DCU Book Club Week 62: MAN OF STEEL (2018) #1-6, Nov. 18- Nov. 24

Awesome thanks @Nathan.Payson! :smiley:

Is this your first time reading Man of Steel (2018)?

Like I said, I hadnā€™t read it before now, but I had heard enough of it when it came out that I had an idea of where the book would go. Overall, itā€™sā€¦okay. I feel like all the action stuff was kind of forgettable, but the character moments were solid, especially with Clark and Kara. In terms of ā€œbreaking things up to tell a new status quoā€ stories, Iā€™ve read better, but Iā€™ve also read worse.

How did you feel about Jon leaving with Jor-El? Was Jon wrong to want to leave?

I donā€™t think he was wrong to want to leave ā€“ not just because of his worries and fears about his ability to use his powers, but because itā€™s that whole classic Close Encounters of the Third Kind thing. Someone gives you a chance to go out into the universe, see things that almost no other human, even in this crazy superhero world, has ever seen with your own eyes? It would be hard not to turn that down.

Now, should he have? Well, I know where this story goes because the Internet is always talking about what horrible things Bendis is doing in comics, especially in regards to Jon, but while as I recall Jor-El did kind of try to calm down after The Oz Effect, he was still kind of super-villain-y. I guess Jon was trying to be like his dad ā€“ if someone whoā€™s done wrong decides to do better, Superman always gives them a second chance.

And as an aside ā€“ while I liked how they framed the flashbacks initially, with it being sort of like triggers in Clarkā€™s head as heā€™s trying to hide this event that heā€™s still kind of grieving over, butā€¦it took way too long to get to the Jor-El stuff. That wasnā€™t fully revealed until, what, issue 3, 4? Thatā€™s half way through this story. It really made it feel like unnecessary padding ā€“ they really should have introduced it sooner.

What did you think of our new Villain, Rogol Zaar?

When he first showed up, he seemed rather promising. I was intrigued when he talked about how Krypton was becoming more of a spacefaring culture and was concerned about it colonizing and potentially taking over ā€“ something I think the galactic community would definitely be concerned about if they found out that yellow sun radiation turned them into Supermen and Women.

So I was curious to see what his thing would be about ā€“ what was his story that would make him so concerned about the inherent dangers of colonialism that he would assassinate an entire world for it? But, much to my dismay, pretty much by issue three heā€™s devolved into nothing more than The Hulk with an Axe. I know heā€™s a player in the first arc of Bendisā€™ Superman, so maybe he gets more interesting stuff there, but really, I would say neat introduction, kind-of ā€œmehā€ follow through.

What was your favorite page or panel?

A couple of good moments come to mind.

I really liked the memorial for Kandor at the end ā€“ just excellent art by Jason Fabok.

The scene with Clark and Lois talking at the end and he gives her his super-suit. I have to admit, one of the things that bummed me out about Bendis coming to the book was the return of the red trunks. Like, I get it, itā€™s traditional, it was there at the beginning, that doesnā€™t mean it looks good now. Especially since the suit he got with Reborn was so freaking good. Itā€™s literally my favorite Superman costume. All that said, making the excuse to go back to that look being him wanting Lois to use the suit to protect her was a great way to get rid of it.

(It doesnā€™t explain why he didnā€™t just use the Reborn suit again after Lois came back, but I digress.)

Finally, I think my favorite scene is at the end when Clark is sitting in Jonā€™s room. It really highlights Supermanā€™s humanity, to show him missing his son.

1 Like

I just wanna say thank so much for not spoiling it :blue_heart: ! I donā€™t know where this story goes, but I have heard people complain. Iā€™m glad you didnā€™t spoil it so I can find out for myself and make my own decision.

Jon looks pretty young here. Iā€™m surprised they didnā€™t just say ā€œnoā€ for now, but he could go travel the galaxy when heā€™s a teenager.

1 Like

Yeah, but I can also see them thinking that would make things worse, since he was already not allowed in the Teen Titans for being too young ā€“ which is funny because I believe that was solely because Damian was really being a stickler to the exact definition of ā€œteen.ā€

1 Like
  • Is this your first time reading Man of Steel (2018)?
    Yes

• How did you feel about Jon leaving with Jor-El? Was Jon wrong to want to leave?
    Felt it was the right thing to do so he could learn more about himself and no, donā€™t think it was wrong.

• What did you think of our new Villain, Rogol Zaar?
    Think that heā€™s a good villain that would like to know more about

• What was your favorite page or panel?
    Issue #6, Page 17

1 Like

Just finished reading it. I enjoyed it. I think itā€™s very underrated. I thought about purchasing the graphic novel several times but I didnā€™t because of negative reviews. Iā€™m glad I gave it a chance so I can form my own opinion. If I had to rate it, Iā€™ll give it a 4 out of 5.

