DCU or DCUI

Now that we’re a few months past the release of DCUI, I’ve decided to see what you all like better. This is in terms of the content, presentation, and everything related to it. When I say DCU, I mean the streaming service, not all of DC.

So, what do you like more?

• DCU
  • DCUI

0 voters

5 Likes

DCU probably. It was far from perfect and very buggy at times, but it just holds such a special place in my heart that DCUI will never be able to live up to. DCU was the place that revitalized my love for comics. I found this incredible community and finally catching up on all the classics I had missed out on. On top of that, it was kind of incredible to have a designated site for ALL DC content.

On top of that, DCU just felt so much smaller and more niche than DCUI does. It felt up and coming, a place for only the most dedicated. I love DCUI and all the people here, but nothing can really compare to the quaint and up-and-coming DCU.

5 Likes

DCU it had shows and movies and the reason Infinite exists is because DC wanted more money so the moved those to HBO and then raised the price for DCUI. For me the 6 months earlier relase is not a big enough compensation as I usually just read the old comics.

4 Likes

I kind of wish there was a dark mode for DCUI though.

3 Likes

I would say DCU because everything was in one place but I definitely don’t hate DCUI what so ever. They’re both amazing.:+1:

3 Likes

I love seeing the recommended comics for movies and episodes. It is how I found the introduction of The Crime Syndicate and the Justice Society.

2 Likes

I voted DCUI because the intention/offering is clear. DCU was great, and would have received my vote, if they were actually able to fulfill the “one stop shop for everything DC” that was implied in marketing the service.

3 Likes

all the shows are on hbo max though

1 Like

This is really split half and half! I didn’t expect that!

1 Like

HBO Max does not give comic reccomendations. I still love it like Daffy loves his “pawade fwoat.”

2 Likes

lol.

hbo max has the shows and movies.

DCUI has the comics.

1 Like

this is hard, i really liked both

3 Likes

With how close this is the entire fanbase is counting on your vote, watching you, depending on you.

2 Likes

thanks now I’m really stressed, :grinning:

2 Likes

As you should be for voting against me. I have just sent an army of rabid bats to you. I suggest investing in an army of starved owls.

2 Likes

Both have their pros and cons.

DCU was great because it was nice to have an all-in-one service for everything DC: comics, movies and TV. Plus, the Roku app was awesome, and I dearly miss it. Besides being able to watch all of the shows and movies from a dedicated DC app on my TV, having the comics on my TV was a super nice and really cool feature. We had our own news section and encyclopedia, both of which I also miss, with exclusive articles and features separate from the main DC site. As for the community, as previously mentioned, it was smaller and more “quaint” in those days, and for some reason, I feel like it was more active. I remember seeing more users (and more different users) making more posts (and more different kinds of posts). Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong places, but to me, the community just has a different feel these days than it did a year or two ago. It was also nice when @Applejack was more active in the community; I am happy for her that she got a promotion that gives her more responsibility, but it also keeps her from participating in the community as much as she used to, and it’s always nice to have that one person who’s like the leader/captain of the organization. It doesn’t feel like this community has that as much these days, either.

As for DCUI, I was initially skeptical and displeased with the DCUI launch but, three months later, nearly all of the launch day problems have been solved or cleaned up, and in fact, several improvements have been made over DCU. Namely, the DCUI behind-the-scenes staff seems to be more attentive and responsive to error reports than the DCU behind-the-scenes staff ever was. And that’s even taking the layoffs and the new staff coming in and learning the ropes into consideration. When I’ve reported comics out of order on series pages, or missing issues, I’m now noticing that they’ve usually been corrected within two weeks. Whereas previously, with DCU, it would take months or more, with multiple reports needing to be made, before an error would be corrected (if the error would even be corrected). So that’s already a massive improvement. I like that we now have more prestige, graphic novel, Vertigo and Black Label titles than we previously did (though I continue to hope that more will be added). And the debut just a few days ago of the new comic issue cover overlays has already placed DCUI leaps and bounds ahead of DCU. Simply put, and as promised, there is definitely more attention being paid to DCUI than there ever was to DCU.

So, ultimately, it’s hard to choose. I think I definitely preferred the “feel” of DCU, when it was like a special club just for DC fans. But as great as that was, I’m very happy with how DCUI has homed in on the comics, becoming more focused on making that aspect of the product as good as it can possibly be. It’s a fair trade-off, and one I appreciate.

6 Likes

oddly enough a bunch of owls live by my house

4 Likes

wait! @Izzy11 is Owl-Man!!!

@MatthewHecht get her!!

Wait, @Izzy11 you’re a girl right?

So why are you Owl-Man

1 Like

sorry if I just assumed you gender…

2 Likes

yes girl, not owlman, just someone who lives near a bunch of owls who like to hoot loudly when I’m trying to sleep :rofl:

3 Likes