DCU Superman Book Club Week 7: Kryptonite

@msgtv Agreed on Dana Delany playing Lois in a live action capacity.

Maybe she’ll pop-up during the CW Crisis? I’m sure we’ll get other cameos that won’t be publicly known until the episodes air, maybe she’ll be one of them.

LBJJRM9L_400x400.jpg

2 Likes

Titans,Krypton,Swamp Thing, or Doom Patrol. Witch is better.

Titans,Krypton,Swamp Thing, or Doom Patrol. Witch is better.

I vote Krypton. Not simply because it’s Superman related, but much, much more so because of the writing, acting, production design, costume design, the music, cinematography and the overall scale of the show.

As usual, I’m just auditing this course… but I am into the second issue. I can’t say how pleased I am to see that there is a comic series that both Cooke and Sale were on, two of my favorite unique voices out there on one comic book. The coloriat Dave Stewart also really packs a punch, just like he did with Cooke’s drawings on New Frontier.

Just wanted to jot a quick note… there’s a scene where Superman talks about missing a date with Lois Lane because of the kids that are threatened by the volcano in issue 2. This brings up an interesting version of Superman that’s been out there once or twice, where he suddenly realizes he really can be Superman 100% of the time; he doesn’t need to sleep or eat like the rest of us and he certainly doesn’t need a secret identity if he really is all that altruistic.

Just an interesting concept. I realize therevare psychological reasons he remains Clark.

But in the story lines where he’s just Superman, that’s a whole other world that I really wish somebody would explore more… You know other than the Injustice version…

1 Like

Community 2.0 appear and give me spell check quick

1 Like

@Don-El Not needing the secret identity reminds of The Death of Clark Kent arc from the 90’s.

Thanks for the audit =)

2 Likes

Cartoon Time!

So I love these shorts and I really wish DC would give us a show or movie in this style. Max Fleischer didn’t even want to do them when Paramount approached him and he threw a crazy price of $100,000 for each short, which was an unheard of amount for back then. They talked him down to around half and we got some of the best Superman cartoons that have ever been made! These shorts are also partly responsible for giving Superman his power of flight! This one titled Volcano is a great example of why I don’t like Lois LOL. stealing his press pass to get a one up on him :(. It was also one of the last eps. to be made by Fleischer and his crew. After the 9th short he left and it became Famous Studios. Fleischer’s run was more science fiction (which I like much more) and the last 9 or so were more geared towards WWII propaganda. The take over by Famous Studios was also noted with the typical catch phrase “Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!” with a slight change of the last line in a couple shorts to “Able to soar higher than any plane!” being changed to “Faster than a streak of lightning! More powerful than the pounding surf! Mightier than a roaring hurricane!” I was not a fan of this version an often call it the Propaganda Phase.
I still like them just not as much as the first 9. I do love the 16th eps. The Underground World though.

-Superman: The Animated Series, season 1 episode 5: “A Little Piece of Home” is great I love that show. S2 Eps. 9 “Action Figures” would also have been a good choice for this one and dare I say better Vroom :slight_smile: it s the one with Metallo and the way he adverts the Lava from the Volcano is just like how he tries to in Superman Confidential #2.

2 Likes

@Vroom. Also did you have any issues reading these comics? its not a big deal but on some pages the panel would go from top to bottom then middle then back to bottom. I have come across this a few times with comics on here. Just not a big enough problem to write to them about but I am curious if you had these issues as well.

1 Like

@Aquamon “Action Figures” would certainly be a good episode for a Metallo themed week :wink:

I didn’t have any technical issues with these books. Sorry to hear that you did. Hopefully it was just some random glitch that went away.

2 Likes

Maybe it was a jealous brainiac

2 Likes

@Don-El Uncle Milty would play that card, wouldn’t he?

What he should do is buzz off the facial hair.

2 Likes

I’ve never felt so much pain from fill in issues …there I was, breezin along about to go to issue 6… and all the sudden it’s not the story bwaaaaa…yeah, I see your advisory to jump to ish 11…

‘what a revoltin’ development!"

1 Like

Day late, dollar short reporting here (have I ever mentioned that whilst in college in the mid-70s, newly-married to boot, it was not uncommon for me to owe assignments past their due date and be turning in papers after the holidays per the professors’ leniencies?)…

Wonderful read, writing, art, color all larger than life. This aside during the story I found particularly revealing concerning the power and inner child of Superman:

1 Like