DCU Book Club Week 93: SHAZAM! (2018-), Shazam and the Seven Realms, #1-6, June 22-28

“The superstar team of writer Geoff Johns and artist Dale Eaglesham reunite to launch the first all-new SHAZAM! monthly title set in the DC Universe in almost 20 years! (What took you guys so long?!) Teenager turned super-hero Billy Batson struggles to balance school and superheroics! (Guess which one is more fun?) But when Shazam unlocks a shocking secret deep within the Rock of Eternity, it challenges everything he knows about the worlds of magic and his family’s future as its champions! Also, witness the bizarre team-up of Dr. Sivana and Mr. Mind as they set off to build a society all their own! Don’t miss the start of an epic run in the making as “Shazam and the Seven Realms” begins!”

Greetings DCU,

Thanks for stopping by! For week 93, we are reading the adventures of the “Shazamily” as they journey through the Seven Realms. Get ready for twists, turns, villains, heroes, and family as we read through this epic tale!

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, June 22, 2020 and Sunday, June 28, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read :books:

SHAZAM! (2018-), Shazam and the Seven Realms, Issues 1-6

:zap: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Shazam and the Seven Realms?

2. What was your favorite plot twist or reveal?

3. Based on the name alone, which Realm would you have voted to go to first, and why: the Funlands, the Darklands, the Gamelands, the Wildlands, the Wozenderlands, or the Monsterlands?

4. What was your favorite panel?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story!

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

6 Likes

It’s amazing how the comic came close looking like the movie before it came out! It’s a fun book to read!:grinning:

2 Likes

Bookmarked, I only read the first two or three issues of this when it came out.

1 Like

Hi @Reaganfan78
After the reading the comic, I wanted to watch the movie again! The storyline in this comic is completely different than the movie, but it brought back lots of fun Shazam! movie memories for me.

1 Like

Welcome @Don-El! Glad to read through a few more of the issues with ya’!

1 Like

I’ve kept up with this title since the beginning. I love how fun and imaginative it is. Definitely does the classic Captain Marvel character justice.

1 Like

Hi @SethMac

I’m happy to hear your praise for this run!

Same!

Hello and Happy Friday! Discussion for Shazam lasts all weekend :zap:

1 Like

Not a bad reading this time around, thanks for inviting us to read along, @JLWWSM !

1. 1st Time Reading? As I may have mentioned, I did purchase the first two issues of this run before going fully digital for my DC comics. I hadn’t gotten around to reading the rest of these issues yet, so a nice excuse to set aside some time this weekend to dig in!

2. Fav Plot Twist: Enter the Black Adam!

3. Realm I would have voted to visit? I guess the Wozenderlands seem the safest, although I have no idea what that is…

1. Fav Panel? I have 2:

That wild / innocent attitude of Darla’s is exactly why most species on the planet have parents to watch over their young, lol.

The King is Here!

Final thoughts on this recent run of Shazam:

Overall the art is above average to great, although when other artists pinch hit for Dale E, it’s very noticable and a tad painful, I assume that’s is one reason they chose to have some gaps in the publishing later on this (the next issue appears for us in September, then November).

This adventure in magic lands by a family with special abilities absolutely has parallels with the Narnia books and films. I will not be surprised to see division between the foster kids, with at least one of them falling to temptation by whatever the Snow Queen is here, which brings me to my final thought for now.

The plot is a tad too much on steroids. I would have enjoyed this just as much with half the number of threats / villains / reveals for these 6 issues. I think the 3 hour 2 minute Avengers Endgame movie last year had less going on threat-wise, and that was across time AND realms, lol.

Thanks again for posting, it is indeed a sharply-produced comic. Nice to see issue 12 finally arrive this month brand new (a year after this issue 6 we read here).

2 Likes
  1. Is this your first time reading Shazam and the Seven Realms?

I remember reading the first issue when it showed up on here a while back, but never got back into it until now. Now, I’m peeved that there isn’t more of the series to read! I need to see what happens next!

