DCU Book Club Week 78: NIGHTWING: THE NEW ORDER issues 1-6; Mar. 9 - Mar. 15

Yes

I was always partial to Roy Harper’s relationship with his daughter. Too bad we had to leave that in another continuity.

Jake, but I think that was intended by the writer.

I dug it when a Lex claimed to be Supe’s deity. I thought: Yep, that’s Lex alright!

1 Like

Absolutely! That was classic lex.

1 Like

Dynamite pick.

It’s so classic Nightwing. That sense of motion is incredible.

3 Likes

Not sure about the cucumber sandwiches but other than that I’d be cool with Alfred being my dad.

2 Likes

:raised_hands::raised_hands:

• Is this your first time reading Nightwing: The New Order?

Yep – overall I enjoyed it, it was a very interesting alternate universe, using these characters in ways that reflect more of the modern concerns of freedom and security we’re dealing with today.

• What DC Universe character would make the best Dad?

That’s a hard one, and kind of dependent on what one thinks makes a good father. I think I’ll also go with Alfred, because while he does all the fatherly things like being present and taking care of the kids, I think the most important thing he does is create a sense of independence. He doesn’t try to make the kids he’s raised go down a specific path, he just gives them the guidance to find the path that’s best for them.

• What character was your favorite?

While I get why a lot of people are choosing Jake, even though he narrates a lot of the story, I don’t think there was really enough of him as a character for that to be the case for me. I think I’ll go with Dick himself, because of the way this story allowed him to be the bright, optimistic character we know and love him for, while still being very flawed and, IMO, completely in the wrong for most of the story. It makes for a very interesting character arc for him (even if I feel like the way he turned around at the end felt a little sudden).

I also have to give a nod to the “Titans Resistance,” or whatever they were called. That was a pretty interesting team, and I would have like to have seen how they got together. I mean, I need to know how Lois Lane got a Blue Lantern ring.

• What was your favorite page or panel?

There’s a couple of really good ones, but one that comes to mind is the big double-page spread at the beginning of issue 3 I believe, with all the heroes on one page about to collide with the villains on the other. It’s classic superhero iconography, and kind of illustrates the problem that all the characters are dealing with in some form, whether it’s stopping it from ever happening again, or trying to bring back a gilded age but better.

3 Likes

Ah yes! This one!

It’s from issue 2 and it’s stellar!

I feel the exact same way. It’s crazy that Dick still feels like Dick in this story. Too often with books like this the characters don’t feel like they should.

1 Like

Yes first time reading this series.

I think the obvious answer is Alfred because he has guided all of the Bat family in finding their way through some difficult situations in life but also helping them find their own path even if he didn’t always agree with it. I think it would be interesting to see Kilowog or Cyborg as a father in some form or another.

I don’t know if I liked any character better than any other but some definitely stood out and would like to know more about in this timeline such as how Lois got a blue power ring, how Beast Boy lost his powers of shapeshifting, and what made Kate and Dick’s relationship feel so distant.

My favorite panel was

I was shocked when I first flipped to this panel and even though I know Alfred can’t live forever it still feels like he has wisdom to pass on down to Jake and Dick before I saw this panel.

Thanks for the awesome pick this week @MattMcDonald. I really enjoyed seeing this future of Dick Grayson.

3 Likes

@SethMac I agree this panel was pretty impressive

2 Likes

Absolutely.

What a absolutely shocking panel. Great pick! Thanks for reading! :heart:

2 Likes

That for sure was a finely-crafty piece of writing! HIggins is so good at presenting plot situations where each opposing side has good points and bad points to the new world vision they are fighting to have.

1. First time reading, had no idea this even came out. I normally check out at least the first few issues of something by Kyle Higgins, at least for what he does at Image…

2. DC Universe character make the best dad: I think Superman would have been a great dad, too bad his kid was yanked from him to raise, sigh…

3. Really Nightwing / Dick Grayson was the most compelling and tragic character to me here.

4. Favorite page was towards the end when Nightwing’s son tells him “I wish I could have been as good a Robin for you as you were for Batman” to paraphrase.

Other favorite art / panels:

Thanks again for running this super cool club!!!@

1 Like

Ooh, those would be cool! Kilowog would be interesting to explore to see how he shapes and helps his child grow in a way that’s different from the poozers he trains. With Cyborg that would be very interesting because of how he would raise a child to see someone for their inside character, and how he would try as hard as he can to never be like his own father.

They do explain it briefly in the story – when Nightwing’s meta bomb went off, it happened in the middle of Beast Boy transforming, which is why he’s stuck in a half-animal form.

1 Like
  1. Yes, and it’s my first “Nightwing” title, although I’ve read some 80s Teen Titans.

2. Oh they’d all be pretty terrible really, constantly running off to try and save/destroy the world. Deathstroke would have to be up there though.

3. I was not expecting the Titans to show up that completely surprised me, I expected a more Gotham based story for some reason. I loved the “mature” titan characters. Cyborg for his sharp tongue and calling Grayson out for his hypocrisy.

4. So many! I loved the style throughout, especially the covers reminiscent of communist propaganda. I also loved the flash back sequences.

Overall I loved the concept of this mini-series. I wish they could have delved deeper into the moral quandaries, Grayson’s hypocrisy, authoritarian societal impacts, but it was a very focused story and I give it props for keeping the father-son relationship front and center and never losing its focus.