DCU Superman Book Club Week 6: Steel, The Forging of a Hero!

Finished the run. On the plus side, I like the idea of a black superhero in Washington DC. You can have the neighborhood dynamic of families that live and work there, issues dealing with wealth/poverty, crime, drugs,etc. you can also bring in the political/military/corporate intrigue. That’s about it. Great character but this run didn’t really do it for me.

1 Like

@msgtv How would you rate the comic version of Steel to his DCAU counterpart?

I’ve been found out, was going to watch last night but I recently started Animated Supes and my next episode was Main Man Pt 1, so I enjoyed Brad Garrett tear it up as Lobo, great episode. Will watch tonight.

1 Like

Was that a stealth Bibbo episode? Garrett killed that one too. I really like this series, and this is very good episode. If you aren’t going to do death/reign this is a good origin, Dorn/Worf is great in the role. Also, Dr. Henry’s Iron Works to me is one of the unique necessary elements of the character that was missing from the first arc of the comic series.

1 Like

Watched the STAS eps. yesterday and read the first 2 in the Steel run. The eps. was not bad, not my favorite from that season. I have not read the Steel comics before and am interested to see how things turn out. I hope nothing bad happens to his nephew. Living half of my childhood in Saginaw which is very ghetto (often in the top 5 murder per capita when I lived there.) I have known may people who feel as he does about being trapped in that kind of life or that its the only option they have. My favorite appearances of him have been in JLU.

1 Like

Sorry Vroom I’m dragging this week. Been sick for the last 3 days.

1 Like

@msgtv It’s hard to not watch The Main Man, its such a great episode. I think my favorite line of Lobo’s comes after he skins the creature that attacked him and Superman. “Belt?”. Simple, to the point and funny.

@Aquamon No problemo man. You kick that cold’s ass Superman-style! Want some digital chicken soup?

1 Like

:slight_smile: yes please. Also the eps. after that “Warrior Queen” is so good! I forgot about that eps. Maxima was great and super funny!

1 Like

pours a bowl of digital chicken soup

IDK if you like crackers in your soup, but they’re there if you want :slight_smile:

Warrior Queen is so fun! I watched it again last night. Sharon Lawrence played Maxima to perfection.

I also liked the nosy old lady who kept watching Superman and Maxima, and her husband’s non-chalant responses.

Ending that episode with Lobo was the Czarnian cherry on top. You just can’t go wrong with The Main Man.

1 Like

Thank you for the soup good sir. Yes that old lady was great also. I thought there was going to be a dirty joke when she mentioned that she was tying him up LOL. Lobo is always great and I loved her reaction to him at the end.

1 Like

@Aquamon Hilary J. Bader wrote Warrior Queen. She wrote episodes of The New Batman Adventures and Batman Beyond too. She’s written DCAU comics too.

I also liked the music in WQ, especially what the episode opens with.

BTW, the guy that tried to overthrow Maxima was played by Miguel Ferrer (son of actor Jose Ferrer). He also played Weather Wizard in the Speed Demons episode of STAS, assorted roles in other animated DC productions as well as OCP executive Bob Jones in the first Robocop movie, which also starred Kurtwood Smith as villain Clarence Bodicker. Kurtwood Smith also has a lengthy list of DC credits.

1 Like

Oh nice I didn’t know that. Yeah Miguel Ferrer is iconic.

1 Like

@Aquamon I love to rattle off all manner of trivia when it applies, so please LMK if I yammer too much.

How’s the soup?

1 Like

Oh no man I quite enjoy the info I love learning new things about DC related stuff. Besides just talking with y’all its been my favorite thing about this Superman group. :slight_smile:

the soups ok, I’ve had better. I feel like you just microwaved it instead of throwing it on the stove for me LOL. But just because you made it I will take you off the list.

giphy.gif

1 Like

@Aquamon Thanks Steve! Don’t put on the lipstick though. However, rekaxing on the couch is fine :smiley:

1 Like

relaxing

1 Like

“Is this your first time reading the Steel ongoing series?”

Yep, and overall I enjoyed it. I have to admit I wasn’t too into it at first, because at the start it felt more formulaic, kind of the standard story of POC heroes around this time: hero returns to his home town, it’s riddled with gangs and corruption, a younger member of the family is part of the gang, there’s the strong matriarchal grandmother, and so on and so forth. But as I continued reading through it, I started to get more into the characters around it and while it feels like a similar story, it’s still rather well told. I especially liked the story that Jemal went through (though I have to admit his nickname of Jem kept throwing me off because I was expecting the Holograms to show up any minute), and the conflict he had with John, as well as the serious question about whether he really was flaunting himself above the law.

“How do you rate the comic book rendition of Steel to his STAS/DCAU counterpart?”

I think both are pretty similar in most ways, the big difference between the two being more the source of inspiration. Both have the Superman inspiration of how they go about being a hero, but the comic version is more haunted by his weapon making past, as it’s his main reason for being a hero, whereas the cartoon version is more the standard “helping out my community because I can.” It works for a character who’s going to be more of a side character, but I think the comic motivation is overall much stronger and compelling.

As an aside, it’s funny how two weeks in a row our other media both featured Metallo as the villain.

“Steel has appeared in a variety of entertainment media (comics, movies, TV, video games, etc). Do you have a favorite rendition of this forged in fire freedom fighter?”

The version I’ve read the most of is probably the New 52 take, which I enjoyed, especially with how he was integrated with Superman’s origins from the start. I also really liked the version seen in DC: The New Frontier, a very strong take, though probably the most tragic.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay Good points all around good sir.

That’s funny about Metallo. I guess I’m just manic about Malcolm Dowell’s mighty metal portrayal of him.

I tend to like the comic Steel over the DCAU version by a large degree, but that version is of course substantially more developed and has more to offer.

My favorite non-comic version of Steel is of course the live action movie. Shaq Attack!

No, not really. My favorite non-comic versions of Steel are from the DCAU and the Reign of the Supermen movie.

Apologies to Dr. Tolian Soran, I meant Malcolm McDowell, not “Dowell”.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, the S:TAS take on Metallo is definitely the best for that character.

I forgot about the Reign of the Supermen version, that was pretty good too.