DCU Book Club Week 67: DR. RYAN CHOI, the ATOM, JLA 2017 #12-17 + Li’l Gotham #24, Dec 23-Dec 29

“PANIC IN THE MICROVERSE” part one! It’s the story you’ve been waiting for! Ryan Choi leads the JLA on a rescue mission into the microverse to rescue his long-lost mentor, Ray Palmer, the original Atom, and unravel the mystery of his disappearance in DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1!”

Plus, ever wonder what the holidays are like for Damian at Wayne manor? We’ll find out in Batman: Lil’ Gotham, issue 24.:christmas_tree: :batman_hv_6:

Happy Holidays DCU!

Thanks for stopping by for week 67,

This week we are highlighting Dr. Ryan Choi (aka The Atom) in Justice League of America (2017). Ray Palmer, the original Atom, is missing. Ryan Choi will lead the JLA to find him and along the way he will learn more about himself and his mentor.

As a BONUS, spend the holiday with the Bat-family in the quick-read and super cute Batman: Li’l Gotham, issue 24.

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, December 23, 2019 and Sunday, December 29, 2019.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read: :books:

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA (2017) Issues 12-17

BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM, Issue 24

:atom: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. Is this your first time reading JLA (2017-), Panic in the Microverse?

2. What do you like most about Ryan Choi?

3. What was the standout moment(s) in the story to you?

:christmas_tree: :batman_hv_6: 4. What was the most memorable moment in Batman: Li’l Gotham to you?

As always, we’d love to hear your candid thoughts and reactions to the story.

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

:clapper: You can watch Dr. Choi on the CW’s Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.

3 Likes

Tasty holiday treats, thanks!

1 Like

Can’t wait to see what shenanigans @JLWWSM has got for us this week!

Happy Holidays Book Club peeps!

:santa:

2 Likes

You’re welcome! @Don-El

Micro-shenanigans this time :laughing: @MattMcDonald

Happy Holidays to all!

1 Like

Discussion is open all weekend! Any thoughts on the books?

Yes this is the first time reading this series.

What I liked most about Ryan Choi was that he never gave up. He always can up with a plan even when there wasn’t an answer. He always used his head to think of a way to solve the problem to save the micro-verse.

My standout moment was

I also enjoyed the moment when the JLA first entered the micro-verse.

Some of the most memorable moments in this issue were Harleys rendition of the 12 days of Christmas, Damian telling Alfred that he lied about Batman not being born in a cave, and reminiscing all the moments of Batman’s history.

Really enjoyed both of these stories even if sometimes the science was hard to understand at times in the main story. Another great pick this week for book club. Hope everyone had a great holiday.

1 Like

Hi @Lecouch84! I’m so happy you enjoyed the books! And thank you, I had a fantastic holiday :smiley:

Yes - he’s awesome! That’s what I like about him too - he never gives up and he’s so smart! This was my favorite moments too because it explores what else make him special - his ability to see things from other peoples’ point of view.

Also - Killer Frost! - her crush on him was fun to read. I want to see where that goes.

I loved all of that too. It’s hard for me to think of anything I didn’t like in Li’l Gotham. This was my favorite moment because we see Damian, Batman and Alfred in a new light.

Thanks so much for reading along and sharing your thoughts!

1 Like
  1. Is this your first time reading JLA (2017-), Panic in the Microverse ?
    Yes

2. What do you like most about Ryan Choi?
    That he’s able to understand problems ad solutions better than Ray

3. What was the standout moment(s) in the story to you?
    Issue #17, Page 18

4. What was the most memorable moment in Batman: Li’l Gotham to you?
    Batman putting Damian to bed

1 Like

Hi @ProActress2O! I hope you’re having a great holiday season :smiley:

Awesome - I like that too. I’m glad Ray was able to see how amazing Ryan is, and to give him the Atom mantle. Ryan rocks!

Same :smiley: Bat-dad. :batman_hv_5:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts !

1 Like

No problem and thanks :smile:

1 Like

Fun read!

1. Yup, first time I read this one.

2. The insecurities of Ryan Choi are very relatable, especially when everything is new and outside a person’s comfort zone.

3. The initial scenes with the desperate suvivors were very moving, folks grabbing any straw of hope because they had nothing else… I’m pretty sure Mr. Orlando is referring to some Big Picture concepts about what goes on deep inside all of us as we deal with “the abyss” and the eventual end we all face, and our search for meaning.

I really liked the artwork. Overall I like Steve O’s writing style and the interactions he shows between the characters. He does a nice “homage” to the Sword of the Atom '80s run ( DC Universe) where originally Palmer falls in love with someone from a exotic culture in the midst of danger (and very different looking than him).

Thanks for posting. Too bad this form of the League was so short-lived, kind of a mini Suicide Squad mix of heroes and villains on a common mission.

1 Like

Hi @Don-El

That’s a great call out. It was a very intense scene.

Thanks for calling out the reference to the previous Atom run! It’s always fun to see how comics tie together and mirror each other.

Thanks for reading along and sharing your comments and thoughts on the story.

1 Like