DCU Superman Book Club Week 8: Panic in the Sky!

@Aquamon Truthfully, there’s no real time limit for any week of my BC as far as discussing highlighted material goes. You can comment whenever you want.

As for Discord, I stopped using it because it started to distract me a great deal while I was working, so I did away with it.

I work by deadlines, so the fewer distractions (even one as fun as Discord) the better.

2 Likes

I understand about the distraction and may become a ghost on here myself. I have a loaded semester starting next week and as much as I love this community I feel trying to keep up with WaL, BC, and the like will not be possible. ( will pop in to make jokes of course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Finished the main part of the story today, epilogue to go. But, Brainiac could have won if he Bluetooth.

2 Likes

Panic in the Sky is a great run of triangle Supes. The story has time to develop characters, particularly Maxima, Matrix/Supergirl and Draaga. There are the out of context strange elements for some characters like Lex (Hey, mate), Deathstroke (Superman to Slate, Hey, good buddy let’s partner up) and Brainiac (I think he twirled his mustache in one issue) but 2 out of 3 of these actually improve the story by giving it something different.

1 Like

I always wanted to read this. Somehow I missed it back in the day.

2 Likes

Just finished this story. In terms of other Triangle era books, I had previously read the Death/Reign/Return era of the books, but of it, I think I like Panic in the Sky more – it’s pretty huge in scale in both characters and stakes in a way that’s far more condensed and compelling, IMO. Reading it now gave me a Captain America: Civil War vibe, where that almost felt more like Avengers 2.5.

But with Civil War, what made it work was that while they balanced the characters enough where Captain America was still the star, I don’t think this story does. If I were I editing this, I would have probably suggested cutting at least a third of the team. Like, why have Guy Gardner AND Kilowag on the team? What’s the point of having all these New Gods characters if they’re jobbed around at the beginning and don’t matter for much outside of the end (side note, I’m pretty sure they completely forgot that the Forever People/Infinity Man was there). To me, the hook of this story is to see Superman lead this group, some good, some not-so-good, on a mission to protect the Earth, but Superman himself kind of feels like background fodder after a while.

Another thing that bothered me in the end – so Dregga and Maxima work with Brainiac for their own reasons. Dregga decides “nah this is whack,” fights with the team for like five minutes and then dies, everyone is all “boo-hoo.” Then Maxima decides this is whack too, she tries to join, and everyone is like “no, we can’t trust you!” Like you would have trust Dregga at any time before that? At least Maxima had semi-reasonable reason to join, to protect her people; Dregga’s only there to kill Superman because his fragile masculinity – sorry, I mean sense of honor – was messed with. I dunno, maybe I should read more of the stories where Maxima first appeared, but it just didn’t feel right to me.

Still, overall a pretty good story – reading this I had an idea in my head of how this could make an awesome Superman movie. Maybe not a Man of Steel 2, but perfect for a Man of Steel 3. Sigh, a man can dream…

1 Like

@Aquamon To quote Bruce from Family Guy: “Oh no!”, say it ain’t so. Tell me what needs to be done to butter you up to stick around more in this gold-foiled, Land O’ Lakes community o’ ours.

Other than “add more time to the day”, because I can’t do that.

@msgtv Agreed on PITS being a hallmark of the Triangle Era. It’s just pure fun.

@Jay_Kay A PITS movie would be great! Did you catch the PITS episode of JLU yet? It and the episode that follows are a decent TV adaptation of the story.

1 Like

@trustymutsi There’s plenty of time to jump in for the reading and watching merriment. No need to… panic :wink:

1 Like

Last thought in the comics. When it finished I really wanted Maxima on a team of former villains now undercover heroes. Maxima, Killer Frost, Harley…maybe a hero who fakes turning bad. Could be wrong, but don’t think I’ve seen that before

2 Likes

That kind of reminds me of the very first iteration of Marvel’s Thunderbolts back in the 90s.

2 Likes

In the JLU episodes, not much to do with the comics, but a great two parter. I really like how the show gives everyone their moment, like Wally speeding the poo out of Brainilex. One of the original joys of this show was introducing my kids to a deep dive on DC characters.

1 Like

For some reason this is taking me a long time to read and I’m pretty sure I read this when it came out, but Grandpa does love himself a little space Opera plus Roger Stern, one of the writers, is a acquaintance out here in the Ithaca New York area…so I’ll slowly play the tunes here.

2 Likes

I’d read more, but Man of Steel says Superman 65 isn’t on sale til next week, lol

3 Likes

@msgtv The JLU story was more of a very, very loose adaptation of the comic story, but I agree it is a great two-parter.

I think Flash stole the show. Green Arrow too, for when he publicly calls out Superman in front of the crowds of heroes on the fact that a Justice League will always exist, with or without its founders.

@Don-El Make sure you get to your comic store when it opens for Superman #65. It’s only ten issues away from #75, and there’s talk that something BIG is going to happen in that one :wink:

2 Likes

Hey folks. Late to the party on this one, but I guess that’s better then never. Just finished reading this. My third run from the triangle era, with first two being Death & Return and Superman Blue/Red. Some thoughts:

• I like Superman in space, an epic setting that suits the epic character.

• Nice to see Superman be a leader. He has somewhat of an authoritative voice here, and keeps the group in check.

• The dual team setup made for a fun read. I can almost see this story making a solid movie.

• Story was good, but could have probably made good use of an extra issue or two, to better develop the character arcs.

• Guy Gardner is annoying.

• Mustache twirling Braniac is an interesting take on the villain. I always took him to be a being of pure logic with little emotion, but these older stories show something a bit different. I see an influence here on the show Krypton. We frequently see him smile in a villainous manner on that show and control others’ minds.

3 Likes

Moro like how you tied this Brainiac to Krypton’s. I guess some emotions are good, just not as much as in these issues.

3 Likes

@moro Welcome! I too love stories where Superman is off-planet. They add to his versatility.

There’s no such thing as late in the Superman Book Club. Feel free to comment on other selections as you like.