DCU Book Club Week 78: NIGHTWING: THE NEW ORDER issues 1-6; Mar. 9 - Mar. 15

NIGHTWING: THE NEW ORDER is the story of a future world without “weapons”—where superpowers have been eliminated and outlawed. The man responsible? None other than Dick Grayson, a.k.a. Nightwing, now leader of a government task force called the Crusaders who are charged with hunting the remaining Supers. But when events transpire which turn the Crusaders’ aim toward Grayson’s own family, the former Boy Wonder must turn against the very system he helped create, with help from the very people he’s been hunting for years—the last metahumans of the DC Universe. Don’t miss this bold new vision from the team behind the New York Times bestseller BATMAN: GATES OF GOTHAM!

Greetings!

This week at DCUBC we catch up with a much older Dick Grayson, as he wages war against super powers. This alternate take on the DC Universe is one you’re not going to want to miss!

How to join the fun:

*Start reading! Issue One is available here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all six issues between 2020-03-09T05:00:00Z2020-03-15T05:00:00Z:alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Nightwing: The New Order?

• What DC Universe character would make the best Dad?

• What character was your favorite?

• What was your favorite page or panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

5 Likes

Can’t wait to hear what everyone thinks!

2 Likes

Nice! This is one I’ve been meaning to read, if not just for having a sort of crazy Elseworld style story that isn’t just with Batman or Superman.

1 Like

Wait did I accidentally order more Nightwing? I’ll be there with bells on! I bet I like this older Nightwing guy!

I will have to go check if there was a Futures End Nightwing as well… yup, but not exactly what I was expecting…

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/-/bb6639ec-cd9e-4a7c-a621-1126f5443735

1 Like

Older Nightwing is really missing his ponytail…

1 Like

YUUUP. I always love seeing elseworld stories that focus on characters other than bats/supes.

Excited to read this. My first DCUBC read! AND my first solo Nightwing book read.

3 Likes

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

And welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I’m thinking “Higgins, Higgins where have I run into Kyle Higgins before… I seem to recall it was a good reading experience…”
Oh yeah I sunk money into the two volumes of his series from Image, C.O.W.L., about a union shop for superheroes in Chicago, and its history through the years. It had a very Watchmen kind of feel to it. Yep looking forward to reading this one.

1 Like

2 issues in and loving it. Why doesn’t this have an Elseworlds label? Does DC not do that anymore?

2 Likes

Should I read it?

1 Like

Definitely. It’s a really interesting take on an alternate future of superheroes. There’s some crazy twists. And the art is solid.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll start reading :blue_book::sunglasses:

2 Likes

He also wrote Nightwing for a good chunk of the New 52 run, and he co-wrote Gates of Gotham with Scott Snyder. Outside of DC, he also wrote a lengthy run of Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers for Boom which was surprisingly good, from what I’ve read.

3 Likes

Anybody know of other Trevor McCarthy books? I’m really diggin’ his art. The action panels, for instance in issue 3 or 4 (?) when Dick jumps down from the top of a building and we see each movement he makes along the way, makes for a really fluid pacing. His inks are fantastic. Nice thick, weighted lines that really define the focus of the panels and make the images pop. I’d love to see some of his other work.

EDIT: Looks like he and Higgins did Gates of Gotham together. Thanks for mentioning @Jay_Kay

2 Likes

Good Stuff I had no idea! Thanks @Jay_Kay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please drop by and let us know what you thought!

1 Like

I’m about to read the last 2 issues.

Great read!

• First time reading it.
  • I think the best dad in the DCU would be Alfred, hands down. He’s got a wealth of wisdom, he’s always there to take care of you, and he’s an amazing cook.
  • My favorite character in this story has gotta be Jake. Both of his parents did not deal with this situation well AT ALL. Grayson was too hardlined and stubborn about how he thought the world should be. And Kori abandoned them from the get go. That cliffhanger at the end of issue 1 when we see Jake has powers was when I knew I would like this story. I can’t imagine being in that situation, your dad being who he is and doing what he did in Metropolis. That struggle is what makes Jake’s character so interesting to me.
  • I have a couple favorite pages that are sticking out to me currently. The first one is page 9 of issue 3 in the digital reader. As I mentioned above, I really love Trevor McCarthy’s use of motion in this. And his illustration of Grayson, strategically jumping off the building is just so cool. My second favorite is page 21 of issue 5 when Superman kills Batman. It’s a tragic page, but the use of color and inks on that page are AMAZING.

Those are my initial thoughts on the read. Thanks for introducing it @MattMcDonald! Hope to see what others thought of it.

Cheers!

1 Like

This looks fantastic and I’m looking forward to reading it!