DCU Superman Book Club Week 14: World's Finest

@msgtv Speaking of mssrs Loeb, McGuinness and Superman, have you read their work on Superman/Batman?

If not, I’d say it’s time you begun :wink:

1 Like

Steve Rude is the standout here. The story of the Gibbons miniseries was not all that interesting. The Loeb/Rucka crossover story was a bit better, but it didn’t have Rude’s art to elevate it. And I’ve never liked the STAS/TNBA crossover three-parter. Back to the Silver Age for me, I guess.

1 Like

@AlexanderKnox Why no love for the World’s Finest episode of STAS?

I don’t have much love for STAS, period. I can’t stand its characterization of Superman. I’m also no fan of the art style for TNBA.

World’s Finest was pretty good. The story with the orphanage felt kind of convoluted and an odd hook for the story. The timeline was also…weird. Like it feels like an early years story, but we have Barbara in the wheelchair?

Still, the interactions between the hero and villain team-ups are pretty good, and the art is just GORGEOUS. It feels like Mike Fletcher started doing comics.

1 Like

The way that Rude drew their costumes made it feel like an early years story, but it was certainly set in the year of its release. Granted, one wonders why Batman and Superman never discuss the Joker’s recent murder of a certain Boy Wonder.

Ooooh, okay, that makes a lot more sense. I was kind of wondering why there wasn’t any mention of a Robin or anything, and that does probably jive with around the time that Luthor had his robot hand.

It also explains why Joker is allowed to walk free and own businesses and such, because of the whole diplomatic immunity thing from Death in the Family, which…I’m gonna be real here, that is one of if not THE most dumbest thing anyone has done with The Joker. It literally makes no sense other than the writer wanting to show how topical he is.

1 Like