DCU Superman Book Club Week 4: Happy 60th Anniversary Supergirl!

On the road for work this week, kinda pooped out at the end of the day so really just started digging into this last night. I had watched the Superman Animated shows last fall when the app had them listed as Thanksgiving episodes. A slightly different take on Kara’s origins but she immediately feels like Supergirl. They also trusted the show enough to go with an extended flying just for fun scene.
The comics were nicely done. My kids where the right age for them at the time and I remember them digging into whatever show based comics where available. Sorry the market doesn’t seem to support that now it was a good way to get them to read and enjoy DC.

1 Like

And finally, Supergirl (1996) 75-80

Peter David is a very very smart guy! I still have I believe most or all of his X-Factor run that featured Multiple Man, Strong Guy, Wolfsbane etc. He also wrote Spiderman 2099 around this same time, one of the few gems of that whole 2099 world.

So, I’m not surprised at the ingenious way he plucks Kara from the time stream just prior to sacrificing herself for this storyline. The usual “Star Trek” type time paradoxes then unravel for us.

Thanks again Vroom for keeping the Superman Book Club going!

1 Like

Oh yeah, that reminds me – I was really surprised to see Bret Blevens on Superman Adventures! I think he might be second only to Bill Sienkiewicz as one of the most definitive New Mutants artists (even if his run is stained a little by the existence of Bird Brain). I’d almost prefer if he was able to draw it in his own style instead of just aping Bruce Timm’s.

1 Like

Aw Birdbrain is classic cutie pie Bevins!

Blevins…oppsie

Thanks for the great discussion folks!

Be sure to look out for Week 5 later today. It’ll be a corker!

4 Likes