DCUI: What Do You Like About DC Universe Infinite? And What Would You Change?

I don’t think that DCUI focuses enough on building its archives. One of the biggest issues when it comes to the failure of the comic book industry is piracy. People are always looking to illegally access comics in order to get out of paying for an actual or digital copy. This would be a bad thing if it weren’t for the fact that such a large amount of DC comics are just missing from DCUI. In all of DCUI, there is only one issue of All-American comics and one issue of Flash Comics. In addition, there is a substantial amount of the 90s Superman comics that just are not on the website. I would understand this if there was some visible sight that DC was working on this, but we only receive 3 newly archived comics a week. The best way to counter piracy is through accessibility. Spending more time recovering old stories only helps the company.

9 Likes

Thanks double for the feedback, @ae12129 & @timmay_bird!

I’ll get that passed along. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Will we be notified if steps are being made toward requests?

4 Likes

As similarly touched upon by a member in another thread, users will not be directly notified if/when their feedback is taken into potential consideration. Any major changes to the website or its contents will be noted within the Watchtower category.

7 Likes

I would like a way to “follow” a title or storyline and have new releases for what I follow show up in a section of my home page so I know when new issues of books i want to read become available.

9 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! I’ve made note of it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s been said (including by me, I think) but worth repeating, it would be amazing to have the option to sort a custom list by publication date.

10 Likes

Could we get some more app icon options? We’ve got 20 right now, and that’s pretty good, but I’d just like to be able to change it up some more.

5 Likes

Wait? We can change that?

4 Likes

@IrregularMatt Thanks for the suggestion!

@HubCityQuestion More is better, eh? Thanks for the feedback!

@SaintBrodie I believe it’s only a feature on iOS

5 Likes

Yes!!! Please!!!

6 Likes

Thanks for throwing your support behind this request, @thelyght4! I’ve noted it on our list for the team. :+1:

5 Likes

DCUI is a fine tool for reading backlog issues of DC comics. However there’s two key issues, the 6th month delay between releases is a nightmare and the way the comics can sometimes be mixed up when reading.

I get wanting to avoid competing with yourself and all but there has to be some kind of middle ground. You guys already have subscriptions for physical prints to be mailed out to us, why not have an option to pay more for more recent issues, at least make it work like the physical print subscription system if you have to as an additional on top of Infinite.

That way those of us who want more recent issues can get them digital, and those who don’t care wouldn’t need to pay more anyway.

Also I find it really annoying to try and read a storyline because if there’s issues in the storyline from other series, instead of continuing in order it’ll just lock you into reading that other series. It’s especially annoying with stuff like Green Lantern: Rise of the Third Army because you’ll need to hop from series to series and continue to click back to the initial storyline just to keep up.

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to write in with your honest thoughts about the platform. I’ll go ahead and get your reviews documented. :+1:

3 Likes

Can we do something about the infamous black loading screens? This service has been out for years and I can’t believe there isn’t a way to fully cache the issue from the start. It’s not even the first page. It’s usually some random page in the middle of an issue. Sometimes it takes 5-10 seconds, sometimes it’s 30, and sometimes it won’t load at all unless I scroll back or forward a few pages (or restart the app). It really takes me out of the immersion of the story. I know it’s not my device (iPad Air 2022) and my internet is very fast. Please fix this. I shouldn’t be “buffering” while reading a comic book. Thanks!

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you’re running into some persistent loading trouble! I’ve noted your feedback about this issue for our team. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

4 Likes

Lists are pretty much unusable due to sorting.

On the website, there’s no automatic sort option at all. You can drag them manually into new positions, but even that is almost impossible to use because the icons are so large and date of publication doesn’t display inside a list. The default sort order is inverse order you added them.

On the android app, the sort options are A-Z and date added–no custom sort, no date of publication.

It would be great to be able to sort by publication date and have a custom order that is remembered across sessions and platforms. It would also be great to have all of the issues of any series added to a list appear in the list of issues to be sorted as well (optionally? I can definitely see some cases where you wouldn’t want that to happen), which does not appear to be a feature of the website (I don’t know about the app though).

4 Likes

The staggered release schedule for older books is frustrating, especially as there’s a whole thread of people posting suggestions for books to add and the stock response is “we’ll add that to the list!” At this pace, it’s going to take decades for missing titles, issues, or pieces of storylines to show up. Marvel just dropped 10 issues of Dazzler on MU this past week. What’s stopping DC from making somebody’s day and putting up, say, the rest of Captain Carrot all at once?

Speaking of the digital request thread, I know you can’t make any promises as to what will be released on DCUI, but can we get a little more transparency when it comes to books that will likely never be released? We’re probably not going to see Star Trek licensed books, or issues of Green Lantern written by a horrible person. Just say so, it’s okay!

4 Likes

Yep.

Money.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @darklyndsea.73150! This is all great feedback, I’ll be sure to note it down.

@IrregularMatt First of all I’d like to thank you for stopping by and sharing your feedback. I understand many people are watching and waiting for older comics to be added to the service, but the best the moderators can do is add the suggestion to our list so that the team that actually handles the digitization of comics can use it.

While there’s a lot that goes into something like this, a big factor is actual human-power. The archive team is small and can only do so much.

Personally, I like to never say never… you never know what might change in the future to make certain comics more likely to be added to the service. So, we do our best to note down what the community wants and allow the team to do their magic.

If you’d like to take an inside look into what our Archivist Benjamin Le Clear does and how the process works, you can learn more here → Live Q&A with Benjamin Le Clear, Official DC Archivist, Wednesday January 27th @2pm PT/5pm ET!

I hope this helps to alleviate at least some of your frustrations regarding the issues you mentioned. I’ll be sure to note your thoughts and feelings on the subject :slight_smile:

6 Likes