Den Of Geek Reporting: Margot Robbie Wants A Live Action Harley/Ivy Pair Up

I would love to see another film version of Ivy. I think Batman movies have skewed towards “realistic” for a really long time, so we’ve gotten away from characters with powers for the most part. Suicide Squad did a great job in bringing back the element of magic so it would be interesting to see an Ivy from that style of film. I think the special effects with all the plant life could potentially be incredible.

I also think the fan base is here for this, and will be supportive. We like to see a variety of different villains in general. Fans tend to get upset with changes to the look of characters (if they aren’t comics-accurate) and to personality changes. If they spent more time dialing in a really solid presentation and started including more characters that people haven’t seen for a long time I think it would be awesome.

I think it’s inappropriate to “ship” actors together. They are real people with real lives outside of their characters. Looking at the chemistry between two actors to portray a relationship between two characters is fine, but doesn’t extend to anything outside the medium of theater or film. So hopefully, just like how Margot Robbie has kissed males who aren’t her husband in films, it’ll be okay to kiss a woman who isn’t her wife.

5 Likes

To clarify, I quoted the portion of your reply that I was making a response to, and did so because I didn’t intend to refute your entire response. Just adding that comment to my own response. Your opinions are very much still in context. I am confused as to why you think that actors kissing other actors means they’re cheating on their spouses. It’s clear that Margot Robbie enjoys the relationship between Harley and Ivy, and wants to see that portrayed in her movies. Does that mean she’s lusting after a fictional character? If so, that isn’t cheating on your spouse, since it’s fictional. The character of Ivy hasn’t been cast yet. Who does she want a relationship with?

5 Likes

If comic characters were only ever allowed to be portrayed the way they were originally created, the vast majority of the roster would be straight white men, and even as someone in that demo, that’s the last thing I and so many other fans want to see. Characters need to evolve and change over time in ways that keep them fresh and interesting w/out completely betraying who they are at their core. Ivy wasn’t gay or bi when she was created because no non-straight characters were being created in 1966. If she and Harley were only ever straight, we’d be deprived of 1 of the greatest romances in comics

By that logic, married actors would only ever be able to have on-screen kisses w/ their spouses, which would be severely limiting from a creative standpoint. I know some actors like Neal McDonough make a personal choice to not have love scenes w/ other actors, and that’s perfectly fine if it’s what they want. But it makes no sense to force that on everyone. The kissing, like everything else in acting, is just a performance that isn’t reality. It’s like @iJest said, Margot wanting Ivy/Harlivy in the DCEU is borne out of a love for the character and the couple and wanting to bring that to a live-action movie, which is typically gonna get the most attention out of all the media forms

5 Likes

Thanks @DC89 for posting the article, because I didn’t know about the rich backstory between Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn.

I would be in favor of seeing the two ladies on the cinema screen, bright and center for fans to enjoy. Gotham’s got some terrific leading villainesses.

My favorite part of Margot Robbie’s quote from the article is, “So I’ll keep pestering them. Don’t worry.”

Between now and August I need to catch up on my Harley Quinn backlog.

5 Likes

:smiley: :+1:

Agreed @Michael_Porter- great quote indeed. Really hoping we get to see HarlIvy onscreen together soon!

5 Likes

Hell yeah!

6 Likes

6 Likes

I would love to see a Poison Ivy live action again :star_struck:

3 Likes

But she’s not saying she wants a relationship with someone. She’s saying she wants the character to have a relationship with someone.

5 Likes

My reaction seems to have been removed, so I’ll say again: Rad!
I definitely could use more Harlivy

5 Likes

Right there with ya’ @SuperBlueGrodd. :smiley: :00_harley_quinn: :00_harlivy: :0_harley_quinn: :0_poison_ivy_tas: :harley_delicioushqtas: :poison_eyebrowhqtas:

3 Likes

She was a producer on Birds of Prey, having pitched the idea to WB in the 1st place, and is still serving as an important creative voice in Harley’s role in the DCEU going forward. Granted, I don’t think there’s anything wrong w/ cast members wanting specific storylines for their characters in general, but it makes even more sense that Robbie is pushing for certain elements like this for Harley given that she does have more of a say in the character’s future than your average cast member would

3 Likes

Wasn’t she told no on Sirens because of Batwoman being in The Batman?

3 Likes

This kind of view and attitude is quite frankly a little misogynistic and problematic to say the least.
First off, being bi or homosexual isn’t inherently linked to promiscuity. To say that it is, and to belittle people who actively and ethically engage in open/poly relationships is gross on several counts. Canonically, when Ivy is interested in Harley, she tends to really only have eyes for her, even if their relationship is open. I adore Ivy. She’s one of my favourite characters- she’s also an element of how I came to terms with my sexuality. I tend to enjoy the more modern eco warrior take on her- with the basis of her identity beginning in Gaiman’s Secret Origins story. You can be attracted to only one individual at any given time and still be attracted to multiple genders.
Plenty of actors have rallied to bring characters into films and TV because they enjoy the interactions they have in previous media without actually seeking to date the person they bring in for it. Especially given that Margot has stated that she wants Ivy as a character without ANY hint of favouring any actress for the role, one can assume it’s in the interest of seeing the best of her character, and another character she also adores. That’s not cheating any more than Amanda Seyfried playing a character who is in love with her ex-boyfriend’s character in Mamma Mia! Here we go again. Acting is a job. A fun job where you get to pretend to be other people. If you think Margot going for Harlivy is cheating, any actors playing any fictional couple were also cheaters. Hopefully, you’re able to understand that this is not the case.
Side note: Being in a polyamorous or open relationship is not “forsaking morals”. It’s not how I choose to engage in relationships, but that doesn’t make it wrong or bad. Cheating is. There’s a difference between two consenting adults agreeing mutually that they can also sleep with or date other people whilst being in a relationship with one another, and one individual going against their partner’s wishes and comfort to pursue a relationship with another person without their knowledge and break their trust. Also, we don’t know anything about Robbie’s marriage and shouldn’t make these kind of assumptions either way. It’s not our job to pry unless we’re personally impacted or it becomes abusive.

12 Likes

Thank you

7 Likes

I wish I could like this again.

7 Likes

:black_heart::heart::green_heart:

5 Likes

I’ll be another to say thank you for this. Thank you!

7 Likes

Agreed @iJest @SuperBlueGrodd and @DickGrayson_TheBoyFriendWonder

Fantastically worded and brimming with truth and clarity here @gwynniepeg. Honoring you for living your truth. :purple_heart:

And yes- according to reports Robbie was informed by WB that Selina is hands off for now until The Batman film(s) finish their run.

9 Likes

Ok, so, I just want to ask you one thing here: do you believe Batman, Superman, WonderWoman, and other DC characters should be exactly like they were created? That they shouldn’t grow as characters beyond their creators?
Also, by that logic, doesn’t that mean that this is the one true Batman?

You can still be attracted to others and still be with somebody. You just choose not to act on that attraction (assuming it’s not an open relationship, etc.). This is the same of any sexuality.
When you marry someone, you don’t automatically stop feeling attraction to everybody you had been attracted to before.

4 Likes