’t be dressing up as a bat! Batman is nuts, just one step short of being as insane as the villains he fights. He’s a deeply emotional damaged man who’s spent a lifetime consumed in violence and darkness and suffering, so yes it makes perfect sense he’d end up broken at some point. That’s Batman. Snyder gets it.

6 Likes

@YoYoFroYo

Of course not, there’s already a thread (or a few) for a topic such as Bale vs Affleck but saying “Snyder has the BEST Batman” is going to stir debate of opinion anyway and that’s okay.

The Joker in Bale’s films isn’t anything close to the canon lore of Joker. I think it’s unfair to Imply that Nicholson Joker was an “artist” because he vandalized a museum that Vale was at is the same as someone implying that Nolan’s Joker was a crossdressing dimwit for dressing as a nurse and not properly knowing how to arm a bomb.

But at least Burton’s Joker showed that he had that psychopathic child-like playful charm when using the spraypaint, boombox, electric hand buzzer, chattering teeth, etc which speaks volumes to what Nolan missed in The Dark Knight. The closest thing we got was a lousy “Do you wanna see my pecil dissappear?” trick which wasn’t amusing at all. In fact, it was very cheap.

I prefer to look past that and at the bigger picture though. The looks and personality of Nolan’s Joker from everything like constant lip licking to his way of slang just goes against all characteristics of the Joker as a character, if we’re being honest. Tourette’s syndromes like ticks shouldn’t make a villain person seem crazy and it’s sad that people have accepted it as such.

I suppose the argument is that Nolan’s Sepia filter Batman trilogy called for a military/terrorism realism theme. You look at every villain and they were focused on one thing - terrorism. Ra’s Al Ghul was presented a little more unique and closer to the comics when it came to this but Joker and Bane were never similar to what they were in The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises. If I were to list the inconsistencies of Nolan’s Joker as a character to Burton’s Joker as a character, Nolan’s would be much much further than Burton’s.

As far as Batman, as I said before in another thread well, whether we’re talking about Snyder’s direction or Affleck’s performance, both apply to what I say next…

Snyder’s Batman has an advantage in that his Batman gets to interact with the Justice League members, whether Bruce or Batman, the dialogue and expression as well as tone perfectly embody the character. I don’t think Nolan could have done such a thing, why? Because his Batman movies simply wouldn’t have meshed well with metahuman or super-powered characters, I also don’t think any other actor could have done as well as Affleck did for those movies. It was just a great cast at the right timing regardless of how well or bad the movies were recieved (as with all things, timing matters largely, even more than quality script), perhaps that’s why people are realizing over time that BvS and JL are better movies than what they originally thought!

But that is just my two cents. Take it with with a grain of salt :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Gibbyhertz
I totally see what you mean in terms of Nolan’s Joker’s inconsistencies. I just think that Nolan’s Joker Works better as a foil to Batman. Nicholson got the character better, sure, but I think Nolan got the relationship better. To me, the relationship between Batman and the Joker is the defining part of the character.

I understand the whole team thing too, but I always thought Batman worked better as a stand-alone character (or with a Bat-Family). That’s probably just me though.

3 Likes

That’s a good point too though, and fair. I never saw it that way.

That’s why I love this community and learning from you guys. It’s always cool to see everyone else’s thoughts and see from a different angle! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This thread is so refreshing to read. I feel like every time I look into discussions like this from various communities it turns into a screaming match. It’s nice to see that plenty of people on here are capable of disagreeing with or discussing and learning from one another in a totally respectful manner.

3 Likes

“Batman was the villain for most of the movie”. Thanks, but no thanks. Presenting him this way is just terrible storytelling. Again, I reiterate, they should’ve just adapted world’s finest and the confrontation between supes and bats should’ve been a small thing, not the central conflict.