1. What was your favorite plot twist or reveal?

I think I’d go with Mary revealing to their foster parents who they are. That’s a pretty crazy status quo shift to happen so early in a series (though honestly it’s probably for the best because I can’t imagine they could have not figured it out on their own).

1. Based on the name alone, which Realm would you have voted to go to first, and why: the Funlands, the Darklands, the Gamelands, the Wildlands, the Wozenderlands, or the Monsterlands?

Name alone, probably either the Funlands or Gamelands.

1. What was your favorite panel?

Shazam Bunny. I need more Shazam Bunny.

3 Likes

Another great selection. I have the first 3 issues but fell off afterwards. One great thing about this app is being able to revisit runs that you didn’t finish or ones your on the fence about continuing to have in your pull list. I’m just now seeing this entry and will be checking them out this week.

3 Likes

Yes first time. I did see it when it first came out and was interested in reading it after seeing the movie but forgot all about it until this week.

My favorite reveal was Tawny the tiger in the Wildlands. It was a cool way to introduce him and maybe even become part of the family.

If I had a vote I would probably have gone with the Funlands. It would seem like the coolest place to go first and with fun in the name how could you go wrong.

My favorite panel was

or the Dr. Sivana vs Black Adam fight.

Another great choice but now I want to know what happens next.

3 Likes

HI Don-El!

When he showed up it was like the whole book amped up! I was not expecting to see him.

I’m curious to see what the Wozenderlands will turn out to be.

:laughing:

Thanks for reading the issues and sharing your thoughts on the run!

2 Likes

Hi Jay_Kay!

Haha! Same.

Same. I wasn’t expecting that so early either.

Both sound fun!

The bunny is so cute :heart_eyes:

Thanks for sharing and reading along!

2 Likes

Hi @Aquamon

I couldn’t agree more!

For me, this series amped up at the end of issue 4, then I couldn’t stop reading. Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

1 Like

Hi! @Lecouch84 I hope you’re having a great week :slight_smile:

YESSS! The reveal was amazing. I can’t wait to see where the Wildlands story goes.

Yeah, it has “fun” in the name, I would’ve wanted to go to the Funlands too.

I really love Mary! She shone brightly in this series.

As always, thanks for reading along and giving us your thoughts on the series!

1 Like

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Shazam and the Seven Realms ?

Nope, I read the first few as the came out.

1. What was your favorite plot twist or reveal?

Not exactly a plot twist, but I loved the backstory “reveal” of Mary’s past. Plot twist wise, I was excited to see Black Adam return and surprised by Mary telling their parents.

1. Based on the name alone, which Realm would you have voted to go to first, and why: the Funlands, the Darklands, the Gamelands, the Wildlands, the Wozenderlands, or the Monsterlands?

Funlands, probably, although that might depend on what type of games I think are in the Gamelands at the time of my choosing.

1. What was your favorite panel?

I really liked Mary and Billy bursting free in the chapter 6 title panel. I enjoyed seeing the two getcsome focused time/development together.

I liked this series and the art, though the first issue is my favorite. I liked the character focused short for Mary and was looking forward to similar shorts for the others. The family dynamic and learning to work together and how to superhero was interesting and fun, but that tone seemed to get lost in a rush of plot and adventure. Don’t get me wrong, the Magiclands are an interesting enough concept and I think a book like this needs adventure, but I think we needed a bit more introduction to the characters, both as kids and as superheroes. For example, what are their individual superhero names? How did each adjust to their new family (like the Mary short)? I assume some of these questions were planned to be answered later…

2 Likes

Same here – I was hoping each issue would have something like that and was a little disappointed when there wasn’t. We kind of get a flashback for Eugene when he’s in the Gamelands, but that’s about it. It’s honestly a bit of a detriment to this group of kids, I think, because while I like them well enough, I don’t really find much character in some of them other than really Billy, Mary and Freddy.

Hopefully future issues of the book work to give the rest of the family some more focus and show off their characters a bit more.

1 Like

Hi @c02goddess.16092

:heavy_heart_exclamation:

:laughing: good point!

absolutely! Great to see them together.

Thanks for sharing! @c02goddess.16092

1 Like