DCUI: What Do You Like About DC Universe Infinite? And What Would You Change?

I’ve asked for this feature like once or twice a year since the service started. Now that its comics only it is the biggest missing feature imo.

6 Likes

Hey everyone. How about improving search functionality? Maybe we can index more data on comics so that when I search for tom king i don’t have to deal with a bunch of aquaman comics mentioning king Arthur. Being able to searvh by field (author, artist, etc.) Would already be a good start.

7 Likes

Understandable. I’ll get that passed along. :+1:

5 Likes

On the Android app, comics with extra-long titles do not display the issue numbers, making it difficult to tell what issue you’re looking at. For example, I was trying to find a specific issue of Who’s Who, and the only way that I found what I was looking for without checking each and every issue was by luckily spotting the character that I was looking for on the cover.

Hopefully this can be changed in a future update, so that all series always display issue numbers on both the series page and the issue page. Thank you.

9 Likes

That’s a great callout! Thank you, I’ll be sure to jot that down :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m sure it’s already been mentioned, but I wouldn’t hate a windows app/reader. I use my surface tablet to read comics, and I have to use the browser, which is… not ideal. But I cope.

However, my biggest pain point (which I’m sure has ALSO been mentioned in 500 posts), which is shared with the android app, is that when I’m looking at an individual issue, there’s no “Previous Issue/Preceded By” and “Next Issue/Followed By” button or link - only an “In This Series” section which has a somewhat random selection and may or may not include the previous and next issue.

It’s frustrating when I have a good idea about when a particular storyline occurs, but I miss the starting issue by one or two, and have to initiate a whole new search to try to find it.

It would also be nice if there were an indication of a particular issue’s location in either an internal storyarc (like, say, “The Human Race” from Wally!Flash) or in a crossover (Like “Three of a Kind” in Green Lantern, Flash and Green Arrow in 1998 etc), especially since a fair amount of that data already exists if you read a particular crossover via the Storylines route.

It’s a big, shared universe and it would be nice to see that reflected in the online reader app. Especially since one of the big value propositions is that I don’t have to dig through my long boxes to find the next issue in a series in the first place. It seems to me that most of the data already exists and so it doesn’t seem to be a big lift to implement a pair of navigation buttons for “Previous/Next in Series” and “Previous/Next in Story.”

I’m trying to catch up on some major recent storyarcs and crossovers and it is annoying to have to back out and run whole searches for the next tie-in or prelude or whatever if they’re not already included in the storyline grouping in the DCUI app.

Please make this happen. This seems like such a simple add and should have been included in the first UX iteration of an app whose sole intention is to provide access to serialized storytelling! It’s been almost a year since the launch and I’m honestly kind of gobsmacked that this feature is still missing.

7 Likes

Image included for reference. I want to go to Flash (2016-) #761, but I have to now conduct a new search for it. :confused: Very frustrating.

(Also, it wouldn’t suck to have the indicia data in the data box - “The Flash 762. Late November 2020” since the release date is not the cover date, and some folks might want to search by cover date)

I wouldn’t hate an advanced search option either, that would let you search specifically for a particular writer or penciller or character appearance or choose the volume of a particular title, etc. Some of this should already be populated fields in your database. I understand that not all will be there already. And it can’t possibly be comprehensive, especially when you have guest appearances of a character in someone else’s book without it being a particular cross-over or something, but still.

Many folks in your target audience are very nerdy about this stuff and would really appreciate having some of these features, especially ones that would be useful to new comics readers to help grow the readership, instead of it feeling like a Minimum Viable Product just to placate the nerds while real money and resources are sent to HBO Max.

Rant addendum over, thank you for your patience.

8 Likes

how do you change your user image

5 Likes

Hi there! Welcome to the community – and great first question!

Here’s how to get started:

1. If you’re using the website, go to the DC UNIVERSE INFINITE tab, click on your icon there, and then click “My DC”.

1. On your DC profile page, click the pencil icon.

From there, you’ll be able to edit your profile picture, header image, and username. :slight_smile: (Note that it may take some time for your profile picture to update in the community; you can bypass the wait time by logging out and logging back in after you change your picture).

This is relatively the same if you’re using the app – there’s a “My DC” tab on the bottom of the screen, second to the far right. You can navigate there and the functions are the same.

Hope this helps! Feel free to shoot us a DM if you have any other questions about setting up your account, or about the community in general. :+1:

6 Likes

When reading comics in a web browser (I’m not sure if it is different on iOS or Android), the background is either black or white. Unfortunately, the overlay that tells you what page you’re on is always white and therefore nearly invisible when the background is white.
:sparkles: Black background:

:sparkles: White background:

I would recommend that the overlay should always contrast with the background.

5 Likes

That’s a very good point. As far as iOS goes, the overlay is black text on a white margin on the top of the reader. I can see how the transparency of the page numbers through the website can be pretty hard to differentiate from the background in fullscreen mode, so it would be helpful indeed if it were a different color.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll get it passed along. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There are a large number of one-shot seasonal specials. Many of them are collected into series:
:sparkles: DC Holiday Special (16 issues)
:sparkles: DCU Halloween Special (4 issues)
But many are not:
:sparkles: DC Rebirth Holiday Special
:sparkles: DC Nuclear Winter Holiday Special
:sparkles: DC’s Crimes of Passion (Valentine’s Day)
:sparkles: Young Monsters in Love (Valentine’s Day)
:sparkles: Young Romance: The New 52 Special (Valentine’s Day)
:sparkles: New Year’s Evil
:sparkles: Secrets of Sinister House (Halloween)
:sparkles: Cursed Comics Cavalcade (Halloween)
:sparkles: Harley Quinn & the Suicide Squad April Fool’s Special
:sparkles: DC Beach Blanket Bad Guys Summer Special
:sparkles: Dog Days of Summer
:sparkles: DC Cybernetic Summer
…more…?

So could there be some kind of coherent organization for these seasonal one-shots? Either all collected into the “DC Holiday Special” series or broken out into Winter, Fall, Spring, and Summer series?

5 Likes

That would be cool! It looks like an assorted bunch come up in both the Comic Books/Comic Series sections through that search, but definitely not all of them, so I think that is a great idea.

I’ll get it noted! :smile:

6 Likes

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but the ability to remove finished comics from my Currently Reading would be supreme.

8 Likes

Thank you for the feedback @james.champion83 - I will get this noted for the team. :slight_smile:

Welcome back to the community as well! :partying_face: Please feel free to let the moderator team know if you need anything.

7 Likes

I’m kind of on that same line of thought. I just wish there was a way to restart a comic w/o having to scroll backwards thru every page. Just a button u push that takes u to the beginning. Cuz I do like to know what I’ve read. So, if any way that it could still keep it logged as already read; but, hit button to take u to the 1st page? 1st thing I’ve ever suggested. I just kept forgetting :joy: meant to ask that years ago….

7 Likes

People can join Community
Without paying for DCUI

Noticed
Several free books

3 Batman
Catwoman
Penguin
Riddler
Peacemaker
Flashpoint

I don’t see that mentioned here

Topic and Banner on this?

4 Likes

Patience, patience. There’s a reason and rhyme for it coming soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The best part for sure!

5 Likes

How about moving the 5 “Get To Know _______” from the Showcase section to the Get To Know section? This is pretty minor in the grand scheme, but I also hope it is pretty simple.
I love this service, so if that is my biggest issue, you are doing pretty good.

3 Likes