Decoding Comments By JL Screenwriter Chris Terrio

‘Justice League’ Screenwriter Chris Terrio Is Super Pissed Off | Vanity Fair

Finally, there’s some kind of comment from Chris Terrio on the Snyder Cut. This interview also goes into his experience with Dawn of Justice quite a bit.

Although he does not slam either Geoff Johns or David Goyer, there are a few hints dropped that they both harmed what he otherwise would have delivered.

He says that the script he took over for Dawn of Justice - apparently Goyer’s - was already too dark and brutal, and he was trying to fix it.

Previous reports described Chris as irritated that, once Dawn of Justice was universally slammed for being too dark, others started taking it for granted that what he wrote needed improving. And tthat would have been at the time that Geoff Johns was was promoted to oversee the DC films. Terrio does say he was surprised to see how much of his dialogue remained in the Snyder cut, which seems to confirm that there was a lot of meddling with his script (Johns seems the obvious person), even in what Snyder shot.

I thought it strange very weird that was complete silence by the film’s screenwriter in the weeks leading up the Snyder Cut release, so I’m very glad his viewpoint is now available.

4 Likes

He really drug Warner through the mud. He’s got that Oscar and tons of talent, he didn’t have to pull any punches.
I liked hearing his motivations for characters in BVS too. He talked about Batman’s obsession with killing Superman, a modern day weapon of mass destruction. The article was good because it was so sad.

4 Likes

Poor Terrio…:sob::sob::sob:…someone get this kid a nap, a hot meal and a hug and maybe he’ll feel better. The studio paid him for work they could do whatever the hell they wanted to with. Maybe he shouldn’t have signed the contract. Maybe his script is just fundamentally flawed or lacks appeal for the CBM format audiences like and are willing to buy tickets for.

Just because he wrote it does mean it’s still not a mess of hot garbage.

4 Likes

It sounds like a sh## show over there at Warner. I doubt many folks feel like you and want to toe the line for a shady studio with controversy that seems to never stop.

3 Likes

Justice is the hot garbage or Dawn of Justice (or both)?

I’m pretty sure he does regret signing the contract, since he tried to take his name off the movie.

3 Likes

They’re making money. That’s all that matters.

2 Likes

I believe he said he “considered” it. I’m guessing that he considered royalties more important.

And even if he does regret it. Well…live and learn.

2 Likes

HA! I think that’s the funniest thing that can be “decoded” in that interview. Even he seems to acknowledge that ZSJL is still not a good film, but at least it is their film so he’s willing to take the criticism over it.

4 Likes

Nah, he said it was a big beast of a film that was crazy in the best of ways. This is all about the conflict between them and the studio. Their happy that their version was realized, otherwise we wouldn’t of even gotten this scoop.

3 Likes

He said Vic Stone is a tragic character. That tells me all I need to know.

2 Likes

Genuinely surprised at those of you who have been on this platform for years have no love for, Zach Snyder’s Justice League.

3 Likes

Why? His Superman is boring. His Batman is a consequentialist. His movies are repetitive. His Lex should have been called Toyman. His Doomsday should have been called Nuclear Man (there was nothing wrong with the concept of Superman IV), and his JL somehow has no Green Lantern.

3 Likes

That’s all subjective, but the fact of the matter is this is the only (original) JLA movie we’ve ever had.

2 Likes

Studio wouldn’t let Zach use, John Stewart. He nearly quit because of that.

2 Likes

Wrong.
Superman being boring and his movies being repetitive are objective. His Batman turning on Bats’s deontology, his Doomsday being another character, and there not being a green lantern are all subjective.

4 Likes

Invalid. Green Lantern has always been just about the most important member in every adaptation, and he wanted John as a mere cameo. When told no, because they had other plans for him he could have used Guy, Jessica, or Kyle and none of them would have batted an eye. Why not use Simon? He has been underused.

1 Like

You assume that was an option when you don’t know. Agree to disagree.

1 Like

I am sure they would stopped him from using B’dg. We need a B’dg movie. That would be awesome.

2 Likes

I’m of course speaking about live-action JLA movies. We’ve only had one. I don’t count Jostice League.

3 Likes

I cannot help but joke about this.

3 Likes