Dear DC Diary

Is he electro-Batman or camo-Batman?

It’s hard to tell.

5 Likes

I just assumed it’s for when Batman needed to infiltrate a gang of criminal zebras. Or possibly referees.

5 Likes

It’s been done better.

4 Likes

They did. In the early 1990s the action figure scape was a completely different experience from what it is now. Back then Kenner was still sculpting off of their Star Wars figure approach (four articulation points, scant likeness to the IRL character). As a comics fan back then you didn’t have the same affinity for the figures as we do now. They were essentially toys geared towards the kiddo set. This was super for the little guys but when you’re in your teen years as a collector you were kinda’ hankering for something that was a bit more authentic and more grown up. Nobody at the LCS was buzzing about the latest in the Kenner/Galoob lines. It wasn’t until the late 90s/early 2000s when Diamond got the DC Direct stuff up and running that we got to see really solidy crafted figures that truly emobodied the look of our fave heroes. That’s why so many of us in the older Millenial/Gen X age group are big collectors now- the figures reflect the look that we could only wish for back then.

7 Likes

Flip a coin. You’ll be correct either way. :smile:

7 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

Today I started a cult.

5 Likes

I remember reading about Lord of the Rings figures being made and being so excited that something as niche as that would have figures. :stuck_out_tongue: I think they retailed for $100 or something when they were released. The kid in me is still happy every time I go to a comic store (or even Target honestly) and see all the amazing figures that are so easy to get now.

7 Likes

Same here. :smiley:

6 Likes

gilmoregirls-hugs

5 Likes

:purple_heart:

6 Likes

ominous chanting

Eggbaby. Eggbaby. Eggbaby. EGGBABY. EGGBABY. EGGBABY! E̴̡͔͚̟̲͙̐̽̓G̵̨̗͎͊̓̈́̀̋̉̋̏̾̈́̈́Ḡ̶̜͈̲̥̯ͅB̴̧̰̠̗͎̜͐̀͆A̴̤͎͕̝͎̬͓͕̟͓̾͐̅͝B̶̡̟͓̂͂͒͑̌͊͑̇͊͗̈́̏Ẏ̵̧̜̦̱̘̗͇̩͚̹̼̤̘

6 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

With evidence provided by @staticshocks, the DCUI community is now haunted and has a supernatural problem. Someone call John Constantine and protect Superman at all costs.

6 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

I also scroll through Pinterest (even though my wife makes fun of me for it) and run into DC memes and such:

(I love when cosplayers take pics like this. I mean, you’re already all dressed up so you just have to have fun with it!).

Classic newspaper funny:

One of my favorite fan art pics:

(Oooh, boy! You’re in trouble now!).

8 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

I have continued to be tormented by Eggbaby. He broke into my house, and replaced all of my eggs with threatening notes.

6 Likes

You’re hallucinating

5 Likes

That is mean. The guy has to celebrate Easter.

7 Likes

Very well said @DC89. What’s funny is the same adults that enjoy the collector quality stuff made today, also look back and buy the old “retro” stuff of yesteryear, to the point that manufacturers are making brand new lines in that style.

#guilty
#SuperPowers

6 Likes

I read more Justice Society

7 Likes

I read Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths

6 Likes

This is true.

Partly true. From 1990 to 1995, there were no Star Wars action figures on shelves until Kenner introduced Star Wars: The Power of the Force (aka Power of the Force 2) in late summer/early fall 1995.

They were 6 POA and at the time, that waist joint was a big deal. :wink:

For the sake of truth, Diamond didn’t have involvement with DC Direct, as far as product development and distribution went. That was all on DCD’s part.

Your overall point is accurate though, in that DCD product was sold through Diamond accounts.

Which, as a kiddo of that era, was great. I will forever fondly look back on that era as some of the best years of my 35 years (and counting) of action figure collecting.

I get that older audiences wanted something more accurate to the source material, which was perfectly fine.

As a kid though, I was quite happy with what Kenner (and Toy Biz before them) produced. It was lacking at times, but overall? Their product fueled my imagination and made me happy, so I can’t complain.

As for something appealing to the Gen-X crowd, Todd McFarlane heard that request and began his action figure revolution in 1994, a revolution that is still going to this day.

For such a supposed outsider, its ironic that McFarlane would get involved in DC merchandise.

In the end, DC keeps the lights on better than Spawn will, so he made a good choice.

This 1994 release…

…was clearly Conroy’s tribute to this Keaton piece from '92:

4 Likes