DCU Book Club Week 82: ACTION COMICS Issue #1000; April 6 - April 12

Celebrate 1000 issues of Action Comics with an all-star lineup of top talent as they pay tribute to the comic that started it all! From today’s explosive action to a previously unpublished tale illustrated by the legendary Curt Swan to the Man of Tomorrow’s future—this very special, oversized issue presents the best of the best in Superman stories! Includes pin up pages from Walter Simonson, Jorge Jimenez and John Romita Jr. Plus, a previously unpublished story by Paul Levitz and Neal Adams! FEATURING ALL-NEW ART AND STORIES BY: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS, JOHN CASSADAY, OLIVIER COIPEL, PAUL DINI , JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ , PATRICK GLEASON , BUTCH GUICE , GEOFF JOHNS , DAN JURGENS , TOM KING , JIM LEE, CLAY MANN , BRAD MELTZER, JERRY ORDWAY , LOUISE SIMONSON , SCOTT SNYDER , CURT SWAN , PETER J. TOMASI, MARV WOLFMAN …AND MORE!

Greetings!

Now more than ever, we could all use a little hope. That’s why this week at DCUBC we will be reading and Discussing Action Comics #1000, a collection of Superman stories.

I hope you all are staying safe and most importantly healthy.

How to join the fun:

*Start reading here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read the issue between 2020-04-06T05:00:00Z2020-04-12T05:00:00Z:alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Action Comics #1000

• What does Superman mean to you?

• Which story did you enjoy the most?

• What was your favorite page or panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

4 Likes

I could use some Superman, I’m in!
:superman_hv_5: :superman_hv_6: :superman_hv_4:

I really enjoyed this issue. Much better than 'Tec #1000.

Moooommmie! That’s the one big giant Action comic!!!

1 Like

I feel the exact same way!

1 Like

I’ve been looking forward to this all week! Can’t wait to read it this weekend :smiley:

I really enjoyed this entire book. It starts off great for me with this alternate cover by Dan Jurgens. I think Jurgens has a nice take on the character in both his writing and his pencils.

The first story is a very solid example of why Superman does what he does. He’s not looking for thank you’s, his doing it because he thinks it’s right and it’s his duty. But that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t slow down once and awhile and hear how he impacts others. it’s great that his friends made it possible for him to do so.

Another favorite is the Johns/Donner story. You know immediately what that car represents, but then they take it even further with Superman trying to give someone an extra chance, a break they need to go right.

I know there’s some complaints about Bendis and his run on Superman so far, but I’ve enjoyed it. Just read Young Justice #1 for World of Wonder and these two ladies from the coffee shop appear there too, so that’s fun.

I was really taken by this panel the first time I read this. In the middle of a fight, Superman does everything he can to not go flying through this window because he needs to protect people from the effects of his fight.

And the big question. What does Superman mean to me? When I was very little, we had Batman and Robin beach towels we would wear as capes and would slide down the bannister at grandma’s house totally consumed by the television show. But, when I graduated from reading Sad Sack, Hot Stuff/Wendy/Casper to superheroes I always got Superman first. I’m not sure if I was attracted to the colors, or the flying but there’s something about the weight he carries, the responsibility he assumes for others that speaks to me. I didn’t read many comics from about '96 to '99. We had little kids, moved twice, grad school, just a lot going on. I started reading a little bit again, then getting ready to travel one day I picked up a few comics to read. One was an issue of Superman where he saves a Soviet sub with a leaking nuclear reactor. Years later, the captain of that sub is a farmer but he’s dying from cancer. We see Superman during the course of the year plow the fields, care for them, harvest them for that dying captain. I love that story. It’s why I read comics.

2 Likes

Wow… Thank you so much for sharing that. Exactly what i was looking for. That, to me is also what Superman means to me. Other heroes like helping people sure. But there is also a thrill there for all of them.

I don’t get that from Supes. He just loves to help people. In any way he can. His way of helping just involves spandex, flying, and punching bad guys.

Loved this panel too. I can almost hear it in my head.

Thanks for reading!!

1 Like

I’m curious to hear what story is your favorite!

Hope everyone has a great Easter Sunday!

2 Likes

No I have read this issue in the past and really enjoyed reading it again for book club this week.

All the stories were awesome but for me two stories stood out the most and they were Faster than a Speeding Bullet and From the City that has Everything. I enjoyed Faster than a Speeding Bullet because you are on the edge of your seat knowing that somehow Superman will save the woman but not knowing that she herself gave him the time that he needed to pull of the remarkable save. I also enjoyed From the City that has Everything because it shows that everyone is a fan of Superman even the Justice League and Lois will do anything to help Clark see what he means to Metropolis.

My favorite page was

because first of all she made a joke about Batman but also that he is just as inspired by us as we are by him.

This is a big question. Superman was one of the first if not the first superhero that I was introduced to a young kid. He was the one superhero that always inspired me to go out of the way to do what was right not always what was easy. Superman has always been a favorite of mine and hopefully will always be. It’s because of some of these stories that I’m still a Superman fan today.

2 Likes

Hands down my favorite! [quote=“Lecouch84, post:11, topic:851788”]
I was introduced to a young kid. He was the one superhero that always inspired me to go out of the way to do what was right not always what was easy.
[/quote]

I too was introduced to him at a young age. This is probably why he still resonates to this day. He’s always something to strive for.

2 Likes

Interesting to read this one more time. I recall two years ago when it came out, seeing the massive number of issues my local humble comic book shop had invested in. I waited weeks befoee finally plunking down cash on this one, as the price and the fact that it wasn’t tied to any at that time current Superman storyline was daunting. Three months later I leapt at the chance to buy into the then new DC Universe in hopes of avoiding spending that kind of cash on comics I can enjoy the art and writing just as much digitally for a tiny fraction of what I was spending on DC comics that year.

1. First time: no, second.

2. What does Superman mean to you? Well, the Superman TV show is one of the first TV experiences I recall from my dim memories of the late 50s- early 60s. I was 5 years old in 1959. So between that and then in 1964 getting bitten by the super hero comic book addiction bug and trading comics with kids that had stacks of Superman Giants etc, he’s been a hero deeply etched into my definition of what good superhero stories are all about.

3. I honestly enjoyed several of these equally. Seeing Brad Metzler join in when I don’t believe he ever regularly wrote Superman, along with Tom King who would soon after this pen that memorable Walmart 100 page Giant run and also Paul Dini’s whimsicaL and fun “magical” story was all good. I suppose the Louise Simonson / Jerry Ordway story hit me hard, as it reminded me of that golden 90’s Superman “triangle” era. I’m surprised Roger Stern wasn’t invited in on this party too.

4. Favorite panel is the last that intros the Bendis storyline.

• First time reading!

• Superman is a symbol of hope, but also a symbol that anything is possible (a man can fly). Also Aliens don’t have to look like the scary-looking movie aliens, and maybe they don’t all want to take over the world. They could be altruistic and inspiring too!

• I really enjoyed the first one. It was the big “thank you” that I wanted to see. I loved that Diana was the first leaguer to speak to him in that story. I also really enjoyed the chess game with Luthor and the story where we got to see a typical day in the life of Supes - balancing saving people on trains, working, saving people from robbers, etc. I enjoyed all of the stories, but those were my favorites.

• Favorite panels
    You know you’re in trouble when someone calls you by your full name :laughing:

This is so true, I teared up a bit at this panel:

Side note, I want Superman earrings

Thanks for the pick @MattMcDonald! I’ve been meaning to read this for a long time and it was worth the wait!

2 Likes