DCU Book Club Week 72 JUSTICE LEAGUE/POWER RANGERS Issues 1-6; Jan. 27 - Feb. 2

Two of comics greatest teams team up for the very first time! Something terrible has happened in Angel Grove! When the Command Center is breached and the teleporters are damaged, Zack is flung into another universe, where he’s mistaken for a villain by a mysterious masked vigilante. Can the other Power Rangers get to their friend in time to save him from Batman? Co-published with BOOM! Studios.

Greetings!

It’s Morphin’ time! This week DCUBC is jumping into Justice League / Power Rangers. The crossover you never knew you wanted! I can’t wait to hear what you think!

How to join the fun:

• Start reading! Issue One is available here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all six issues between 2020-01-27T06:00:00Z2020-02-02T06:00:00Z:alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Justice League / Power Rangers?

• What is your history with Power Rangers?

• Which character did you like the most?

• What was your favorite page or panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

7 Likes

It’s Morphin time! Go, go Power Rangers :musical_note:

I remember buying this series, issue by issue, as it was published. Really looking forward to revisiting it!

3 Likes

Nope, bought every issue as it came out. Same as JL :slight_smile:

Been a fan since I can remember. MMPR is the first Ranger series I watched. My older siblings had VHS tapes of it and they’d constantly run reruns of it.

Power Rangers: Kimberly. Always Kimberly.
Justice League: Wonder Woman

There are so many good panels. I’ll have to revisit this series again.

1 Like

It’s Morphin’ Time!

Okay, being a kid of the 90s, I have a LOT more experience with Power Rangers.

I distinctly remember being super into the original show, and as a kid I think I watched the show up until In Space. I also was into the movies, loved the first one as a kid (and I distinctly remember annoying my mom with way too much McDonalds to get all the MegaZord pieces). and remember the movie where they converted into rescue vehicles, but not the name. Also, anyone else remember the Christmas special/cassette they did?

More recently I haven’t seen much with it. I watched the most recent Power Rangers movie, which I thought was pretty decent. I also got the first volume of the modern comic series on Kindle as a freebee offer they did a while back, but haven’t read it. I think I’m going to pop that file open, though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just finished issue 1 and I like where this going! LOL.

3 Likes

If you read again do let us know if your opions change with a re read. Thanks for dropping in! Always nice to hear from ya!

Ahhh it’s so fun!

Okay so that’s a long history with Power Rangers. Wow! Can’t wait to hear what you think of the book.

I bought this by issue too! I was hooked when this was coming out!

1 Like

I (somewhat) recently read this, so I’ll jump into Zee Questions:

1. I read this mini about a month or so ago. I usually think crossovers of this nature SUCK, and hard, but this one was surprisingly good. I’m glad Lord Zedd was the heavy on the Power Rangers side, as he is unequivocally the best villain from that franchise.

2. History with Power Rangers, well:

• In the summer of 1993, I read an article in a toy magazine (Toy Collector, I believe) that was talking about upcoming dinosaur themed toys that were eager to get a taste of that sweet, sweet Jurassic Park scratch, and Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers was one of the many product lines mentioned, so that’s where I first heard of the property.

• A few weeks before MMPR debuted on TV, I saw the toys at Target. I didn’t have much interest in them as they were around the 8" scale, which was of no interest to Kid Me at that time.

• After the show hit big, there was a kid in my 5th grade class who insisted on having Power Rangers toys that didn’t exist at the time. He’d insist he had a Putty action figure and I replied “You can’t, because it doesn’t exist yet”.

I read the toy mags of the day and knew what Bandai was making and had on the way for Power Rangers, but nope, that kid somehow still had a Putty action figure. Uh, huh…

• Like most kids of the time, I was hooked on the show and watched it consecutively. I couldn’t get home from school fast enough on the day the episode that revealed the White Ranger’s identity was to air. “Just who was it that made Kimberly faint?” I thought to myself on my way home.

• I had a few of the toys once Bandai introduced smaller scales into their lineup. Despite enjoying Power Rangers (and it’s knockoffs such as VR Troopers, Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad and the like) on TV, I just didn’t find the toys that interesting, so I sold them in early 1996.

• In 1995, I was excited for the MMPR movie, but summer 1995 was all about Congo, Batman Forever and Waterworld for me, so the PR movie waited until it hit VHS. I rented it from Blockbuster, and upon seeing it, felt bad that my parents couldn’t get a refund for the rental.

I can enjoy a silly, goofy movie as much as anyone and while MMPR will never be on the level of Hitchcock, that first movie really sucked. It’s saving graces were Kimberly, the Falcon Zord and Ivan Ooze being played by Paul Freeman (Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark).

I tuned out of the Power Rangers franchise sometime during Power Rangers: Zeo (which eventually starred the lead from VR Troopers). Justice League/Power Rangers was the first time I’ve paid attention to anything Power Rangers related with more than a passing glance since 1996.

1. Favorite characters would be Superman and Lord Zedd.

2. No favorite pages or panels come to mind, but the writing was quite good overall, as I binged this series in about an hour’s time or less.

I generally haven’t liked Power Rangers since I was in my teens, but this book was a fun re-entry into the PR material I did like.

I sincerely hope someone is writing a Lobo/Lord Zedd comic, as that would be :metal: beyond belief.

Lobo: “I got your attitude RIGHT HERE (Lobo is pointing to his crotch, ala the cover of Lobo #1) Zordon!”

Lord Zedd: “Oh, I like you, Czarnian.”

Yes, and there’s reason for that:

Okay, I am just simply too old for the Power Rangers. I’m thinking about 10 years too old. I didn’t get them then and, truthfully, I don’t really get them now. How @Vroom felt about the movie? Sorry, but that’s how I feel about the whole Power Ranger phenomenon.

That being said, I still found this series to be okay. Not great, not bad, but certainly worth reading once. Only once in my opinion, but I didn’t hate it.

I liked Zach on the Ranger side, and Flash on the DC side.

Well, you’ll recall a few seconds ago, I hope, when I said I wasn’t all that into the Power Rangers? So, my favorite part was when they all dressed like characters from DC. And her asking to keep the boxing glove arrow was cute…I would want to, as well!

It’s Morphin Time! Great pick I love the JL and Power Rangers. Will do my best to get to this one but know this week is crazy busy. If I don’t, just want to say I approve of this thread :joy: :wink: :+1:

Yes
    The TV series
    Tommy :slight_smile:
    Issue #6, Page #17
1 Like

I love the sarcasm/comedy so far, like knowing the difference between a good guy and Batman is a “smile”, also is:

One of my favorite things about crossover books is exactly this. Thank you for sharing your storied history with the PR franchise. I always love hearing about people’s connections to different franchises.

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a shot!

I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of missing Power Rangers. I was too young to catch the Power Rangers craze. I probably missed it by a few years. It always seemed a bit too goofy for me.

If it weren’t for this book I’d probably know nothing about them.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl: ahh that moment is fantastic!

Y’know, looking at Diana’s face there, it makes me wonder just what else did Kimberly admit? :rofl:

2 Likes