DCU Cookbook: Birds of Prey Cupcakes

Love cooking up a storm like Negative Man? Can you bake a pie as good as Martha Kent’s? What about tasty chili like Oliver Queen? Ever had a dream of opening your own DC themed restaurant? Like showing off how good (or bad) your food looks? Just… enjoy food?

Ready those stove tops, dust off those oven mitts, and get ready to make some kitchen magic! Use this month’s theme to create your own DC delicacy for a chance to be featured in our news section!

FEBRUARY THEME

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Just a few days from now a colorful array of superheroes will team up with Harley Quinn, arguably the definition of colorful in multiple ways. To celebrate this highly anticipated film, we’re making some multicolored CUPCAKES.

Now, feel free to just use the boxed cake and do nothing to it - nothing wrong with that! But I like a little more oomph to my cake, so I’m making some upgrades! Try it out and see how you like it!

RECIPE

Here’s this month’s example recipe:

BoPpin’ Cupcakes

Ingredients

Cake

• Boxed Funfetti Cake (‘Cause we’re fancy~)
  • Milk (Same amount as the water suggestion on the box)
  • Melted butter (Twice as much as the oil suggested on the box)
  • Eggs (1 or 2 more than what it says on the box. Use the 2 if you want them really rich)
    Icing
  • 3 sticks (12 oz) of unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 8 oz of mascarpone cheese, room temperature
  • ¼ cup heavy cream, room temperature
  • 2-4 cups powdered sugar (depends on how sweet you want it)

Preparation

First thing’s first, make sure you take your icing ingredients out ahead of time so they’re room temperature! If they aren’t, it may split! Splits aren’t usually pretty… :harley_hv_2: :joker_hv_3:

Cake

• Preheat oven to 350.
  • Prep your ingredients and line your cupcake tin with flashy cups!
  • In a mixer, pour in the cake mix, then add the eggs, melted butter, and milk.
  • Stir or mix on low for 2 minutes.
  • Scoop or measure the batter into your prepared tin so the cups are about ¾ full.
  • Bake for 20 mins, or you can insert a knife or toothpick and it comes out clean.
  • LET COOL! Otherwise the icing will just flop off. No one wants that.

Icing

• Make sure the ingredients are ROOM TEMP. If they aren’t, the butter may break!
  • In a mixer, beat butter, mascarpone cheese, and heavy cream on medium speed for 5 minutes until blended.
  • While that’s beating, sift the powdered sugar.
  • Incorporate the powdered sugar with the mixer on a medium or low setting until you’ve got at least 2 cups nice and blended. Stop the mixer and taste. If you want it sweeter, add a little more sugar.
  • Split into two bowls, color each with desired gel coloring.
  • Put a decorating tip in a large piping bag.
  • Put each color carefully into one side of that large piping bag; try not to mix them so you get the two tone effect!
  • Do some test piping to make sure it’s as evenly distributed as possible.
  • Use a circular motion to ice the cupcakes
  • Decorate with sprinkles!
  • Enjoy before going out to see Birds of Prey!

YOUR TURN!

Post pictures and recipes of your Birds of Prey inspired culinary creations in the comments below! Any iteration, any member! We’ll be picking our favorite to feature in the news section every month. And be sure to let me know how you like the movie! I really can’t wait to see it, myself.

15 Likes

Opening day tickets reserved. Center spot for perfect acoustics. Got my DC shirt & buttons picked out.

3 Likes

My mouth just watered! I’ve got a fail-safe cake in mind… if time pans out, I’ll whip it up later in the week and share the results :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wish I can grab the cupcake out of my screen and eat it! That look so good @BestBeastBoy! :grinning::cupcake:

4 Likes

@capo-mage Yep, got my tickets when they went on pre-order! I’m super psyched! Woohoo! I wonder if there’s gonna be cosplayers… I hope so!

@CynicalPink Yesssss! Your stuff is always such a treat to behold! You’ve got a whole month, so no rush!

