DCU Book Club Week 75: BLACK ADAM, THE DARK AGE (2007-) Issues 1-6, Feb 17-23

Is this your first time reading Black Adam: The Dark Age?

Yes it is! Overall I liked it. It’s been a while since I read 52 so I was a little lost on some of the specific things it mentions (the stuff with Felix Faust and Ralph Digby confused me at first), but it works well enough as it’s own story.

Black Adam tends to fight with, well… everybody. Which fight - or moment - stood out the most to you?

I don’t know if there’s a specific fight that was memorable, but one moment that I really liked was how he approached the veterinarians to be healed. First he threatens them to save his life and not turn him over, then he seemingly leaves them to their own fate. Then, when the weird black ops guys (run by someone named “Mister J,” which is a weird nickname for anyone in the universe not named The Joker, IMO) tries to kill them, he comes back and saves them by horrifically murdering said black ops guys.

It just really goes to show Teth’s complex/muddy ideas of morality and justice.

Were you surprised by how the story ended? Why or why not?

I mean, I kind of figured that he would probably use too much of the power Faust offers that it completely destroys the chance of Isis coming back, but I didn’t expect Faust to pull that double cross. Very curious to see where that goes, I may have to go and look at that Justice Society arc.

What do you think of Black Adam? Does this story change your previous perception of Black Adam?

I think he’s a really interesting villain…I don’t know if I’d go quite as far as to say “anti-hero,” because he definitely leans more villain, but he’s one with an interesting moral code and values. Especially post 52, he really feels like DC’s Doctor Doom, someone who can be looked as either a great, strong leader of his nation, or as an absolute tyrant with twisted grudges.

2 Likes

That was going to be my question too

Read the thoughts above, let me echo that this is one of my all-time favorite mini-series. It looses nothing on a second reading. Teth had it all. A wife that loved him, a son-like figure in her younger brother, a country that needed and appreciated him, even a funny talking animal. Then in it’s not just taken from him, its shredded in the most horrible way. If you’re Black Adam, why try to play at being the hero, what did that get you?
Again, I guess I’m not surprised that when you ask for everyone’s favorite fight they answer with something that’s not a fight. For me, it was the vets were the moment. This image.

I also really appreciated the book’s depiction of a country in the aftermath of a violent conflict. A conflict that the everyday people who live there didn’t ask for, but paid the price for.

Maybe this would be easier if Isis was so good, and so good for Black Adam

Okay, disembowled Snow Monster pulling Adam up by his own guts, is pretty awesome.

The pencils, inks, colors are spectacular.

2 Likes

Somehow, a Black Adam movie franchise has to work this in

1 Like

I have to imagine they will have Isis in the movies somehow – though probably with a different name, for, well, obvious reasons. :sweat_smile:

I know they won’t, but I’d like them to give a finger to those ■■■■ heads. She had the name first.

1 Like

Hi @Jay_Kay

I agree. This story really showcased his complexity. One moment I’m rooting for him and in the next moment I’m face-palming!

The author led us down a path so we’d think one ending would happen and then it switched on us. And at the same time, it’s Felix Faust so we kinda knew something would be amiss. I really liked the twist ending (also, poor Isis!).

Thanks for sharing your reactions and reading along!

2 Likes

Hi! @msgtv

Black Adam vs. the Snow monster was my favorite fight and favorite moment

I think that’s a great callout. I agree.

:paintbrush: :art: :pencil2: :100:

I’m so happy to hear that. :blue_heart:

Thank you for revisiting this and letting us know what you think!

2 Likes

Okay. somebody lend me their copy please, I’m going to read this today hopefully.

2 Likes

Yes this is the first time reading this series.

I think the fight that stood out the most was him against Hawkman. I think that it stood out the most to me because you learn about Black Adams past and see the power that he possesses while destroying Hawkman’s mace. The moment that stood out was probably when he resurrected Isis and her body started to fall apart while he was still talking to her.

I was surprised by how the story ended. I wasn’t expecting Black Adam to just disappear without exacting some kind of retribution against Faust. To me it kind of felt out of character in this story and other versions that I have seen of Black Adam.

