Debate: Who is the best Superman writer?

Who gets the character the most? Who understands his psyche?
Who has written the most interesting stories for the last son of Kyrpton?

Hash it all out in the comment section! Share your thoughts and opinions!

DSC100655952.jpg

2 Likes

Maybe this is a cop-out answer, but… I have to say Jerry Siegel. There’s some kind of magic about his original Superman stories to which there have been excellent homages, but nothing can quite compare for sheer ingenuity.

5 Likes

Johny Byrne just because he created the post Crisis Superman and laid the groundwork for Superman as we (more or less) know him to this day.

7 Likes

Jeph Loeb holds a special place in my heart. Byrne, Wolfman, Johns and Tomasi are fantastic in their own rights.

4 Likes

Dan Jurgens

4 Likes

John Byrne

4 Likes

Alan Moore’s small output is great. Elliot s Maggin. I really think Kurt Busiek’s run is underrated.

3 Likes

Oh god sorry.

1 Like

I do looove me some Donner/Reeves Superman. Definitely the standard bearer.

2 Likes

Abfgmsw,

I read the first fifteen stories of Superman the other day. Definitely a different take on the character and I agree with your opinion that Supes was to aggressive compared to the standard version of the character. They were good stories and mostly good morals, but there was an issue or two that had Superman threatening to beat people for petty offenses like not paying people enough money. Not cool with Superman beating up people for not agreeing with his social agenda. Don’t remember if that was the exact example, but it was along those lines.

As far as the cursing, I’d prefer it if there was a lot less of it in the world and I agree it would be better if Superman didn’t curse. I don’t think he does very often even in modern times, does he? I’ll have to look out for that.

2 Likes

Whoops, a spell gone wrong might have caused a few posts to self-duplicate. No worries, I can take care of that!

:sparkles:!𝖚𝖔𝖞 𝖍𝖘𝖎𝖓𝖆𝖇 𝕴 !𝖘𝖙𝖘𝖔𝖕 𝖊𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖈 ,𝖊𝖓𝖔𝖌𝖊𝕭:sparkles:

3 Likes

Joe Kelly. He’s great with dialogue, writes unique action scenes, and he’s genuinely funny. Plus, Action Comics #775 is one of the seminal Superman stories.

As for Superman swearing, I think it’s important to remember that Clark grew up on a farm in Kansas. I’ve known a fair number of farmers and swearing seems to be a part of the job. So, I kind of agree with the DC Daily people that if Clark slips and talks like he does on the farm, it’s because the situation is really bad.

1 Like

Dan Jurgens is my favorite. John Byrne’s a close second.

2 Likes

Johns, Azzarello, Sale, Tomasi, Pak, Morrison, Jurgens, Byrne, Waid…hard to pick really. I will say if Bendis continues his current run and gets to tell his whole story, he can top that list. Really enjoying both his Superman and Action Comics.

1 Like

John Byrne and Dan Jurgens are my top two Superman scribes. But let’s not forget Cary Bates, Elliot S! Maggin, Len Wein and–recently–Peter Tomasi.

1 Like

Although he only wrote a hand full of Superman stories, it’s Alan Moore hands down.

Dan Jurgens for me all the way! With him, Clark was just as important as Superman. He knew how to write the supporting characters to where they weren’t just “supporting chracters”, they were real people. His stories whether they be the fantastic stuff from the triangle-era or the Rebirth stuff, he’s made Superman feel grand but we get him as a person. We’re with whether he’s working on a story at the Planet or taking on a villain. We get his Clark.

2 Likes

Grant Morrison, Eliot S! Maggin, Dan Jurgens, and Jerry Siegel

1 Like

Alan Moore wrote the story that marked the end of the pre Byrne Superman and “For the Man Who Has Everything” as well a team up with Swamp Thing.

1 Like

John Byrne was one of the best Superman writers of all time. I think that Peter tomasi, wrote Superman and son what’s the best I’ve ever seen in modern comics. Bendis on the other hand is the worst Superman writer of all time and is doing a good bit on destroying my favorite character. I’ve stopped collecting all Superman titles because Bendis and the bad writing.