DCU Exclusives Will Only Be So Temporarily

Most streaming services do that with their hit shows. I am sure people will complain I just don’t think they have a point.

3 Likes

In my opinion I’d rather spend around $80 a year than $50 for 12-24 episodes per season

3 Likes

People love collecting

1 Like

@Applejack

For people mentioning the lead time between DVDs for this service vs Netflix I think there is an important difference:

Netflix as a company makes most of their money via streaming so it only makes sense for them to wait as long as possible before releasing the show on DVD. The longer the show is only available through streaming the more subscriptions they sell.

DC Universe is part of a much larger network of channels that serves to push a variety of products in different formats for WB as a whole. Netflix also likely has to share DVD sales with the companies that actually produce their content while WB is making pure profit off their’s.

So long as the physical release of these shows doesn’t mean that the earlier seasons become subject to rotation I am 100% fine with DVD releases.

4 Likes

@TheDemonEtrigan

Netflix produces a lot of their own content these days, so I would expect that their truly original (some of what they call original are actually imported content) stuff would be much like DC’s. Shoot, they’re even in the comic book business now with their deal with Millar World. Can’t wait for some of his stuff to make it to their lineup.

I’m glad the original content is still getting a physical release; you don’t want your enjoyment of media to be reliant on internet servers that may go down in the future. It’s why people still buy Blu-Rays even for films that are on Netflix. I dread the day when everything is digital and there’s no way to make DRM-free backups.

The shows being available on other digital platforms seem kinda pointless to me, though (I assume you can download episodes via the DCU app? If not, that may be one reason to get it on iTunes).

3 Likes