Diamond Halts Shipments of All New Comics Due to Coronavirus Pandemic

I think digital would be around $1-2 each. Any more than that for a single digital comic is insane.

4 Likes

Also what about Landmark and Milestone issues. Will those be digital. What is the point of variant covers as well if it’s digital. Maybe they do digital and release every run or storyline in a single printed book.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, they have to overcharge for the digital issues in order to keep the brick-and-mortar shops appeased.

5 Likes

This is an interesting video on the topic
2 Likes

Or maybe a flat charge a month for unlimited DC comics releases. They could do that for digital and for me at least something like that would be worth it.

3 Likes

Another option (which may or may not be satisfactory for the local comic shops) would be to have a month’s delay on digital issues in exchange for a much lower price.

(For this month, though, I think they should just release the issues digitally.)

7 Likes

Completely agree.

2 Likes

I know why they do it. But when the brick and mortar stores are not an option, keeping the price point that high is ridiculous.

3 Likes

They have that here, just have to wait a year

3 Likes

Yeah. But that would mean a year without comic books to then get that.

2 Likes

I feel like they should have an emergency service of more up to date comics available here on the service during this crisis, and then go back to normal when comic shops reopen.

2 Likes

That would be great.

1 Like

Looks like printing will be temporarily shut down for DC as well other comic imprints. I’m sure tons of us saw this coming and it’s certainly a good decision considering the times, as heartbreaking as it may be. In the coming days I’m sure we’ll hear what this means for current ongoing titles. Do we think they will keep up to date and release solely digital? Or will everything be on hold? I’m interested in how most of us we’ll be going from here: drop any thoughts on the situation here.
Love you all! Be kind and be safe!!

4 Likes

I truly hope they do not go solely digital through the pandemic. If they do, I hope they eventually release everything in print. I have spent way too much time and money on building my collection. I do not want to see it all for naught. There is just something about seeing, holding, smelling, and reading comics that disappears with the digital format. I understand what they are doing. We are all in this together, and disruptions to life should be expected, but life WILL go on. I am willing to wait to purchase the new comics in print whenever they hit store shelves.

6 Likes

My man! This is also my plan, but if they do continue ongoing titles I will grab Batman digital and can wait on the rest. Part of me just hopes the wait on it all tho, love those floppys!

4 Likes

I understand. Batman is starting to heat up. The thing I am wary about with getting into the digital with Batman is the upcoming Joker War. Depending on how long this break from the norm lasts, I would have to also get Nightwing, Detective Comics, Batgirl, Catwoman, and Red Hood: Outlaws just to be in the loop with Joker’s plan. If I am getting all those, then why not Justice League Dark, Thor, Spider-Man Noir, New Mutants… It is a slippery slope. Of course, the only real problem is having to repurchase them all in print when they come out. I do not mind spending money on comics, but this could get ridiculous.

3 Likes

They used to do that back when they started doing day-and-date digital releases. After one month the price dropped $1. I don’t see them going back to this anytime soon unfortunately.

Personally I think it should be possible to get digital discounts on new releases just as you can in most physical stores. Just make it so that if you buy a certain number of books you get a certain discount, or if you subscribe digitally and pay in advance you get a discount or stuff like that.

5 Likes

That actualy still do that it just 6months to a year now instead of one month they reduce all there issue prices by a dollar on comixology. They dont tell anyone about it tho.

5 Likes

Forgot about that. By that time it is too late IMO. If If I can wait 6 months I might as well wait a year and get it here on DC Universe instead.

6 Likes

My shop was devastated by the recession of "08 and "09. In the the first few months we lost 65% of the pull list. Customers were telling me it was “my kid’s college fund or my hobby”. We never recovered and closed shortly after. To this day when ever I pass a small business that has been shuttered I grieve. I know the pain, frustration and loss (a loss of more than just money–a loss of dignity) that these shop owners are experiencing. I pray these comic shops can survive, but it won’t be easy. If your local comic store has an online presence support that. Many have robust back stock in trades and back issues. Now might be the time to purchase that Morrison JLA Omnibus, Return of Barry Allen trade or that missing issue of Warlock or Booster Gold.
A little can go a long way.

13 Likes