DCU Originals Moving to HBO Max

Honestly I just hope that DC Universe continues as a comic book streaming service.

4 Likes

Well Iā€™m done not going to pay 80 dollars a year just for comics time to cancel it before itā€™s get renewed

2 Likes

Probably stupid to hope this, but if there was a price reduction for the comics streaming, I would absolutely want to keep this. Iā€™ve read a bunch.

2 Likes

I donā€™t really care if DCU stays the same price or not, if it keeps the mods employed Iā€™ll pay it. I was thinking about this during Applejackā€™s office hours all-nighter (one of many!) when she was talking about the annual subscribers and getting discounts, etc. I donā€™t want a discount if it means DCU gets less money = less of a reason to keep this platform.

1 Like

Thatā€™s admirable and I donā€™t mean any disrespect to any mods/DCU staff, but Iā€™m not really in a position to pay Warner Bros. the same amount of money for less or an inferior product.

2 Likes

I completely understand that and would have the same opinion under different circumstances. They could very easily make it cost zero dollars by shutting down completely. Not saying anyone is doing anything wrong at all by asking for a lower price. Just trying to keep it in perspective for myself.

1 Like

This bums me out, as I donā€™t want to subscribe to HBO Max. I did the free trial and I really wasnā€™t impressed with it. I guess I could get a subscription if and when the third season of Doom Patrol comes out and then cancel it.

2 Likes

I admit it is a little bit of a bummer but think I was mostly using the service for the comics anyway since I wanted a complementary service for DC that I already have for MCU so I am happy the comics ( and the community here ) are staying. Wouldnā€™t mind if they lowered the price now like others have mentioned

I also have to admit ( donā€™t judge me here :slight_smile: ) that I just started watching Doom Patrol. Just been so busy with other stuff. If they do indeed move it off to HBO Max then I will probably either subscribe to HBO Max ( probably will anyway eventually ) or buy the physical seasons on blu-ray. Doom Patrol Blu-Ray season 1 is $14.99 on Amazon

I remember seeing that DCU subscribers get a discount on HBO Max but does that apply to annual members?

The potential removal of DCU Originals still leaves a huge number of comics and a backlog of older DC-related TV series - most of which are exclusives - on the service, so claiming that it is in its ā€œdeath throesā€ is ā€˜jumping the gunā€™, particularly since specific details about the serviceā€™s future have not yet been announced.

1 Like

Good. Maybe DC can now make this app better for just comics like Marvel Unlimited. :grinning:

lol Marvel charges more and itā€™s just comics. So goodbye. :rofl: The current DC price is fine even with just comics.

I was spending easily $80+ at my LCS every couple weeks before DC Universe. $80 a year for 20,000+ comics is amazing compared to the price of buying 20 floppies at $4 a pop. Now Iā€™ve cut my LCS purchases down to $20-$40 a month. Assuming this becomes comics only, Iā€™ll spend whatever they want from me to keep having access to the comics backlog.

2 Likes

The dc universe app is really fun even without video content i would love to do watch alongs with HBOMAX

1 Like

Even if it turns into comic only im cool with it not knowing what the future holds nice to have comics on my phone to read anytime

1 Like

Why did I pay for a full year subscription if DC is moving all of itā€™s original content to HBO Max? Anyone care to adress that?

8 Likes

With Covid around itā€™s very unlikely thereā€™s going to be much, if any new content for the next eight or nine months. Maybe animated stuff, but filming for season 3 of Titans and Doom Patrol havenā€™t even started yet. Itā€™s highly unlikely there will be any new live content before April or May of 2021. Knowing that, I hope youā€™re okay with the comics. Sorry, man.

1 Like

Anyone upset with the changes going on Weā€™re loosing a lot of comics and tv shows. Times are getting hard and gonna be worse without my DC Universe

2 Likes

You lose series, they start up new series. It happens. And itā€™s not like theyā€™ve shutdown tv series, theyā€™ve just moved them to where theyā€™ll get the attention they deserve. Itā€™s gonna be alright.

3 Likes

Jim Lee made it clear theyā€™re only cutting the bottom 20%-25% selling titles.

3 Likes

This is my concern as well. If these shows will be on both HBO Max and DC Universe, Iā€™d be fine with that. Iā€™m already paying for several streaming services, and I just donā€™t have the budget for both HBO Max and DC Universe.

6 Likes