Dear DC Diary

Dear DC Diary,

Nothing particularly new to write about today. Still rewatching the Justice League animated show. In the middle of a two-parter called “Paradise Lost”. It’s been so long it’s like watching it all for the first time. As much as I love the Snyder movies, I can’t help but think while watching DC’s animated fare (whether it’s this show or all the animated movies): “You had the template… couldn’t you just translate that to live action?”.

6 Likes

I remember everything about the show and that episode.

6 Likes

Over the past year, I’ve really learned to appreciate DC’s animated stuff in general, and the Bruce Timm shows in particular, a whole lot more than I used to. In any given 20 minute episode, you get action, story and characterization. You also get an artistic vision that is clearly there and very much its own thing, yet not overbearing. It doesn’t feel like “someone’s” take on DC, it just feels like DC. I mean that for both the shows and the animated movies.

6 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

I watched Deadshot slap the taste out of MC Gusto’s mouth last night on TV and now I’m not the same. Nothing. will. ever. be. the. same. :flushed:

8 Likes

Wait, this was today? I just now heard about it from a livestream a few hours ago (in which the first time Degenerate Jay noticed me in chat was when I asked what happened), but I assumed that this was a while ago, like the media had a field day with it or something.

7 Likes

Was yesterday. Tasteless joke followed by a completely inappropriate (to say the least) response.

7 Likes

I read more Justice Society

7 Likes

Dear DC Journal,

I have a question for those that have seen Holy Musical B@tman! Did you watch it on YouTube or do they still do live showings of it? How did y’all watch it? I’m asking for science.

(I’m looking at you @Jurisdiction and @biff_pow)

8 Likes

lol! it’s on YouTube! Team Starkid uploaded it by scenes, but another group uploaded the original show in full! The link is on the watch-a-long thread, if you’re interested!

8 Likes

Thank you! I sent a gif from it to my friend, and since she’s a fan of musicals, especially the campy ones, she said she’d be willing to watch it with me.

6 Likes

Happy to help!

6 Likes

yes @TheWifeOfJasonTodd i’m happy we were able to help so much! especially me!

6 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

the documentary about the canceled movie, Justice League Mortal, still hasn’t been released, but i learned that they have been releasing some of the concept art material they’ve collected

green lantern’s mom made his costume

9 Likes

Dear DC diary,

First off, and above all else, @moro deserves a ton of credit and Cool Points for creating this spiffy thread.

sends over oodles and freakin’ oodles of Cool Points moro’s way

Thank you, fellow collector. :superman_hv_4:

Onto brass tacks, DC diary!

cracks knuckles over keyboard

I’m at that period where I periodically reevaluate my pull list.

After careful consideration, I’m planning on moving the following titles from the “buy as they debut at retail” portion of my list, over to the “read as they come to DCUI/debut in trade” portion:

• Aquamen
  • Batgirls
  • Batman
  • Catwoman
  • Dark Knights of Steel
  • Deathstroke Inc.
  • Wonder Woman

The above titles are all fine and good, no doubt (especially Deathstroke Inc.).

However, with Dark Crisis looming on the horizon, I’m at a point where I want my current pull list to be as minimized as possible, so as to accommodate Dark Crisis and its tie-ins, along with my other essential new to retail reads, such as:

• The Superman line (World’s Finest will be the Book of the Year, guaranteed, so long as the reception to future issues is as overwhelmingly positive as it was for #1)

• Nightwing (without question, THE best book in the Batman line, right now)

• Flashpoint Beyond

• Danger Street (Black Label Book of the Year)

While its always a bummer to drop titles you enjoy, its also healthy to know when the time is right to drop something for a more important read, be it something current or forthcoming.

Also diary, since I hinted at titles that will be on the annual year-end Best Of lists, I’d like to nominate The War for Earth-3 for Crossover of the Year.

While it seemed to fly under most folks’ reading radars (and rainbows? LaForge might concur), The War for Earth-3 was easily the most fun crossover of March.

As the year progreses and the story comes to DCUI, I’m optimistic that The War for Earth-3 will find the audience it truly deserves.

Lastly journal, its Tuesday, which means its New DC Comics Day!
:partying_face: :fireworks: :champagne:

Whether you’re up for a brand-new to retail read or a new to DCUI read (or both, which is the best option :wink:), the important thing is that you discover something new and have fun with it! :superman_hv_4:

6 Likes

Thank you thank you. The Iceberg Lounge thread was the inspiration.

That’s a lot of books you’re dropping. I can understand though. Can’t read ‘em all. Surprised you’re dropping WW though. Only in for the crossover, eh? I just checked today’s new issues list, and there’s nothing that I’ll be grabbing. Hasn’t happened in a while.

7 Likes

Cool looking new avatar by the way? Who is it though?

Grumbles: Fix the blurry profile pics, DCUI. Been years.

5 Likes

You know, I’m considering dropping Trial of the Amazons where it is right now, and then reading it in full once the trade comes out (plus, I’d get all of the snazzy variants that way).

I’ll still pick-up TOTA: WG #2, because I must support My Girl (Yara Flor), and while its been an entertaining read so far (especially in cojunction with Women’s History Month this month), I can wait until its trade release for me to fully take the whole deal in.

Like Shreck said in Batman Returns, “Meanwhile, I’ve got bigger fish to fry.”

Mmmm…early morning fish fry.

drools, Homer-style

'Tis my favorite new character from what I’ve read of James Tynion IV’s run on Batman:

:sparkles: Miracle Molly :sparkles:

Specifically, its her from the cover of Batman #108 (my fav ish of Tynion’s run, because MM is wicked-rad).

Check out the mag in our library. You might like it, and if you’re like me, you’ll be jonesin’ for a Miracle Molly figure.

SN: The previous avatar was Poison Ivy, and from one of the variants of her upcoming mini.

Once I decided to trim my pull list down (including upcoming titles, of which Poison Ivy was one), I decided to switch my look to another badass Bat-lady.

SN 2: Ivy and Molly are the first Batman-related avatars I’ve had (along with Jim Lee’s Harley Quinn, which I briefly used before changing to Ivy, but it was such a brief use that I won’t count her among my avatars).

SN 3 (last one, swear): My only new comic pick-up for this week will be The War for Earth-3 #2.

There’s a new to DCUI ish of The Flash today (#774, I believe), so that’s my other new fish for the week.

3 Likes

I remember Miracle Molly. I read Tynion’s entire run, and while I didn’t like it all that much, she was one of few things I did like in the book. Nice pick!

4 Likes

Thank you, Bibbo. :+1:t2:

Speaking of MM, the one-shot that dives into her background is new to DCUI today. I’m going to check it out in just a tick.

Also, if Funko were to make a MM Pop, I would be all-in for it.

4 Likes

That bat suit looks like something I could see Pattinson wearing in the future.

(of course the photos like 240p but still)

5 Likes