DCU Book Club Week 64: BATMAN/ALIENS (1997) #1-2 Dec. 2 - Dec. 8

I’m glad you enjoyed it.

There have been additional Alien movies since Alien Resurrection (the one with Winona Ryder and Ron Perlman). They are:

-Alien vs Predator (2004)
-Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007)
-Prometheus (2012)
-Alien: Covenant (2017)

The first AvP movie was fun, and while Prometheus was lacking in some story elements, the photography was gorgeous, especially on a huge movie theater screen.

1 Like

If I’m ever flipping around the tv, and see one on, I’ll check it out. I’ll even think to myself, “Self, (that’s what I call myself), this is that Aliens flick your ol’ pal Vroom told ya about.” Heck, I may even toast one on your honor.

I did like Predators with Adrien Brody.

1 Like

Predators was pretty good. The first movie is a classic, and Predators 2…isn’t. I haven’t seen the newest one (The Predator, I think?) yet.

I’ve seen all of the Alien films. I love the first three, and I really like Prometheus. The others range from okay to AVP.

This story is a bit odd because it kinda resembles Predator as much as it does Alien. Then again, Batman vs. Predator was essentially just a better version of Predator 2. :wink:

I wonder if Ron Marz has an Episcopal background. In the story, Gantry quotes the Great Bible translation of Psalm 23, which is best known for appearing in the Anglican Book of Common Prayer. Most writers would just default to King James.

1 Like

I saw it. It’s just “okay.” Olivia Munn is good in it.

1 Like

Regarding the Predator flicks:

• Predator: A classic. “You are one UGLY mother****er!”
  • Predator 2: Uh…well…the scene at the end was cool. You know where the other preds show up.
  • Predators: Fun. It was interesting to see Adrien Brody play someone so different than his usual type.
  • The Predator: Haven’t seen it.

I think Fox needs to put the brakes on future Alien movies, as well as those featuring Predator. The well is getting dry.

2 Likes

I got the Aliens connection because of the marines following our hero, but that works too. Again, the soldiers in this comic don’t hold a candle to the soldiers in Aliens or Predator. No Sexual Tyrannosaurs among them.

2 Likes

Oo, we could have a while conversation on favorite Bible translations! “Are you down with NIV?” " Yeah, you know me! "

Or maybe not…

1 Like

So at work they have what they call “Online Grocery Pickup,” or OGP, and whenever people say the acronym I sometimes do the whole “yeah you know me!” No one gets it.

Part of me feels old whenever that happens, but then I remember I was just 3 when that came out and I don’t feel THAT bad.

2 Likes

You should feel good that you’re familiar with quality entertainment. If I worked with a guy who made Alien and Predator references, I’d high five him.

1 Like

That joke would feel more irreverent if Whoopi & Co. hadn’t already gone there. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Saint Whoopi is always saving me from irreverence.

2 Likes

Good 'ol Guinan…

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing these! They are very very cool!!

1 Like

We are glad to have ya! Hopefully next week’s book is more your speed!

1 Like

Glad you liked it! I had never read this, but it felt very nostalgic. I really liked it

1 Like

Same! I added this to a list a while ago of potential books for the club, because I thought it would be “so bad it’s good”

Turns out I genuinely loved it. It’s goofy as hell, but the Art is great. We get some cool scares too!!

1 Like

No biggie. It wasnt the greatest but i enjoy trying new things I wouldn’t otherwise. My hardcore comic fandom is fairly new and outside the club, im following somewhat of a reading order

NECA also produced additional DC/Dark Horse convention exclusive sets this year that featured:

-Superman and a Xenomorph (alien)
-Battle Armor Batman and a Predator
-Green Lantern and a Predator

I don’t have these sets, but the coolest one to me looked to be the GL and Predator set.

It has an interchangeable John Stewart head, so you can alternate between him and Hal, while the Predator is decked out in Sinestro Corps garb, which is actually comic accurate, as it appeared in the background of an issue of TSCW (Green Lantern #24 or 25).

NECA’s made other DC figures too, in varying scales including the Adam West Batman, the Christopher Reeve Superman, Keaton Batman ('89 suit), Bale Batman, Ledger Joker, Arkham Harley and more.

Their stuff may be brittle, but it does look nice.

• Is this your first time reading Batman/Aliens (1997)?
    Yes

• What is your experience with the Alien franchise?
    AVP: Requiem

• What did you think of Dead Man’s Hand?Who was your favorite member?
    I think it was great and my favorite would be Hyatt

• What was your favorite page or panel?
    Page 38

1 Like