1 Like

Why can’t we be friends? Why can’t we be friends? :musical_score::musical_score::musical_score:

4 Likes

@MattMcNeilly and @OmniLad, the problem is that you are making your personal opinions on what defines these characters and applying them universally to the entire fanbase as well as the general audience. I don’t doubt your fanaticism (for lack of a better word) or your sincerity. But I can honestly say that I’m a huge fan of all things DC and have been for over 30 years, and the no-kill rule isnt something I value about Batman. Not as an absolute.
What I value is the fact he’s the one who gets all things “done”, against all odds, for Justice and all things righteous. He protects the weak and innocent. He punishes the wicked and corrupt. He does the impossible for the good of the people. He’s the James Bond of superheroes. I value his rogues gallery and the fantastical world where they all make sense. I value his Batfamily and those relationships. But the no-kill rule isnt the appeal, for me and others.
There is a difference between someone being killed and someone being murdered. I’m sure you know that, I dont mean that to be condescending at all. When you’re target audience is children it is absolutely fine to have a no-kill rule, as a generalized version of not murdering or killing someone unjustly. Young kids watching people punch out problems should be given some context, but getting into the specifics of murder vs deadly-force, isnt really appropriate.
However, the target audience for DC is everyone who watches movies, not just animation fans. If you look across all literature, film, and storytelling media in general, the absolute unwillingness to tale a life isn’t really recognized as some successful story element, it actually has nothing to do with whether or not a story is considered “good” or not.
The very fact these films are using live actors is the first clue they are not trying to replicate the cartoons. If the setting is reality , I want the suspension of disbelief marginalized as much as possible, personally. So for me, a no kill rule in a film set in reality about a guy who wages WAR on crime contradicts every other element of Batmans motivations, not for the sake of telling a good story or eximanation of moral conflict, but because the internet said it’s important. But it’s something that has never been important to any other franchise or story that isnt based in reality (Hacksaw Ridge, Ghandi). It essentially comes off as "I love DC and want them to be the best, but I want then to do it handicapped with one arm behind their back.
For me, if you take away the no-kill rule, Batman is still the same exact guy, he is still guided by temperance, using measured force, understanding of crime and poverty, he still disarms criminals, he still believes in the system (even though it’s clearly corrupt), he is still prepared for even the most dangerous mission, he still is a force of nature, he still “Batmans” Gotham perfectly. It’s just I no longer have to sit through the completely bs “slippery slope” routine and its empty morality.
I get the no kill rule is established but it also kind of works against making a live action blockbuster that appeals to people outside of our community. For all the complaints against DCEU (DC Films) all that’s come of it is another decade or more without Superman on screen and an absolutely abhorrent Justice League movie (with some genuinely cool DC moments) an F&F style Aquaman, Harley’s Angels, and Shazam (which looks like its exactly what a Shazam movie should be) and the death of a shared universe with forward momentum. Every film moving forward is a crap-shoot, successes will get sequels those that arent will get headless cameos. I already lived through two decades without Superman on screen, I wasnt looking forward to more, especially since it seemed a filmmaker finally made an amazing Superman movie that was in line with comics. I figured the rest of the world would get it, but they never read Byrne or Jurgens I suppose because the big narrative was "Superman. Doesnt. KILL. EVER!!! SNYDER-MAN BAD!!!“HE DOESNT GET THE CHARACTER!!” He does, he just put him in a position where he has to make a sacrifice (defining trait if heroes) without killing the character off.
Remember All-star Superman? What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? On must concede. That is essentially the Zod fight in MoS. That is, imo, a far more satisfying story than anything that came before.
I digress, I consider DC and their characters, the worlds they occupy, to be perfect vehicles for EPIC, high concept storytelling. If you set it in the real world with real actors, but insist they keep the rules and regulations of a Saturday morning cartoon that is mostly controlled by toy manufacturing, you change it from being as effective as Infinity War to something Luke GI Joe rise if cobra. Completely weightless. To compensate, they will keep budgets small and replace the lack if content with “fun and jokes”.
When I say “you” I mean “someone” lol. Seriously, name a huge movie that stresses a no-kill rule. I mean, yes Terminator 2, but John’s reasoning is “you just can’t” which is a total cop-out. Lol.

