DCU Book Club Week 74: THE SILENCER Issues 1-6; Feb.10-16

“CODE OF HONOR” part one! She’s one of the DC Universe’s deadliest assassins…and you’ve never heard of her. Super-strong, highly trained, armed with devastating and stealthy meta-human abilities, the Silencer is virtually invincible. Or at least she was. After decades as Leviathan’s chief assassin, Honor Guest put in her time and managed to get out with her skin intact. Now she lives a normal life with a normal family in a normal house on a normal street. But the past has come back to haunt her in the form of her old employer and a deadly new mission…and Talia Al Ghul won’t take no for an answer.

Greetings!

This week at DCUBC we are ditching the capes and spandex in favor of bullets and blades. The Silencer is filled to the brim with top notch action and fantastic art. I can’t wait to hear what you think!

How to join the fun:

*Start reading! Issue One is available here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all six issues between 2020-02-10T06:00:00Z2020-02-16T06:00:00Z:alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading The Silencer?

• What did you think of our protagonist, Honor Guest?

• Which action sequence was your favorite?

• What was your favorite page or panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

6 Likes

4 Likes

Nice! This is the first time reading it, it’s a book I’ve been interested in checking out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Same here!

2 Likes

I know I picked up the first issue. But then I think there was a solid 3 months where I didn’t get to my local comic shop.

Once I did manage back I think I’d forgotten completely about this series. I’ve been looking for an excuse to read it and now I have one.

2 Likes

Hey keen, a New Age book! I’ll re-read The Silencer any 'ol time.

Should The Immortal Men come along as a DCUBC entry, I’d happily attend that party.

1 Like

Well that was a fast 6 issues.

This is my first time getting past the first issue. The art and writing were fantastic.

I thought they did a good job at introducing and expanding Honor’s universe a little, giving her believable backgrounds with Deathstroke and Talia, and including the Maulmart as touch of how much this goes on under people’s noses. Reminded me a little of John Wick.

I’m not sure what her powers are beyond the zone of silence, which is a very interesting and different power. I liked seeing it used creatively - keeping action from attracting attention, hiding where she was by silencing gunshots, throwing off pursuers etc.

Does she have any super strength? It seems like it, I almost attributed it to the suit, but then remembered in issue one she took out the cyborg without the suit.

I think I liked the Maulmart scenes the best. Her interactions with the worker there, how she used the place to her advantage (as well as Guille using it to his - hiding in a safe room).

@MattMcDonald already posted what I think is the best scene. Perfectly sets up the rest of the book, and you spend 5 issues getting back to that panel.

Sad I missed this when it was on the stands, maybe I’ll pick it up to add to my collection.

2 Likes

I’m scared, but I’ll check it out.

1 Like

One of my favorite parts of the book. Does so much for making this world feel real. Defiantly shades of John Wick there.

Thanks for reading! :blush:

1 Like

Can’t wait to hear from all of you!

1 Like
    Yes
    She’s an interesting character that has emotion and carry to her
    Honor vs Deathstroke
    Page #8, Issue #6
3 Likes

There’s definitely some intended references. Like I’m pretty sure that the moment in the first issue where Honor stabs Overkill with the pencils she bought at the store was supposed to be a call back to this:

2 Likes

DQs:

1. I read The Silencer as it came out. This is, however, the first time I’ve re-read #'s 1-6, which was alot of fun to do.

2. Honor is badass, and I like her tenacity in dealing with Talia.

3. Can a cover count for favorite action sequence? I really like the cover for #4, as you know Honor is a tough cookie when she can stand up to Deathstroke.

4. Ooh, tough one, but I’ll have to go with any scene that featured Honor and Talia.

A pick of rapid-fire badassery, @MattMcDonald! :metal:

3 Likes

I totally missed that reference.

She kills with what, 10 pencils. A little different than 1, but just as effective.

1 Like

As always thanks for reading :blush:

1 Like

Good catch! Thanks for sharing that!

1 Like

I’ll allow it, only because of how cool it was. Face to face with Deathstroke takes some stones for sure.

4 Likes

No problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m eager to see Honor in outside comic media. I’d love to see her pop up in Young Justice s4 or heck, get her own DCU Original animated series.

Dream big, I say.

1 Like
    Yes, but I enjoyed her appearance on Season 7 of Arrow. The silent action sequences on the show were memorable and unique, and I’ve wanted to read this series for a while. After reading this first arc, I’ll be binging the rest of the issues.

Definitely different from her Arrow appearance, I was expecting the main thrust of the story to be the Underlife, but was pleasantly surprised to see that it was really about escaping one’s past.

The diner battle in issue #6 had me at the edge of my seat.

1 Like