Denys Cowan Q&A and Exclusive Giveaway!

The DC Creator Q&A Series is back, and kicking off 2024 with our first featured creator: Denys Cowan!

The new year is in full swing, which marks the return of our DC Creator Q&A Series! This month, we’ll be sitting down with industry icon Deny Cowan! As one of the most influential creators in the comics industry, Denys is known for his work on historic characters such as Batman, Superman, and The Question. Beyond his character work, Denys also helped found Milestone Media in 1993, which featured the introduction of iconic characters like Icon & Hardware, and Static Shock!

Want to know what makes Denys tick? You’ve come to the right place! Submit your questions for Denys in this thread by February 9, and he’ll tackle your answers when Episode 7 of the DC Creator Q&A Series releases on February 26th!

As with every episode of the DC Creator Q&A Series, all participants have a chance to win a signed book! Submit a question in the thread below, and you’ll be entered for a chance to win a signed copy of 2024’s DC Power #1– as always, please limit your questions for Denys to just one, so that she can answer as many as possible!

Terms Apply. For eligibility requirements, full rules, and details on the Creator Q&A Giveaway, please visit this page.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER/WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Void where prohibited. Open only to legal residents of the 50 US or D.C. who are 18 or older. This DC Universe Infinite Community Giveaway (“DCUICG”) begins 2/2/34 at 12:00:00 p.m. PT and ends 02/09/24 at 11:59:59 p.m. PT. Prize for this DCUICG: DC Power 2024 #1. ARV of this DCUICG Prize: $3.99. Click here to view complete Official Rules, including ALL methods of entry, restrictions and extended Prize details. Odds of winning depend on # of Entries received for this specific DCUICG. Entry into this specific DCUI Community Giveaway does not result in an Entry into any other DCUICG, Sweepstakes or Contests. Sponsored and Administered by DC Comics, 4000 Warner Blvd., Burbank, CA 91522.
19 Likes

Wow! I’m a big fan! I actually just finished Worlds Collide, and I was just wondering what your favorite part was? As in, favorite character or plot point, not creating the comics.

Although that would be cool to know too lol

13 Likes

What an honor to have you with us, Denys Cowan! I’m gonna ask you a question I get asked all the time, as a huge Question fan: what makes The Question a more interesting character than, for example, Batman?

13 Likes

How has milestone helped you in your career and how has milestone becoming a part of the wider DC universe affected your work?

11 Likes

I always have loved Denys Cowan’s work! He’s one of my favorite modern day comic book creators. I always have trouble thinking of questions for things like this, so I will just ask something obvious and basic. Who is your favorite Milestone character and why?

12 Likes

Hello :wave: Thanks for stoping by
My question is if a DC character was set to be permanently placed in the milestone universe who do thinks would be the best fit?

9 Likes

Who’s your favorite dc character?

8 Likes

@Samsonkillingtime I know you really enjoyed this comic so I thought I’d give you a heads up.

8 Likes

It’s an honor to have an icon like Denys Cowan join us and I hope @bjkicks sees this and ask a question because I know how big a fan his is of Mr. Cowan’s work and the entirety of Milestone Media.

I’m going to give this some thought and ask my question later but thank you for continuing this Q&A series and for giving us the chance to ask questions of, and hear from, Denys Cowan!

10 Likes

Hmm… only one question?

What’s the hardest or most frustrating part about drawing Hardware?

Thanks for the heads up @felixleiter!

12 Likes

So honored!

What do you want to see in the future of DC?

9 Likes

Hi Mr. Cowen,
My question is, what was is like working with Denny O’Neil? Was it a typical Comic Book Artistic relationship, where he wrote the script and you filled in the blanks? Or more “Stan Lee/Jack Kriby 'Marvel Method,” where you were working together to develop the story of “The Question”? Did Denny have a plot, then you drew the issue and he had to figure out the dialogue, or did you have the plot, like Jack’s “FF” and Denny had to figure it all out afterwards?

9 Likes

I had no idea until a few years ago that the character Dr. Miles Hawkins played by Carl Lumbly in the short lived superhero show M.A.N.T.I.S. was supposed to be part of the Milestone Universe and be Static’s uncle. Would love to learn more about the origin of the character.

7 Likes

So honored to have you here, Denys!

As a Static fan, my question is: How do you feel about the evolution of Virgil Hawkins’s character between Static (1993) and more recent series, like Static: Season One/Shadows of Dakota?

8 Likes

As one of the founders of milestone media, how do you think it would be different if it was founded today instead of back in 93?

6 Likes

Oh, wow, this is the best Q&A yet.

@RexRebel asked almost the same question I was going to, but I think there’s a distinction (asking about the world versus asking about you…), so I hope it’s worth answering both.

Looking back on the founding of Milestone, what, if anything, would you want to have done differently?

7 Likes

Huge fan! I have all of your Deathlok issues as well as a ton of your Milestone issues and covers.

What are DC Comics series, stories, or characters that you think are underrated or overlooked?

8 Likes

I’m a fan and excited for this opportunity to interact.
Given the decades since Milestone, how would you assess its impact of its legacy on representative culturally relevant storytelling and what would suggests needs to happen to maitain and gain progress for the future and will you be a part of translating that progress to the cinematic universe?

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @jdboucher0.68281 and @dtwatson6706.95229! Thanks for taking part in our Q&A - if you need anything, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the moderator team. :batparrot:

6 Likes

Mr. Cowan: What kind of character (or genre, or story), that you have not yet had the opportunity to draw, would you most like to work on? Is it something that already exists with a publisher, or maybe something that is entirely your own creation?

7 Likes