DCU Book Club Week 75: BLACK ADAM, THE DARK AGE (2007-) Issues 1-6, Feb 17-23

Black Adam is a man responsible for widespread death and destruction. He is a man on the run from Earth’s heroes, who want to see him brought to justice. But Black Adam seeks justice of his own: the return of his powers and the love of his life—and he’s willing to sacrifice everyone and everything to get it!

Greetings DCU,

Shazam!

Isis!

Chocolate Egg Cream! - wait what???

Week 75! :partying_face: This week, we’ll spend time with an intense, devoted, and fiercely determined character: Teth Adam aka Black Adam.

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, February 17, 2020 and Sunday, February 23, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read: :books:

BLACK ADAM. THE DARK AGE (2007-) Issues 1-6

:zap: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. Is this your first time reading Black Adam: The Dark Age?

2. Black Adam tends to fight with, well… everybody. Which fight - or moment - stood out the most to you?

3. Were you surprised by how the story ended? Why or why not?

4. What do you think of Black Adam? Does this story change your previous perception of Black Adam?

As always, we’d love to hear your candid thoughts and reactions to the story.

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

4 Likes

I can smell what Black Adam is cooking, and this book kicked ass, so I’m in for a heaping plateful of it. :plate_with_cutlery: :shallow_pan_of_food: :cloud_with_lightning:

2 Likes

#PrayForShazam :rofl:

2 Likes

Chuck can take The Scorpion King, no problem.

1 Like

Good luck, Chuck! When standing between Black Adam and Isis, he’s gonna need it.

1 Like

That’s when you call in Chuck’s galpal, actress Yvonne Strahovski (aka the best live-action Black Canary that has yet to be).

1 Like

This is still probably hands down my favorite miniseries ever. It definitely gave Black Adam even more depth as a character. If you’ve followed his story through JSA and 52 related comics that lead up to it you start to realize just why he went off the deep end so badly. His entire family has been murdered not once, but twice. It doesn’t really feel like much of anyone gave him any sympathy. What happened to a lot of those people that were killed might not have even been entirely his doing if you’d read 52 before this. He doesn’t expect to believed, so doing anything but shouldering all the blame seems pointless to him. The fact that that everyone turned on him for trying to go after the people actually responsible is probably what pushed him to take things that far. I seem to remember Atom Smasher being the only one that even questioned whether he was entirely to blame or not. I’m sure in his mind, it seemed the heroes were more focused on punishing him than going after those that actually caused the entire disaster to start with.

4 Likes

Hi @Aurora

Thanks for providing background for us! :smiley:

Congrats to Black Adam for making into this week’s poll!

1 Like

Aka the best outside media Batwoman yet.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay In the words of George McFly:

“You’re right. Well, you’re right.”

Booster Gold will always be my favorite post-52 book, but this mini…MAN, it’s a very close second. Great writing, beautiful art, it’s just the total package, and then some.

resumes reading

2 Likes

Oh, no…I caught this when it was released and I agree with everyone else: this is a great series.

The moment that stood out the most this time was the conversation he had with Atom Smasher. It’s pretty sad given what their relationship has been through, and I thought the exchange was pretty intense.

Originally, yes, but it is Faust so you had to know something was coming. (I don’t remember what happens after this, though. Where would I go to find the next part of their story?)

I love what Geoff Johns did with the character, making him more believable and complex. That definitely made him a top tier villian. I look forward to seeing what the movie does with him.

1 Like

Digging in tonight! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Hey there @ralphsix!

Cool pick! I was on edge through the whole scene. It hit an emotional cord.

The next part of the story is Justice Society of America (2006-), Issue 23

Black Adam and Isis’ part 1! The JSA faces one of their greatest and most personal enemies—Black Adam! The sorcerer Felix Faust has imprisoned the soul of Isis, Black Adam’s deceased wife; now that the Black Marvel has figured that out, nothing will save Faust from his wrath…

Same here!

Thanks for revisiting this series and joining in the discussion!

2 Likes

Cool! :sunglasses:

Thanks for the link. I may try to fit it in between club reads, because I really don’t remember what happens next.

1 Like

I have so much reading lined up, plus some reading for tutoring, plus work, and life and stuff. But, I loved this series when it came out. So, I downloaded the issues on Monday hoping I could fit them in. Issues 1-4 at lunch today, so I’ll be back.

2 Likes

Thanks for joining in!

1 Like

The next part is in the 2006 Justice Society of America, Issue #23

1 Like

There I fixed that last post…