@Reaganfan78 You flatter me! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: They were REALLY good, though! The buttercream was amazing with the cheese in it - not too sweet! Just right.

6 Likes

Ah, awesome! I didn’t realize we had the whole month. I blame my drooling over the cupcakes for the lousy reading skills!

3 Likes

@CynicalPink No worries at all!! :relaxed: It’s a new format so it’ll take some getting used to. I figured everyone would like some more time to work on their ideas and bring them to life!

4 Likes

There’s usually some. For joker I had shirt with a bunch of characters, but Joker & Harley dead center. My Harley & Ivy buttons & I was underdressed. Hope there’s more again this time. Suicide Squad I went midnight show b4 u could reserve seats. So an hr early & everyone in line was Harley or Batman & Joker. Or had DC jerseys & shirts on. That was great. A whole line of us out the door in a roped off waiting area.

2 Likes

@capo-mage That’s so awesome! I love big premieres like this. :star_struck:

2 Likes

I’m so stoked. Amongst the multiple others Huntress is a dream come true for me. :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Hey @BestBeastBoy, I was thinking you should make a cookbook and sell it in DC shop exclusive. I’m sure it would be a hit! :grinning::hamburger::taco::moon_cake::cookie::doughnut::coffee::spaghetti::green_salad::pancakes::baguette_bread:

4 Likes

@Reaganfan78 I’d buy it!

4 Likes

@Reaganfan78 @CynicalPink Oh man I’d love that! For now, I’ll continue to build it here with you fine folks! My favorite part of this is seeing everyone else’s creations!

4 Likes

So pretty :star_struck: I adore the color pallet of the movie and you nailed it!

4 Likes

@biff_pow Thank you so much! I love working with anything brightly colored and/or rainbow, so this was a real fun project. I’m excited to see what colorful stuff y’all come up with!

3 Likes

Saw movie and loved it! Making these asap!

4 Likes

@kenabonita.88508 Welcome to the community! We’re glad to have you here and that you enjoyed BOP!

When you do make 'em, be sure to share pics! Seeing what y’all do with these ideas is the best part of this thread!

1 Like

Harley’s DUMP Emancipation Cake

Dump cakes (yep, that’s the real name) are one of the fastest and easiest “cake” recipes on the planet (it comes out more like a crumble). Usually they’re made with only one fruit, but if there’s ever an occasion to get messy and colorful with a recipe, this is it. :rainbow:

Ingredients (Harley-palette!)

• White cake mix (though you can swap for yellow)
  • 1 can of crushed pineapple
  • 1 can of cherry pie filling*
  • 1 can of blueberry pie filling*
  • 1 stick of butter

* I didn’t have any pie filling on hand, so I went with what’s in my cupboard (and what you see in the pic). If you decide to try the recipe, I HIGHLY recommend you pick up something like this instead. Way closer to the colors I was going for.

Steps

1. Dump the cherries in one bowl, and the blueberries in a second bowl.
  2. Dump half of the crushed pineapple in with the cherries, and the other half with the blueberries. Mix both well.
  3. Fill half of your cake pan with the cherry-pineapple mix, and the other half with the blueberry-pineapple mix.
  4. Pour the dry cake mix over the top of the fruit, and gently smooth until level.
  5. Cut the butter into thin square pats, and spread them evenly across the cake.
  6. Cook at 350F for about 45 minutes-1 hour
  7. Serve with ice cream or whip cream.

(Made this over a week ago and just got to sharing the photos now. Sorry! Didn’t get any of a cut piece.)

2 Likes

@CynicalPink Holy crap I’m gonna have to try this! I love dump cakes! It looks so good. Color that hyena green and it’s me right now. :green_heart:

2 Likes

Hahaha, enjoy! It’s always a winner when I bring it to parties. :wink: People are impressed until you tell them how easy it is to make.

2 Likes