1 Like

No, Iā€™ve read this twice before, once recently. I like it overall, kind of a simple plot, really, so maybe too many issues here.

Jon is a little kid with superpowers and the chance to go on an epic space-adventure! Of course, he wants to go!!! I would, too, wouldnā€™t every kid? But weā€™re his parents right for allowing it to happen after everything olā€™ Granddad had some up to this point? Uhā€¦NO. That seemed really out of character to me and just an easy way for Bendis to get Lois & Jon offstage.

I may be in the minority, but I really dig Zaar. I like it when Superman has to take on force-of-nature type villians, and not knowing the true & complete backstory of this guy made him more intriguing to me.

Itā€™s too hard to pick so I wont, but I did enjoy the art throughout the series. It was purty to look at. I also liked the use of Hal even though his appearance doesnā€™t fit in at all with what was going on in the GL titles at the time. I thought when this came out maybe Bendis hadnā€™t actually been reading DC comics so isnā€™t know Baz & Cruz were on deck.

Hell, Iā€™m a thirty year-old man and I want to go on an epic space adventure!

I donā€™t see Hal being there as a big deal. Around this time you had Hal showing up in Flash for Barryā€™s birthday. You could just say that Jessica and Simon were dealing with something off planet, Hal was taking a couple days off and just happened to be there when all this went down.

1 Like

I like Zaar - especially his overall design and look. I just need more of his story. Which is a good thing.

1 Like

Yeah, but he has Hal reference going to a League meeting, and I think he introduced himself as Earthā€™s Green Lantern, or the Green Lantern or something like that. It just struck me as odd when it first came out.

I read The Man of Steel as it came out, and have re-read it a few times since then. After I made the switch from print to digital last year, this book was one of the first then-new titles I read in full via digital.

I was fine with Jon leaving as it gave him a new adventure to embark upon. What kid wouldnā€™t want to traverse the stars?

I like Rogol Zaar quite a bit. The idea of Kryptonā€™s destruction now having a face and name is interesting.

I feel some people seemed to think Rogol was going to be THE Superman Villian of Villains. Why, I donā€™t know, because he was never promoted to be that. Heā€™s just a new villain who happens to have a major tie to Supermanā€™s history.

Favorite page or panel: anything drawn by Jason Fabok in #6, but especially the scene where Kal and Kara are honoring Kandor.

I also liked the scene in #1 where the council is in talks. Ivan Reis can draw, and then some.

1 Like

Yes it is.

If I were Jon I would have gone with Jor-El also. I think he needed a place after being left out of the Teen Titans that he could be proud of and feel like he belonged. I donā€™t think that he was wrong to leave because he wants to know his place in the world, wants to know if he is supposed to be an influencer of good or bad since he as heard of other versions of himself in other dimensions. I was more surprised that Clark and Lois didnā€™t put up much of a fight in letting him go.

I liked him. I thought he is a villain that could go toe to toe with Superman and give him a run for his money just like Doomsday but with more of a reason behind his destruction not just to kill whatever is in his way. I would of liked to see more of him in this run but what we got more than interested me.

My favorite panel was

or seeing the memorial of Kandor

1. First time reading:no
  2. How did I feel about Jon leaving? As long as Lois went along I felt it was ok, although I still feel Jor-el is real real unstable.
  3. Opinion of Rogol Zaar? Itā€™s very difficult for me to buy into anyoneā€™s hatred of an entire planet, but as the story developed (and what happens in issues following with others being implicated in the crime) he becomes more believable as a character. As was stated above, he reminds us of Doomsday, but even more dangerous since he is also rational and hyperfocused on what he is destroying.
  1. Favorite page: the beginning of the last issue where Rogol is just hanging out in the Earthā€™s core tinkering with some gadget, Superman hovering nearby. Wild!
    Overall, I feel this series kicked off the Bendis reign quite nicely, the art was super as well!
1 Like

I guess they figured that with Bendis being the creator that he would want to push out his own creations more than anything else.

1 Like

This was my favorite part of the character. Design wise he isnā€™t my favorite, but I really liked that it challenged what we knew about Supermanā€™s origin.

1 Like

What an excellent moment. Thank you for pointing it out! This page hits so hard. Seeing this fantastical character having such a raw moment got me so worked up.

Also I love the trunks. Iā€™m very pro trunks.

Happy to see a Rogol fan in here! I would love to see more of what makes him tick. Thanks for stopping by!

I have a hard time letting my son go anywhere with my (somewhat) normal parents. So a trip across space with my once thought dead father would probably be out of the question.

Yep totally weird!

Well, no oneā€™s perfect. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Same! Itā€™s hard to do something ā€œnewā€ in the world of Superman. I applaud this storyā€™s ability to shake things up.