DCU Cookbook: Wonder Wings 🍗

A thick book sits idly on a newly renovated black counter. The cover tips open, the pages fluttering and revealing their stark emptiness. The book settles on the first page, letters glimmering to life in the new bright lights of the kitchen.

Welcome back! What a way to start off the new decade than with a lovely new kitchen, and a magic cookbook to fill!

Love cooking up a storm like Negative Man? Can you bake a pie as good as Martha Kent’s? Ever had a dream of opening your own DC themed restaurant? Like showing off how good (or bad) your food looks? Just… enjoy food?

Ready those stove-tops, dust off those oven mitts, and get ready to make some kitchen magic! Create your way to the top for a chance to be featured in our news section!

HOW IT WORKS

1. The first Monday of the month (except for this one :face_with_hand_over_mouth:), I’ll post a new recipe for you to try in honor of a specific DC theme or character.
  2. Create the recipe right in your own DC Kitchen, or make your own and give it a DC inspired twist in accordance with the month’s theme!
  3. Post pictures of your results here in this thread! Take a picture with a DC collectible or book of its inspiration, or bake an image right into it! The possibilities are endless!

THEME

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines
In honor of the highly anticipated film arriving on DCU this month, we’ll be focusing on this marvelous iteration of Diana and the heroes (and villains) that accompany her.

RECIPE
Here’s this month’s example recipe:

Wonder Wings

Ingredients

• Chicken wings
  • 12 oz. of cayenne pepper hot sauce
  • Canola oil for frying
  • 1 stick of butter or margarine

Preparation

• Heat 3 inches of canola oil to 375° F.
  • Carefully add the chicken to the oil. Fry until golden brown and fully cooked, or roughly 7 minutes. (The best way to know they’re cooked through is with a meat thermometer - find the thickest part of the meat, avoid the bone and make sure it’s at least 165° F)
  • Remove the chicken once cooked. Let sit and drain on paper towels while making sauce.
  • In a saucepan, combine the hot sauce and butter over medium heat. Once it’s just starting to boil, remove from heat.
  • Toss wings in sauce. Serve ASAP!

(I’ve got a baked recipe in the comments!)

YOUR TURN!
Post pictures and recipes of your culinary creations in the comments below! We’ll be picking our favorite to feature in the news section every month.

9 Likes

Hey @BestBeastBoy I definitely need some League help with my wings. I… might have overdone them just a bit. I’m not sure exactly what went wrong. They were fine one second, and completely black the next!

Do you think they’re still edible? :cold_sweat:

5 Likes

@ZatannaAndHerSpells Hey, at least we know they’re crispy!! :green_heart: And with enough sauce anything tastes good, right??? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Oh yes, @BestBeastBoy, they were definitely crispy. :joy: I slathered them in sauce and it nearly covered the burnt, ashy taste! Almost.

I wanted to do a tribute of the new Wonder Woman trailer, with an 80’s inspired iridescent plate and a golden placemat to represent her Golden Eagle Armor. I think I spend a little too long with placement!

I might try again this weekend. Do you have any super-tips to make sure they come out golden-brown and delicious this time? I’d love to try a golden sauce to drive home the idea of the Golden Eagle Armor wings. Any tips would be more than appreciated! :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Aww, those look like BBQ wings, so they don’t look like they turned out badly at all to me! But if looking for tips:

Tip 1: When salvaging what’s made, I’d say a different choice of sauce. Going with something cooling, like ranch or blue cheese might help. To me, BBQ or Teriyaki are strong enough in flavor to make anything taste better, too. Otherwise, I imagine adding heat to anything charred already burnt might make it worse. :hushed:

Tip 2: Watch them like a hawk and check every 3 mins. Since you’re frying, and not baking, you don’t have to worry about this, but still, speaking from experience (ahem, shared by a friend of mine, of course! :shushing_face:), not falling asleep while cooking helps. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Tip 3: I like things a bit charred, so I say accept them both as being beautiful and tasty in their own ways, because they are! :slight_smile: :heart:

5 Likes

@ZatannaAndHerSpells You may have better luck baking em! I can drop a recipe for that too, if you wanna try that route! It involves some cool science that makes the skin super crispy but doesn’t dry out the meat!

To echo @MissInkBlot the flavor might be the game changer! For the Golden Eagle Armor… maybe a Garlic Parmesan sauce? It aligns with what MissInkBlot said about staying away from hot sauces and would leave your wings golden!

3 Likes

Ohh, I’m loving the sound of that, @BestBeastBoy! :slight_smile:
Please let us know how it turns out if you try it that way, @ZatannaAndHerSpells! :plate_with_cutlery:

2 Likes

@ZatannaAndHerSpells and anyone else who wants to try it, here’s the baked version! See how that works for ya. Frying can be a messy deal!

Wonder Wings (Baked)

Ingredients

• 1-3 lbs chicken wings (I’ve used this recipe with 14 wings and with like 30 wings, it’s up to you)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 2 tbsp. baking powder
  • Cayenne pepper hot sauce
  • Butter or margarine

Preparation

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Rinse chicken wings and trim any excess skin. Do not remove the skin or you will lose the crispiness. Pat chicken dry.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and seasonings. Add chicken and coat with the flour mixture.
  • Prepare a large cookie sheet by covering with foil and spraying with cooking spray.
  • Arrange chicken on the cookie sheet, at least an inch apart.
  • Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning once after about 20 minutes.
  • While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce. Add about a 1/2 cup of the bottled Cayenne hot sauce and a stick of butter to a small saucepan. Heat on low and stir until butter is melted and sauce begins to bubble.
  • Transfer baked chicken wings into a large bowl. Pour the sauce over the crispy baked chicken wings and toss to coat.
  • Enjoy!

The chemical reaction between the meat and baking powder makes the skin really crispy but keeps the inside juicy and it’s amazing! Science!

2 Likes

@BestBeastBoy, Now you’re talking! Baked is my jam, so I’ll definitely be trying these out. I’ll make sure to post pictures when I do! :green_heart:

3 Likes

I bought new wings to try the recipe again but I didn’t know about the baking powder trick! :scream: I have baking soda, would that work?

1 Like

@ZatannaAndHerSpells Noooo, totally different stuff. That’ll taste absolutely awful, do not use baking soda. :grimacing:

2 Likes

@BestBeastBoy This is just the thread I was looking for, well basically. I enjoy cooking and especially Baking, I love cookies and cakes I have the worst Sweet Tooth

I see you haven’t posted anything in a while, but I’d like to share something here. And I will be getting around to trying those wings sometime soon.

Had to switch devices. This weekend I made some homemade Zebra cakes and in honor of Batman Day I made them Batman shaped, well most of them.

3 Likes

Those are so cute, and they look delicious! What is the flavor like?

1 Like

They seem to have gotten better overnight. close to the real thing, but a little waxy. Too much vegetable shortening, I think the next time I do this I will use less shortening and maybe try to find a substitute.

I am supposed to post the recipe so I’ll get that up soon if anyone else would like to try it.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Those look so good! :scream:

2 Likes