5 Likes
Hey @Zombedy! Thanks for the reply. I super appreciate your thoughts on this topic, especially since I love talking to people with different view points than me. Your words didn't come across as condescending at all. I definitely see your points about applying these films to a general audience and not wanting to replicate the cartoons or comics. I'm sorry if that's how it may have came across on my end, but it's not what I intended. In the beginning of my first comment I talked about how I felt it necessary to separate these films from the comics and other films. I even stated I didn't like comparing these two filmmakers and their visions because they are completely different people with different interpretations. However, if I may, I'd like to expand upon why I don't think Snyder was the right fit. I know you mentioned how my view on the no kill rule was personal interpretation and shouldn't be placed on Snyder, and I'm willing to concede that. However, I feel like your comment did the same thing in the opposite direction. By that I mean that you discussed why you don't mind the killing because of how your personally felt about the character. That is totally okay with me. I'm not saying my interpretation is the right one. I personally value the no kill rule because of it's purpose. The idea that he won't kill because it's the one thing that separates him from the people he fights. For me, it's a major plot point for Bruce Wayne's version of Batman (obviously Thomas Wayne feels differently lol) that is used in numerous storylines and universes. Forgive me for digressing, as I understand your point and would like to be a little bit more objective about Snyder's interpretation of the DCEU and not bring in my personal interpretations of the characters, as you had mentioned at the beginning of your comment.
Comics are a HUGE hobby for me, however, I actually love filmmaking and screenwriting more. It's something I study and analyze pretty much 24/7, comics are more of a get-away and fun thing for me. So, if I look at Snyder's films from a purely technical stand point, I think they are still the weaker portrayals of the characters and universe. I'm not saying the artistic vision of Snyder is any worse than Nolan (once again they are completely different), but when I look at these portrayals from a purely technical stand point I still believe Nolan beats him out. In my opinion, Snyder's films have much poorer technique, but it's 100% okay to disagree with me on this. Let me expand upon this.
 The stories, characters, and overall writing in particular are what mainly bother me about Snyder's films. I won't be discussing Justice League in this because I don't believe it's fair to judge him on a film he didn't get to see 100% through. Personally, I wasn't a fan of the film, but I have no idea if he was able to fulfill his vision with it given the tragic circumstances of his departure. So, as for Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman (and yes I have seen the extended cut of BvS), both struggle with developing justification for character's actions, setting stakes for the characters, and creating a concise plot that develops a well deserved arch. While I will admit that Man of Steel isn't necessarily too bad at any of these things (it definitely contains the best villain of the DCEU so far), it still struggles to in these areas to see everything it sets up to its full potential. I guess this is a personal view and not necessarily a technical point as I had mentioned before, but when the basis of your entire film... nay the film itself doesn't contain the basic techniques that make up a good script you aren't stepping off with your best foot. We open the film with 20 minutes of Krypton and sending Kal El away. It's 100% unnecessary. Superman's origin wasn't necessary. You may disagree, but when the Max Fleisher cartoons can give the same exact information in its opening, and Grant Morrison can do it in just four panels; we have a classic case of "fluffed" up, unnecessary writing. Everyone knows the origin of Superman, even if you haven't seen the films. Why not open on Clark Kent at the Daily Planet. Show us a normal day for this man, make us get to know the character of this universe, and give us a chance to like him. Then enters Zod. He, as a good villian, becomes an obstacle that disrupts the daily life we just saw and Superman must overcome. OR, better yet, introduce a villain we haven't seen on screen before. Man of Steel was the 3rd time Zod has been seen in live action. Why not introduce a new threat that moviegoers haven't seen before. If we want to market these films to just general moviegoers instead of fans, then why not introduce a new villian? Someone no general moviegoer would have even known existed. The threat would be intense and new to the viewers just like it would be for Superman. I mean, everyone knows he beats Zod, he's done it twice before in other films. That's something that the Nolan films did extremely well. I know it's easy to point to the Joker and say he's someone every moviegoer has seen, but not Scarecrow or Ras Al Ghul or Bane or Two Face. All three of them would have been new, and even the Joker was a completely different experience for moviegoers. A completely different interpretations that we hadn't seen in films prior and haven't seen since.
 As for BvS, it's not really its own thing. There's a reason its subtitle is: Dawn of Justice. It's only purpose for existing was to set up the Justice League, but it failed at that too. We three main Justice League members introduced were Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. Two out of the Three were already well known amongst moviegoers, but not Wonder Woman, not the rest of the Justice League. It failed at its only purpose, it didn't set up the next movie at all. We got hardly any information on Wonder Woman and none on The Flash, Cyborg, or Aquaman. And on top of that, it's not even really Batman Vs. Superman. It has a somewhat decent fight that is concluded ridiculously. The fight had no justification, at least well thought out or developed one, and didn't serve any purpose outside of introducing Superman and Batman. Why not, instead, spend the film introducing all of these characters. Give us glimpses into their lives, not origins and everything else (save that for the solo movies), but enough to introduce their personalities and powers. Then, in the end, have them all come together to beat Doomsday. Make it the DAWN OF JUSTICE, before they must all learn to work together as a team to take on bigger threats in the next film. But you may disagree, let's say I just focus on it as a film instead of the set up it was trying to be. BvS completely flops when it comes to justifying character actions, as I mentioned when talking about the fight, and doesn't have a clear threat towards the characters. There are four different villains or obstacles in the film: Lex Luthor, Doomsday, Batman, and the overall discussion of holding superheroes accountable to their actions. All of these are things Superman must overcome. It's just too much. It's the second film of the universe, on a purely basic storytelling level, you can't have your main characters tackle all of these obstacles on top of having to set up the entire universe. Because of all of these things taking place within 2 hours, nothing is able to be fully developed or justified. Everything flops. Lex Luthor is a nice opponent, albeit well worn like Zod. I don't have an opinion on Eisenberg's performance, it's unique and on its own. Batman is hardly developed and his actions aren't well justified. Yes, they provide reasoning for why he feels certain ways and wants to take on Superman, but they aren't well developed. He never considers alternatives and thinks out why he feels the way he does, and his hatred is shallow enough to be ended at the single mention of a name. Doomsday comes out at the last minute and turns the climax into another big blue light show.
4 Likes

