December's Community Member of the Month: Millernumber1!

With just one month left in 2023, it’s time to introduce this year’s final Community Member of the Month: @millernumber1!

What originally got you into DC Comics?

I would sometimes read a Batman comic in the library as a young teenager, and I particularly remember Superman visiting Batman in NML, and then Sasha Bordeaux in prison during Bruce Wayne: Murderer? But it wasn’t until Batman Begins that I really started reading DC Comics in earnest. I inhaled the trades that were available at the time!

Who is your favorite DC character, and why?

Longtime community members will be completely unsurprised that my favorite character in DC Comics is Stephanie Brown - the Spoiler, the fourth Robin, and the third (or fourth or fifth, depending on how you count!) Batgirl! I really identify with her being on the outside of the Batfamily, always trying to figure out how to be accepted and approved, but almost always failing, until her transcendent run as Batgirl!

What books are you currently reading?

Currently, I’m really enjoying Green Lantern and Jay Garrick: The Flash by Jeremy Adams, Xermanico, and Diego Olortegui, Fables by Willingham and Buckingham, Superman: Lost by Priest and Pagulayan (with assists by the amazing Lee Weeks), Superman by Williamson and Campbell, Batman by Zdarsky and Jimenez, Wesley Dodds: Sandman and Superman 78: The Metal Curtain by Venditti and Riley Rossmo and Gavin Guidry. I also was a big fan (not surprisingly!) of Batgirls by Cloonan, Conrad, Corona, Googe, ect. And, of course, I’m a huge fan of Wayne Family Adventures both on webtoons and in print (so I can read them to my little nieces and nephews!)

Are you watching any DC movies or shows?

I’ve watched most of the DC movies from the past few years - missed Blue Beetle, but seen the rest, and looking forward (but also anxious about poor Papa Curry) Aquaman 2! Just got a bunch of them on bluray for Black Friday, and very excited to see them again. For TV, I’ve enjoyed Superman and Lois quite a bit, and think Peacemaker was a really strong show - even better than the film which I consider it’s “pilot”, The Suicide Squad.

What are you most looking forward to within the DC universe?

More appearances of Stephanie Brown, of course! And one of my other favorites, Helena Bertinelli (her conflicts between her faith and her desire for revenge are very powerful!). For the stuff that’s upcoming in solicits, I think all of the titles I’m currently reading are all very exciting to me!

What 6-12 books would you recommend to the general DC Community?

Batgirl: Stephanie Brown (vol 1 and 2) a magnificent run that tells a complete story of a hero really coming into her own. Amazing writing and top notch art really make this book stand out for me! And second of my top two is always Batman: Year One - Miller and Mazzucchelli are just an unbeatable team, with amazing colors by Lewis as well.

Rounding out my recommendations are:

• Gail Simone’s run on Birds of Prey (happily collected in new trades, the last one coming out in spring 2024!), the first long run of comics I ever fell in love with

• Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood by Rucka and Burchett

• Superman: Man of Tomorrow by Venditti, Pelletier, and others

• Superman: Up in the Sky by King and Kubert

• Batman: Knightmares by King, Weeks, Janin, Fornes, Connor, and others

• Deathstroke by Priest and Pagulayan

• Hawkman by Venditti and Hitch

• Wonder Woman by Rucka (both runs, but particularly his 2000s run collected in three lovely volumes)

• Sword of Azrael by Watters and Cizmesija

• Detective Comics by James Tynion IV, Eddy Barrows, and Alvaro Martinez

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some, but these are all dearly beloved!

Congrats to December’s Community Member of Month, @millernumber1! :clap:

30 Likes

Congratulations my friend! Stephanie Brown will be overjoyed and will talk your ear off non-stop

13 Likes

Congrats @millernumber1 !! :purple_heart::partying_face:

13 Likes

Congrats @millernumber1!

12 Likes

Congratulations! :partying_face:

12 Likes

0d4b48ed-54cc-479a-8933-fe9e8d4d57bb_text

Congratulations! You are always a pleasure to interact with on the threads!

12 Likes

Congratulations @millernumber1!

12 Likes

Congratulations @millernumber1 you get to close out the yr.

12 Likes

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Congrats @millernumber1 ! :clap: :partying_face:

10 Likes

Congrats @millernumber1!! Well deserved!

13 Likes

Congrats @millernumber1 !

clapping-billy-dee-williams

11 Likes

Congratulations @millernumber1 !

15 Likes

congrats @millernumber1

12 Likes

Awesome™:+1: Congrats :tada: and cool recs.

9 Likes

Congratulations. Yet another member of the month that I have not had much contact with. But don’t let that diminish my congrulations wish.

10 Likes

Congratulations

10 Likes

Congrats, @millernumber1! Well deserved. :smiley:

10 Likes

Congrats @millernumber1 :+1: :smiley: :partying_face:

You deserved it!

Btw, I’m still keeping an eye out for that Stephanie Brown Pop for ya

10 Likes

@millernumber1

Hey I just heard. This is so awesome! Will be super interested to read your comic recommendations.

10 Likes

Congratulations, @millernumber1 !

10 Likes