Dick Grayson and Batgirl, or him and Starfire

Dick can fly off, Star has been obsessed with him for so long and most timelines she loves him but in many of his timelines Star isn’t even a thing. I’ve started reading comics not long ago and I grew up watching Teen Titans, and I don’t think I can explain how broken my heart was when I found that Star isn’t in the Nightwing comics with him.
Also the excuse they used in Outlaws to say Starfire only see humans as smells, wtf that just sounds like sexism making the “perfect woman” someone who doesn’t give a f about sex roles and is “easy”. Starfire is ALL ABOUT FEELINGS. SHE WAS PROBABLY SO ■■■■■■■ HURT. MANY TIMES DICK WAS THE LOVE OF HER LIFE, love isn’t something you forget. Im sorry I guess Im just ranting, if she was hurt the writers would have put it in but I guess Im just angry cuz I was hurt about it. Star is the romantic icon of DC and I wish they used that more. I miss her thought box being written in letter format with beautiful cursive, and her dramatic flying off to space. Star just has the ability to be so much more, and Grayson was on the way, its time love found its way back into her ■■■■■■■ timeline because Id love to read about the intensity she would live this love at.

2 Likes

She definitely needs someone in her life who isn’t as romantically involved as Nightwing.

Also, welcome!

1 Like

I think him and Barbara work theoretically best, but I don’t think there’s ever really been a run that highlights what makes them work best as a couple than what Wolfman originally did with him and Starfire.

As evidenced in Nightwing’s Rebirth run Batgirl gets Nightwing. They understand each other very well. Like when she gives him his rolling hideout with all the workout equipment. I think it’s awesome. They also really respect each other like when Nightwing wakes up and sees the fake Babs. He knows that’s not something she would ever do.
I think it’s an awesome relationship that has really grown over the years. It’s made even more special by how he treats her even after the worst event of her entire life. That’s why it’s one of my favorite relationships in DC.

2 Likes

Another thing I think of with this eternal question – and yes, it is eternal and will never die – is that I think both relationships work for different reasons at different times.

Barbara definitely works as a first love – someone who he sees all the time, who both challenges him and is someone he can confide in when Bruce is in his more closed-off times. And I think that’s something that continues to be the case no matter if they’re in a relationship or not.

Meanwhile, I think what makes his relationship with Starfire work was that it was happening at a time when he was separating himself from being Robin, the Boy/Teen Wonder and under Batman’s shadow. So I think him being with this alien woman who is so away from all that makes sense. Not only that, independence is key in Starfire’s character – her crux as a character is that she was enslaved and she fought her way out of it.

1 Like

Batgirl first, last, and always!

3 Likes

@Starsfire Welcome! What a well-reasoned analysis! And a great topic for your first post! :grinning:

Barbra, there is no question about it. She is better then Starfire because their relationship is more flesh out and they care for each other, even though they can’t be together.

1 Like

You do have a point with Dick and Star, and Welcome to the community

@Applejack, are you a Batwing fan or Nightstar fan?

Nightstar