I think Black Adam is more complexed then I have realized. He always seemed to be more destructive than of a family man until this series. I think this series gives him more depth as a character and shows that he could of been a different person if certain circumstances would of been different.

After this series I have to say I’m looking forward to seeing how they portray Black Adam in his upcoming movie.

2 Likes

Hey there @Lecouch84

That was a cool scene with Hawkman! When Isis started falling apart I was horrified :scream: That was well illustrated and well written. I was completely drawn in.

Great point! I hadn’t thought about that. I thought he was just so emotionally distraught and blaming himself that he just flew off. But in thinking about it now, I think it was out of character for him too. [quote=“Lecouch84, post:30, topic:670360”]
I think Black Adam is more complexed then I have realized.
[/quote]
Same. I’m looking forward to how he is portrayed in the movie. I hope they bring the depth of character we see in this series.

Thanks for joining in and sharing! :smile

1 Like

Throughout the story I was thinking “poor Isis”. She’s killed, then brought back, only to fall and horrifically and die again, then brought back but put into a trance and kidnapped by Faust.

Black Adam keeps trying, but fails! He could’ve brought her back in the beginning but was missing a finger. Then in the end he flew off too quickly to ask questions of Faust, or to inspect the bones. Come on Black Adam, you can do better! :laughing: I think he’s so emotionally involved in this quest that he can’t see straight. He needs a team, but he sacrificed them (and literally ate one of them) to survive.

I rooted for him and also said “no!” He’s an entertainingly complicated character.

2 Likes

That’s what I want to see, a team centered around Black Adam.

1 Like

It’s on DCU under Black Adam. Also you had a copy in your hands before you mailed it back to me recently. You shoulda read it before you mailed it back :stuck_out_tongue:

lol

Also if you want to get a good idea of what Teth-Adam was like before he went to the dark side for cookies read JSA #43 and #44.

1 Like
  1. It is!

2. Hard to decide. Black Adam spends 6 issues absolutely decimating people. Gun to my head choice would have to be Hawkman. Now that is a super hero fight. Seeing Hawkman absolutely bloodied at the end of it was so cool.

3. Absolutely haunting. I know he’s the bad guy but to see him go through so much, to do so much. And end the book completely broken and empty handed was so tragic. Faust playing him so hard just proves how desperate he was. It was so sad. Definitely caught off guard by the end.

4. This 100% changed my viewpoints on BA. I was practically sobbing at the end. I couldn’t finish 52, but now I want to. I want to know more about what led to this. I want more of this broken man.

@JLWWSM this truly was a special one. One of my favorites we’ve read. This book does such a great job of humanizing a villain is without making him a good guy. Capped off with one of the most heartbreaking endings I’ve ever seen in a comic. Really really excellent book.

This page is going to stick with me for a long long time.

3 Likes
  1. Is this your first time reading Black Adam: The Dark Age? I believe it is.

2. Black Adam tends to fight with, well… everybody. Which fight - or moment - stood out the most to you? The Hawkman fight, tough to watch since they were teammates not long before.

3. Were you surprised by how the story ended? Why or why not? It made perfect sense. Black Adam may be strong, very emotionally driven and a “King”, but he is no genius. Having Faust outsmart him makes good fictional sense, and made for a strong tragic irony as Black Adam left haunted while in actuality his brutality and tenacity actually paid off even though he may never realize it.

4. What do you think of Black Adam? Does this story change your previous perception of Black Adam? I liked him fine in JSA, but here he is not likable. What he is willing to do to get back his power and love is just plain black and white evil and wrong. Villain villain villain.

2 Likes

I’ve never read 52, and now I’m very curious about it too.

I’m glad you enjoyed it :smile:

Absolutely agree. I did not walk away from this one thinking he’s a hero, but I felt bad for the guy - he was just trying to reunite with his wife.

Hi Don-El

It was a good fight (sad to see them fight, of course, but I loved the art and emotional resonance of the scene).

:laughing: poor Black Adam

That fact that he may never realize it is such a good sting for this story. He actually succeeded - but may never know.

He’s got a one-track mind, for sure!

Thanks for reading along and discussing the story with us!

1 Like