DCU Book Club Week 85: HAWKMAN (2002-) Issues 1-4, April 27 - May 3

“The Winged Warrior is back! Carter Hall soars through the skies as Hawkman in a series of new adventures. Hawkman and Hawkgirl set up in their new stomping ground of St. Roch, Louisiana, but the question is: who’s stomping on whom? They’ve allied with a failing museum, only to find they’re underdogs fighting against a corrupt city government and a madman who will do anything to eliminate them!”

Greetings DCU,

This week, we visit Carter and Kendra as they kick off a new adventure in Geoff John’s Hawkman!

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, April 27, 2020 and Sunday, May 3, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read :books:

HAWKMAN (2002-), Issues 1-4

:eagle: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Hawkman (2002-)?

2. What is your history with Hawkman?

3. If you had to work with Cooperhead, what would be one of your rules / requests of him for a good partnership?

4. What was your favorite or standout moment?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story!

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

2 Likes

I’ve read John’s run on Hawkman 3 or 4 times and love this opening arc. What the heck, it’s only four issues, so I’m in.

2 Likes

Fantastic! Welcome! @msgtv

1 Like

Geoff Johns run was great

He handled both.Hawkmab and Hawkgirl very well

His Carter has a lot of Indians Jones in him.

My Hawkman.is the one from the 1960s.

I loved them as a married couple and as a true team. .I felt adult when I read about a married couple who both were competent people.

2 Likes

Hi @TurokSonOfStone1950 It’s so great to see you :smiley:

Thanks for sharing your history with Hawkman!

I love stories with strong, competent power-couples. :muscle: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Ok, so I will just jump right in and answer the questions:

1. Yep this is my first time reading this run but it had been sitting in one of my lists for a while now so this was a good motivator to start. :blush:

2. I’ve been fascinated with Hawkman ever since Grant Morrisons run on JLA (Morrison wasn’t allowed to use him, hence he created Zaureal). Just the idea that a character had such a consulates history that he was off limits even to the top writer of the time got me curious.
    I have also always loved the idea that Hawkman is part Indiana Jones and part magic story, its a very intriguing idea that has a lot of possibilities.
    Recently I have been catching up on the current run and it is amazing, if any of you have not rad it yet, I can not over recommend it.

3. I think the obvious answer would be don’t eat me lol

4. Shadow thief asking if they ever did the deed while flying was the standout moment for me because well lets be honest, its a valid question lol.

It was an enjoyable read and I will keep going with the series but I was disappointed. I think that has to do more with having read the current run so recently that I wanted to read more of that Carter Hall and it distracted me from truly embracing the Carter I was reading.

Anyways those are my initial thoughts as I digest what I read.

2 Likes

Hi @TheLastGL

I love when that happens!

I like your description!

:laughing: in addition to that, I’d say don’t eat in front of me - I do not want to witness it!

:laughing:

I’m happy you are reading multiple runs, it’s always fun to compare and contrast them.

Thank you for jumping in and sharing your thoughts with us!

Thanks for the feedback and it’s great to be here

1 Like

Man, that was a fun read. I’ve read this story 4 or 5 times now. It is cinematic. Literally, when I think about making a Hawkman movie this is the tone, type of story I want. Johns, Robinson, and Morales made a story that just jumps off the page. I grew up on Katar Hol, but really prefer Carter Hall. Space cop is not unique. Reincarnated Egyptian rulers, destined to find each other and fall in love in every life is so unique.
Couple of stand out scenes for me. First, starting off with Hawkman bludgeoning his way into a hijacked plane. Later, Kendra and Carter agreeing to be ‘partners’. Every fit scene. Emotionally the high point is Carter being pushed too far when they tried to make him a slave. This is a good use of his ability to remember his past lives.
For Copperhead, no eating on the job. I can’t have him taking a big snooze in the middle of a gig.

4 Likes

Hey there! @msgtv

Yes! So unique!

I couldn’t agree more!

Wow you picked beautiful panels. I was just staring at them. It’s gorgeous art.

:laughing:

Thanks for joining in for a re-read! As always, it’s great to hear your thoughts!

Discussion for Hawkman is open throughout the weekend!

1 Like

I love how you describe it as cinematic because that perfectly encapsulates the story. I was searching for the right word to describe it and that’s it.

2 Likes

Hello! How are you all pronouncing St. Roch? Is it like rock or roach?

1 Like

Hi @ralphsix

I’m not sure if I’m pronouncing it correctly, but I’ve been calling it “roach”.

My mind does different things with it. Sometimes it says Roke.

1 Like

Ohhh! I like “Roke”. I’m going with that!

1 Like

Like a bug

Yes first time reading these issues.

My history with Hawkman has been what we have read in book club, Legends of Tomorrow the first season, and animated shows and films.

I think my one rule would be if we were not in a fight I would not want he to be contorting his body because it would probably freak me out a little bit more than I would like to admit.

My favorite moment was

I think this moment was cool because it just shows how cool it would be to fly in the open air.

2 Likes

Hi @Lecouch84

Cool! Legends was the first time I remember seeing them.

Good one! :laughing: I got shivers just thinking about that.

The artist did a great job of conveying that feeling. It’s a beautiful panel.

Thanks for reading along and sharing your thoughts!

1 Like

No, I have the Omnibus for the whole shebang on this one, so I’ve read this a couple of times.

My fandom goes way back to the Shadow War of Hawkman. I think he’s one of the best characters from a visual sense. It was terrible how messed up his origin got when the made Hawkworld cannon, and I love how the current series is making it all for even more effectively than Johns did.

I would not work with Copperhead and you can’t make me!

I love pretty much any splash page with the Hawks. The first two screenshots @msgtv has up there were definite standouts for me.

2 Likes