Dick Grayson Fan Club: Bi-Week #3 March 16th - March 29th, 2020

What up Wingnuts?,
Rockin Robin March part 2 starts here. To celebrate the hunk wonder’s 80th birthday this bi-week we will be exploring his graduation into Nightwing with Brave & the Bold #54 and The New Teen Titans #39 and #44 (hell, if you want read all of NTT vol 4 and Judas Contract too cuz Wolfman and Perez’s run is amazing! But shhh :shushing_face: don’t tell @Nightroia I told you :joy::wink:)
Discussions open tomorrow and will stay open whenever you are ready! You can find B&B here and NTT here and here.
:partying_face: HAPPY BIRTHDAY :balloon::tada::confetti_ball::gift::birthday: DICK!

9 Likes

DC Universe was nice enough to collect The Judas Contract in its entirety here, and they even threw in the 2003 TV adaptation. There’s also the more recent animated film adaptation right here. And here’s a clip from my favorite adaptation:

4 Likes

:no_mouth: :no_mouth: :no_mouth: :no_mouth: :no_mouth:

3 Likes

Has anybody else noticed that Titans Hunt is a callback to their first team up in Brave and the Bold #54???

3 Likes

If anyone wants to watch the movie adaptation of The Judas Contract, don’t forget to leave your thoughts about it with the TV & Movie Club this week:

6 Likes

I guess I’ll start off the discussion. It appears that Dick’s time as Robin was tremulous at best. Batman didn’t really know how to be a father figure and got better with the coming Robins. It is with Judas Contract where Dick’s story and character development comes full circle and he truly becomes his own man (something that today’s comics struggle to grasp).
It’s with the Teen Titans that Dick leans how to be a kid again. He realizes that his time with Bats took that away and he has to find himself again. Dick’s graduation is not only a love letter but an apology to the character and something that will forever be revered as one of the greatest DC stories to be printed. Now if only DC’s creators could remember what all this meant, but we will.

3 Likes

I much prefer Wolfman’s idea that Dick gradually made these decisions for himself rather than the Post-Crisis idea that Bruce fired Dick. That’s one of a few problems I have with the Max Collins reworking of Jason’s origin.

5 Likes

@AlexanderKnox Yeah I hated that. But my absolute favorite is from The New Batman Adventure episode “Old Wounds” where Dick laid Batman out and quit.

4 Likes

I’d like it better if it weren’t wrapped up in Bruce Timm’s Bruce/Babs shipping. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@AlexanderKnox I would too. It would be so much better if it wasn’t wrapped around Babs, I just feel like Batman needs to be laid out once in awhile. Dick seems to be the only one that will check his ass.

2 Likes

You know, if you move the word “out” from the first sentence and place it strategically in the second sentence…

No!!! The double entendres strike again in the Dick Grayson Club! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

@AlexanderKnox :joy::rofl::sob: Nooooooo

2 Likes

That’s what I thought too!

2 Likes

I gotta say it was really funny when Dick came out all pumped to introduce his new identity and then he just stops and is like “wait why are you also wearing a new costume”.

5 Likes

I literally laughed out loud.

2 Likes

I never thought about that before…that is pretty funny!

2 Likes

Jericho kinda stole his moment but it was funny.

4 Likes

Also, I thought that this would be my first time reading The Brave and the Bold #54, but as I was reading it I realized that I recognized most of the pages. It was a strange experience because I still cannot figure out when I read it the first time.

3 Likes

A long while back, a woman my dad worked with cleaned out some boxes from her attic and I ended up with some really great older comics, including this issue of Brave and Bold. Not in great shape, mind you, but it’s still really cool to actually own a copy.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! My grandparents like to go antiquing and found some older issues of Team Titans and Batman and got them for me.

3 Likes