Did I miss something, or did Dick have Kory blow up a lot of people?

Is there someway to watch that and not believe Dick had Kory blow up a building and kill a lot of people? They killed anyone inside, and anyone in the tunnels beneath.

2 Likes

Nope they definitely killed all those people

3 Likes

Looks like it.

Series Finale: Kara and Kal hauls them all off to Arkham where their curbstomping pyromaniac cannibilastic butts belong.

3 Likes

Yeah it was pretty jarring in a few ways. First it completely messes up Dick’s character arc of feeling that he has become too brutal. The last episode gave us a great contrast between Jason and Dick. Asylum removed that contrast. Secondly and maybe more importantly it goes against the core of what these characters as heroes are supposed to be. There are plenty of dark brutal anti heroes out there. Spawn, Punisher, Lobo just to name a few. There is no need to reinvent classic characters into jaded blood soaked killers.

5 Likes

Deep stuff, Piddler👌🏻

Yes he is now a mass murderer.
Of course I found it hypocritical of him to criticize the brutal fashion Jason beat up cops but he brutally attacks criminals in same fashion breaking bones. Yes one is cops and other is bad guys but not much difference in how violent they are.

5 Likes

Yes, they did, but that’s been one of the main themes of the show since its inception. Eventually, DC/Warners hopes we will become inured to the violence and accept their worldview that not only killing, but mass-murder is justifiable. This show makes Arrow look like a Sunday-school picknick.

1 Like

Bruce needs to come set him straight already.

1 Like

What’s with all the complaining being done and people saying “oh it’s too violent” or “they don’t kill people in comics”. Seriously? Folks ARE killed in them and this isn’t the “teen” titans. As a 34 y/o woman who’s been a fan over 20 years, it’s nice to see that companies within the genres are willing to produce material for people who’ve outgrown PG-13.

They held Rachael’s mom captive for over a decade so they could essentially to force a child (Rachael) to cause a version of the apocalypse. They pumped Dick full of God knows what in order to mentally break him (it appears to have worked). They beat the devil out of poor Gar and he wound up doing the extreme of something he previously controlled so as to never do. And they were pretty much dissecting Kory WHILE SHE WAS AWAKE.

So, to answer your question: yes, they killed a bunch of folks. As they should. I don’t understand what the problem is there.

1 Like

Dick Grayson: “Bruces way was too violent, so I had to leave…excuse me!” (beats someone to death)… His explanation of his circumstances totally doesn’t make sense. And if Batman finds out, he’ll end up in jail or Arkham…

3 Likes

I think you guys are holding the “no kill rule” a little too close to your hearts, to the detriment your own ability to enjoy. Killing does not equate murder, murder is to kill without justification.
Also, to suggest Dick has been anything but virtuous is to misunderstand the term and its relation to moral judgement. To insist on a “killing equals murder” or “if you kill, you’re no better than them” narrative is asking for a completely empty story.
“Aristotle defines moral virtue as a disposition to behave in the right manner and as a mean between extremes of deficiency and excess, which are vices. We learn moral virtue primarily through habit and practice rather than through reasoning and instruction”
The Greeks had the 4 cardinal virtues, they combined them with the 3 theological virtues to make the 7 heavenly virtues. They are: Other cultures have their own sets of virtues that define their moral code, but there are a few that are universal, most notable: Wisdom, Honesty, and Courage. One thing you won’t find in any moral code anywhere is “no killing at all” because it is anything but a moral judgement as it completely ignores any examination. That falls into the Wisdom/Temperance catagory.
I know that Batman does canonically have a “no kill rule”, but is it important to anything beyond merchandising to children? That’s where it comes from, making Batman kid friendly. It is a flimsy moral position.
We’ve all seen the first episode of Batman: Beyond, where Bruce pulls the gun but retires. What happens when the thug would rather die trying to kill the Bat? Bruce can pull the trigger or he can die. K, fine hes had a good life. But what if that happens when he’s twenty? Is being beaten to death virtuous? It isn’t heroic as heroes die selflessly in service to others. He would just be dying pointlessly

Oops I forgot to finish “they are: prudence, justice, courage, temperance, faith, hope, and charity”. But even then, Aristotle expanded that to twelve.

I’m not sure this sequence is meant to be about ethical right and wrong-- it, and in many ways the show-- are trying to put a greater sense of REAL-- not reality-- into a story of masked heroes, metas, aliens, and demigods. After fighting his way through a squad of bad guys by breaking them, not killing them, after the fashion of Batman-- Dick Grayson makes a tactical, strategic decision where Kory is more of a soldier than he is-- he sees a way to end the war, and asks her to do what he can’t to keep themselves and their friends safe. So… yea. They blowed up a couple of mad scientists and however many armored guards real good. The right and wrong of maybe calling the Feds or simply dealing-- permanently in this case-- with torturers who want to use a 14 year-old girl to bring about a world ending apocalypse is up the the individual viewer. It really is an excellent ethical conundrum. One that Dick Grayson tries to solve by running straight to someone older, smarter, and prettier than he is.

1 Like