DCU Book Club Week 97: THE RAY (2011-), #1-4, July 20-26

“Lucien Gates’s life is changed forever when a mysterious beam of energy turns him into a glowing gladiator—and being a human ray of light comes in handy when his city suddenly comes under attack from giant, building-sized monsters.”

Greetings DCU,

Thanks for stopping by! We will continue the fun in the summer sun, with The Ray!

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, July 20, 2020 and Sunday, July 26, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read :books:

THE RAY (2011-), Issues 1-4

:sunny: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading The Ray (2011-)?

2. Prior to this story, what did you know about the Ray’s powers? Did you learn anything new about his powers from this story?

3. What do you think of Lucien?

4. Which character(s) in this story would you want to see in future comics?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story!

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

3 Likes

:bulb: Did you know the Ray’s first appearance was in SMASH COMICS #14, 1940?

I didn’t know the Ray has been around for so long!

Check out the DCU Encyclopedia for more info on the Ray.

Discussion for the Ray is open all weekend! :sunny:

Yes first time reading this series.

The powers that I knew the Ray had were flight, basic light constructs, and the ability to turn into his pure light form. I didn’t know that at least in this version that he can’t wear any clothes and that he can use light to get around that problem. The other new power to me at least was his ability to manipulate someone to change their destiny and his own.

I like Lucien in the fact that we get to see a different version of the Ray but I didn’t like all the changes that they made in this version. I liked how even though he messed up with his girlfriend he was able to correct his mistake and get another chance with her. One change that they made that I wish would of stayed the same as other versions was him being straight.

I think besides Lucien I would like to see Thaddeus and the guy at the end of the series. I would like to see the guy at the end to see who he was and to see if he was a part of the Freedom Fighters or another group all together. I think Thaddeus would be interesting to have come back at some point to see if he ever remembers his past as the evil director.

A good introduction to the Ray just wish the series would of lasted a few more issues to see how everything played out or a tie in to another comic to continue the story.

1 Like

Hi @Lecouch84 I hope you’re having a great weekend!

The clothes part was a shock to me, and it was pretty funny. :laughing: I was stunned that he was able to convince Thaddeus to change destinies. Thaddeus’s power is pretty intense, I’d like to see more of him in the DC Universe.

This was my first time reading the Ray, so I wasn’t sure about how he was changed for this series. I’m familiar with him from one of the CW Arrowverse crossovers, but that’s all I knew going into the story. And this “the Ray” is different from the Arrowverse “the Ray”.

I thought her dad was funny:

I agree with everything you said. This guy :arrow_down: is really interesting. I wanted to read more about where that idea and storyline was going.

I really liked Lucien’s parents too, they cracked me up. :laughing:

Thanks for joining in for this discussion and for sharing your thoughts!

1 Like

I loved this panel of the Ray’s face