DCU or DCUI

lmfao!!! you’re owl-woman!

Nailed it! @MatthewHecht she’s an original character, no fighting necessary lol

2 Likes

That’s great feedback @KookieSuperApe! Feedback that we greatly value and appreciate - I will be sharing this with the team because it deserves that recognition. Thank you and keep up the wonderful work. We really are lucky to have you in the community :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I can’t pretend I don’t miss the shows, especially since a lot of them have for whatever reason still not made the jump to HBO Max, so they’re just gone. Legion of Super-Heroes, Adventures of Superman, The New Adventures of Superman, Shazam, Lois & Clark I believe, etc. etc. But that isn’t a problem on DCUI’s end.

Honestly in my experience, it’s hard to compare DCU and DCUI in terms of comic reading experience for one reason: I used to read comics on the Roku app pretty much exclusively. I had to buy a whole tablet to keep even using the service after Roku support dropped!

Because I really only started using the android app very shortly before the transition, I can’t really compare the DCU vs DCUI apps meaningfully. The Roku app was real buggy, and the android app seems to run a lot a smoother (it has never once crashed my whole tablet, whereas the Roku definitely crashed all the time). But I still miss the TV screen experience quite a bit. I thought I might be able to screen cast the tablet to another device and see it on the TV that way, but apparently that is not the case. On tablet, I’m also more likely to get distracted by some or another website, so my sustained reading time is still a lot less than it used to be… darn!

Regarding the number of comics added to DCUI, I’m sure there’s a lot. The addition of Milestone titles (albeit at a snail’s pace) and Vertigo titles (in the preferable big chunks) is definitely great. I do wish there was more comprehensive WildStorm coverage. But my biggest predilection is for classic DC comics, and while there’s a lot to be read, the holes in the archives have not started closing as quickly as I had hoped.

Even the big titles like Superman and Batman have huge gaps in their publication history during the Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, well into the 80s… and more obscure titles obviously are hit even worse. Not sure if this is still the case, but last time I checked a month or two ago, there was still only one issue of the Golden Age “Flash Comics”. I basically subscribed to DCU in the first place about 60% on the alleged strength of those archives, so it’s one of life’s little disappointments every time I go looking for something and it’s not there.

Still, I really enjoy the service overall obviously.

3 Likes

At first, I was very skeptical about DCUI, but now I’m a big fan. I like it a lot more than DCU now.

I think it’s more organised and the comics are easier to find.

2 Likes

DCU…I don’t like the new acronym

Doesn’t roll of the tongue well. I get they wanted a rebrand/fresh start and likely felt it would help with any confusion but I mean come on now, you’re worried fans of DC might get confused? Have these folks tried following their own canon?

If they wanted it to be slick like MouseTrap +
Should have gone with DCU and used the infinity symbol or heck just drop the U and have the D & C letters as part of the Infinity symbol curves.

or hell give the Mouse a slap and when they rolled out the new logo have it be just the DC and then have a + symbol at the end appear for a sec then have the plus symbol get a extra vertical line and be a H and call it DC Home. IDK DCUI sucks, They know it does.

3 Likes

:joy:

Gave me a good chuckle Aqua. I think the original post was asking which version of the service do you like better, not the acronym itself. Still though… I will be thinking about the DC and Disney logos slapping each other for the rest of the day :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl:

Didn’t bother to read all the post, just saw DCU or DCUI.

1 Like

On the service side of things.

Get your ■■■■ together DC, stop with the half measures. Could have had something truly special if y’all had had the balls to stick to your guns.

1 Like

DCU by a mile. The comic reader does seem less glitchy, which is good, but the community feels dead now, and it’s undoubtedly because DCUI is just a comics service.

3 Likes

That first year of DCU Community was something special. There was less of us, but average user engagement feels like it was better than it is now.

4 Likes

I generally feel that the moderation team is now more engaged than the actual users. They’re making posts all the time to spark conversation.

4 Likes

Tied again.

1 Like

On the plus side, the boards aren’t flooded with posts like “Why isn’t everything on here??” and “I see DC Universe going under because of [insert half-baked reason here]” I’ll take fewer people talking comics than these crack pots any day.

5 Likes

Why isn’t everything on here? I want to read Batman #568,954,328,869,159.

I see DC Universe going under because of the fact my dog looks tired, and that only happens when websites shut down.

5 Likes

Touche lol

2 Likes

Gonna have to go with Infinite since the originals sucked ass. I mean YJ doesn’t count cuz it existed beforehand and Stargirl now belongs to CW so… everything else was a load of :poop::poop::poop:

1 Like

Yes, but there was a time where everything was all in one place, and you only had to pay for DCU annually, not monthly like HBOmax does (which I understand why). I personally thought this was unnecessary when the change was announced, mostly because back then, DCU was the only streaming service I had and was interested in, I personally don’t give a horse’s droppings about Netflix, Hulu, or whatever people watch these days, and I didn’t have any interest in HBOmax. Mom and I recently got it because AT&T provided it for us with a customer loyalty package and I knew that I would use it because of the shows and movies being moved there, and we ended up losing our HBO channels on our Cable TV when we didn’t redeem HBOmax with the AT&T offer provider thingy. (Pardon my lack of tech knowledge here).

TL;DR, everything was within only one service called DC Universe, and it was financially convenient for many people back then, no one had to pay extra, unless you were someone who genuinely wanted HBOmax anyway.

1 Like

I wanna know what the @moderators think

It could break the tie, but they are probably not allowed to publicly say.

1 Like

they’re not?