That was really long, so let me summarize. The storytelling and writing of the films are flawed. The villains aren’t unique or given the chance to shine. The films aren’t able to stand on their own and are purely used to set up a bigger universe. And overall, the films miss the mark and don’t reach their full potential when it comes to developing everything it sets up and creating stakes. Nolan’s films on the other hand do all of this. All characters are developed, villains are well thought out, each film is able to stand on its own while also crafting an overarching and well connected narrative across 3 films. Nolan’s films and stories themselves are just much better from a technical stand point. However, I will say that this is all just my opinion. I can appreciate other people finding joy in Snyder’s films and totally disagreeing with me. I envy you guys, it means I’m missing out on something and that sucks. On top of that, I would like to praise Snyder’s eye. He has a beautiful eye for shots and cinematography. If there is one thing I can praise Snyder for, is that his films did look beautiful. I wish he would have just been given the time to develop his stories more. Maybe he was pressured into a time crunch and including more into his stories due to WB demanding him too, and if that’s the case I’m sorry. Have a nice day everyone! I’m hoping to hear your guys opinion on this to maybe see how I can grow and better understand/appreciate Snyder’s films from your POV’s!

4 Likes

I never thought this thread would get so many passionate, deep, well-written replies. Thank you everyone for sharing your views/perspectives on the topics and wherever branching to. You are the DC fans that I truly desire to be.

It is YOU guys as well as the mods that inspire me to be a bigger fan, to delve deeper into lore and open my mind. Very knowledgable and very kind. The interaction here is merciful and this is the very essence of what heroes are born out of.

6 Likes

Y’all got two much time on your hands…

Writin novellas up there ^^^:tired_face::joy:

6 Likes

Probably do lol. Idk, never get to talk about this stuff with people I know irl.

4 Likes

Me either, the only person I know who likes comics irl is my brother in law who I talk to like once a year lolz fa real tho

5 Likes